At home recording dudes.

crohny

• Members

Remember, it's not a black & white choice between having your own gear and paying someone else to record you.

Having the ability to record rough demos after or during the writing process is invaluable. Particularly in a preproduction context.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember, it's not a black & white choice between having your own gear and paying someone else to record you.

Having the ability to record rough demos after or during the writing process is invaluable. Particularly in a preproduction context.

Excellent point. :phil:

• Members
  • Members

Very true. I'm going to see if the other dudes want to throw in on {censored} so I don't have to cover the cost of it all.

• Members

Very true. I'm going to see if the other dudes want to throw in on {censored} so I don't have to cover the cost of it all.

good idea! tell them to man up & take care of {censored}.

i should do the same...i always pay for our stuff :facepalm: but i don't mind since they usually let me handle the mixing/overall creative control....i always ask their input so i make sure everyone's happy, but i'd say the bulk of the final "sound" comes from me. luckily we're usually on the same page.

• Members

i'm still afraid of computers and always recorded with digital multitrack workstations. I recorded a full length on a Boss br-1600 and it came out pretty good to me. I even sent it to another guy to have mastered in the end and it really gave it some bigness. I now have a Korg 32 track and I dont really wanna switch to DAW's for some reason. Maybe I think it'll add some character to it, I dont know.

Anyway you can get a 16 track boss recorder for cheap on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boss-BR-1600CD-Digital-Multi-Track-Recorder-VERY-NICE-/290693596837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43aeb046a5

$(KGrHqNHJCsE91!upCN)BPekTENQQg~~60_1.JP

its got 8 XLR inputs if you need it. You could do a live recording like that too and have everything in separate tracks. Most importantly its easy as {censored} to use and has a lot of useable effects.

Just a thought, its sortve a lost art I still dig it.

• Members

good idea! tell them to man up & take care of {censored}.

i should do the same...i always pay for our stuff
:facepalm:
but i don't mind since they usually let me handle the mixing/overall creative control....i always ask their input so i make sure everyone's happy, but i'd say the bulk of the final "sound" comes from me. luckily we're usually on the same page.

Thankfully with both bands there isn't an issue of people pulling their own weight creatively and financially. If they see in home recording like I do they will be down.

• Members

Yeah man, if you can pay someone to do the tracking for you, by all means. You can shop around for what you want to get a solid engineer who's style of work might help out yours.

BUT! Having home recording equipment is incredibly handy in that you can jam about with it, experiment and work closer with the way everything gets put together. Clearly you want to track, so I would try and budget at least $1300 for things both new and used. For instance:

Mbox: Killer 2-input interface. I use one of these myself, gets things done.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/2877905943.html

Monitors: Event is from Australia and they sound delicious.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/2924020122.html

Microphones: stereo pair of overheads to use with your SM57.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/2877052580.html

With all of these you can do basic tracking in stereo through the interface, micing your amp or plugging in directly using an amp sim. For drums, I'd say to go pads into the DAW channel strip plugins. You can run something like Superior Drummer 2 or Battery 3 and it would track and have the ability to be edited thereafter. Great for re-finalizing something in house, which is something else beneficial to home recording vs. going into a studio. But I digress!

Look at these fellows. They're a USB-only set, removing the processing 'brain' all together (and allowing them to be cheaper).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/alesis-usb-studio-drum-kit

Yeah. Then just enjoy an extensive plugin collection, and enjoy the fruits of your own labour. :wave:

• Members

It would be better in the long run for you to own everything yourself, at least everything YOU need to make it work.

Like maybe the drummer could buy his own mics or something.

Otherwise at some point you're gonna have to split things up so you may end up having to buy a crucial piece of gear again in order to use the stuff you already have.

Archived