DD-5 vs DD-7

Capsule

• Members

Both have the same settings for tap divisions, like dotted eighths. The DD-5 requires an external pedal for tap tempo, and the LED doesn't blink to show the tempo.

On the DD-7, an external tap pedal is optional, as is an expression pedal.

You can set the tempo with the pedal's footswitch, but it's that deal where you must hold the switch down for two seconds to get into tap mode, which is somewhat less useful when playing live. Using an external switch will set tempo on the fly, with the LED blinking. Tap tempo also works in the other modes, such as Analog and Reverse.

On the DD-5, you must tap four times to set tempo. The DD-7 only needs two taps.

But the DD-5 sounds better than the DD-7. ;)

• Members

My DD5 has been my main delay for almost a decade. I had it modded this year and it's definitely not going anywhere. Having said that the DD7 is a great delay too, but I think it gets lost between all it's extra features and sounds. It really depends what you need in a delay pedal.

• Members

Depends on what you want. You get more looping time with the DD-7 but its not a normal looper in that you can't stop a loop and then start it again, once you stop it - the loop is gone. The DD-5 is great for stutter effects - which is what I use it for. DD-7 has the analog mode...

DD-5 is a beast. I modded mine and its a killer delay.

• Members

Depends on what you want. You get more looping time with the DD-7 but its not a normal looper in that you can't stop a loop and then start it again, once you stop it - the loop is gone. The DD-5 is great for stutter effects - which is what I use it for. DD-7 has the analog mode...

DD-5 is a beast. I modded mine and its a killer delay.

What mods did you do?

• Members

Personally, I think the dd7 is much better than the dd5. The analog sim sounds very close to my dm2, you can dial out the dry on the reverse delay unlike the dd5 and it has a decent looper.

I don't think the dd5 digital sound is particularly special. When they came out people used to say how much better the tone of the dd3 was. But then nostalgia means the older pedal is always deemed better...

I think the dd7 is the best boss compact delay after the dm2/3, my personal opinion of course.

Archived