Bad Trade?

Califa

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So does the United States Supreme Court, but in the case they defined it as such they also included the "Italian Race" and the "Negro Race", which I think we can agree weakens the argument. The truth is, the concept of race as being an important divider of human population is relatively new concept, previously it was religion,language, or geography that was considered more important. There is no scientific distinguishing characteristics that define race, so when the U.N. or SCOTUS defines race, they are pandering to the masses.

You are correct. Race is a social construction rather than a descriptor of biological difference.

I'm African American, and I'm white. That is, I was born in American and I believe my ancestors originally came from Africa. Of course, not everyone believes in evolution.

• Members

Actually, yes, it is a "race." Any group of individuals another group deems to have a certain set of inherent characteristics (particularly behavioral) is a "race." The belief that this kind of assessment is valid is, in fact, what constitutes racism. If a group is discriminated against or not is not relevant when showing racism. The belief that races exist at all is enough.

Does that mean people in the amp forum are a race?

• Members

What you are arguing is a re-definition of what "race" is.

Females are now a race? Protestants are now a race? Tall people are now a race?

Or sexism, or xenophobia, or ethnocentermism, etc.

Are you implying that believeing races exist at all is racism?

Its not a re-definition. Whatever group someone defines as a race is a race because race is entirely social. Take, for example, the Rwandan Genocide. This was one group of africans classifying another group of africans as a different race. To most people not part of that community, the two groups didn't appear to be different races, but within that community it seemed completely obvious. If we had a system that considered women another race that would be a race. Instead, we erroneously lump women into the same "gender" which is exactly the same operation performed when generalizing about a "race."

What we tend to call a race is usually a group believed to inherit certain traits from others who supposedly all share the same traits. It doesn't have to be a group of people who look different from others. For example, we treat Muslims as a race and that is a genetically diverse group.

And yes, I am precisely arguing that belief in the existence of races is racism. It's not an argument I originated.

• Members

So I have pictures of the package and the receipt now. Which I think is pretty okay and stuff.

But don't mind me, you guys can keep arguing about meaningless PC issues.

How is it meaningless? An incredible number of armed conflicts take place based entirely on racism.

• Members

I like to consider myself and try to live as "Post Race". Except for teasing Renula about being Mexican. That's always a good time.

If you want me to explain why trying to live "post racial" just makes things worse, holla

• Members

How is it meaningless? An incredible number of armed conflicts take place based entirely on racism.

Speaking up against the imminent HCFX inquisition, are we?

What's your point exactly? What are you trying to achieve besides maybe changing some random's mind about the concepts of race and racism?

I'm sure you feel strongly about all this, but in my honest, and, I might add, stubborn, opinion, it doesn't matter. Not in this context and probably not in any other context.

That's all.

• Members

So I have pictures of the package and the receipt now. Which I think is pretty okay and stuff.

But don't mind me, you guys can keep arguing about meaningless PC issues.

Hope the package actually shows up and has your new pedal in it!

• Members
Speaking up against the imminent HCFX inquisition, are we?

What's your point exactly? What are you trying to achieve besides maybe changing some random's mind about the concepts of race and racism?

I'm sure you feel strongly about all this, but in my honest, and, I might add, stubborn, opinion, it doesn't matter. Not in this context and probably not in any other context.

That's all.

This is why, this is why you're hot. :thu:

Archived