1969 twin reverb for $650?

echodeluxe

• Members

If you were to buy one you would probably require some tubes and a recap job. So the $650 goes up to $800-$1000 real quick.

They are also brutally loud. Ear ringingly, deafening loud. You would never get to open it up to it's sweet spot, around 7 on the volume knob.

depending on what "recently serviced" in that ad means; could already have been recapped and tubed.

Though it may also be that the tech told the seller it is in need of caps and they didn't want to dish the money out for it and thus are selling it.

• Members

Although seriously, its not like a set of caps on it are expensive, or take more than 25 minutes to replace...

Yes but many good amp techs have a minimum charge, and I have seen them advertising $195 per hour plus parts. The power caps on my non Fender 35 watt amp are easily over $100 to purchase from a low priced online supplier.

• Members

Yes but many good amp techs have a minimum charge, and I have seen them advertising $195 per hour plus parts. The power caps on my non Fender 35 watt amp are easily over $100 to purchase from a low priced online supplier.

Good thing echo works for amp_surgeon. Couldn't have a better suited candidate to assist in doing any repair/upgrade work, if that is such the case to begin with. :D

• Members

my amp guy charged me $50 labor to replace the filter caps in my 68 dual showman, and black face it. Its not a $400 job.

the thing about the twins is they do sound good on low volumes too. I play mine on 3-4 all the time. (I know thats still loud but they dont have to be on 10)

• Members

the thing about the twins is they do sound good on low volumes too. I play mine on 3-4 all the time. (I know thats still loud but they dont have to be on 10)

Truth. Twins sound great with the volume barely on, they don't have to be cranked to sound good like some smaller amps.

That's way too much IMO. Bench time at $75-100 per hour is pretty common out here. One hour minimum. Parts can be expensive, depending on what you have though - especially for things like filter caps and transformers.

Oh, and for some reason the link in the OP isn't working for me... but if it is a '69 drip edge in decent condition, $650 is a good price. SF Twins down here seem to go for about $600-700 fairly regularly. '68-'69 Drip Edge models generally command a bit of a premium over that.

• Members

That's way too much IMO. Bench time at $75-100 per hour is pretty common out here. One hour minimum. Parts can be expensive, depending on what you have though - especially for things like filter caps and transformers.

I think Andy Fuchs told me they charge $195 for 1st hour then it gets cheaper after that.

Link to Fuchs repair page:

http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/service-and-mods.php

Fuchs amps are pretty cool. Link to the Fuchs amp page:

http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/products.php

Andy Fuchs at NAMM showing his amps and pedals:

Archived