OT:If you've not seen this yet, consider yourself having just been assigned homework.

ambient

I met Carl when I was in my early teens up at Mt Wilson. We had breakfast together and he asked me a bunch of questions - stuff like what I thought about the origin of the moon and of the universe. He was exactly like what you see in that series from a personality standpoint.

True story. One of my grandfathers was an astronomer and used to take me up there (and to Mt Palomar) when I was a kid.

The series is probably pretty factually outdated in several areas by now, but the enthusiasm for science and space is not. I'd definitely have zero qualms about recommending it.

• Members

I met Carl when I was in my early teens up at Mt Wilson. We had breakfast together and he asked me a bunch of questions - stuff like what I thought about the origin of the moon and of the universe. He was exactly like what you see in that series from a personality standpoint.

True story. One of my grandfathers was an astronomer and used to take me up there (and to Mt Palomar) when I was a kid.

The series is probably pretty factually outdated in several areas by now, but the enthusiasm for science and space is not. I'd definitely have zero qualms about recommending it.

:love: that's aweseome.

He would definitely be on my hypothetical dinner party list.

• Members

Tell the truth, Phil - did you guys smoke a joint together?

• Members

They're rebooting the show with Neil DeGrasse, should be interesting.

Really? Cool.

I find both Sagan and DeGrasse to have a great balance of charisma, erudition and passion that makes them compelling to watch/listen too.

• Members

a decade ago, I had a neighbor who was the eviltwincaucasianclone of DeGrasse: snide, coniving, sexist, pervy, fauxcorksniffer.
But his voice, cadence and vocab sounded exactly like DeGrasse.

I like Mr DeGrasse.

I hated my neighbor.

Archived