DID YOU READ THAT THAT DUDE IS DEAD?!

crohny

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i agree crohny, that it is sometimes annoying the praise celebrities gets after they die. i believe it has to do with perspective though;
death gives us an opportunity to reflect on that persons life and accomplishments

the people that really benefit from all the accolades after someone dies though are the family and friends of the deceased, and they are the ones that truly appreciate the sentiments.

i also agree that you seem like an adolescent.

This is probably more often the case - someone dies, people listen to the music again and remember how awesome it was.

• Members

also, this was the basic concept in a gag on the television program "The Office" this past week. One guy bemoans the lost of a musician. Then it is shown that that musician is actually not dead and is playing a show close by. Not only does this guy not go, but he fails to be able to name one song by that artist. So, I think its slightly universal to snicker at someone's disingenuous grief.

• Members

also, this was the basic concept in a gag on the television program "The Office" this past week. One guy bemoans the lost of a musician. Then it is shown that that musician is actually not dead and is playing a show close by. Not only does this guy not go, but he fails to be able to name one song by that artist. So, I think its slightly universal to snicker at someone's disingenuous grief.

It's good to see you have to find validation in popular media.

• Members
:lol:
:phil:

But the point he was making - I think it was one of crohny's points - that you should tell people what you think while you still have the opportunity, is a good one IMO.

If I wasn't drunk this would have been clearer. All the people posting {censored} on FB and {censored} have NEVER posted anything by Beastie Boys until now along with posting some sappy {censored} like the Beastie Boys were a big part of their life. It's just ridiculous.

• Members

If I wasn't drunk this would have been clearer. All the people posting {censored} on FB and {censored} have NEVER posted anything by Beastie Boys until now along with posting some sappy {censored} like the Beastie Boys were a big part of their life. It's just ridiculous.

What's worse than trying to parody someone else's grief? Blaming it on being drunk. jeesh.

• Members

man, you're a {censored}in' dummy.

I agree with this statement.

Just because you never heard about MCA's cancer issue doesn't mean {censored}. It was no secret and the Beastie Boys had to cancel a tour because of it. There is also no shortage of praise coming the Beastie Boys way, then and now. Easily one of the most influential rap groups ever.

Stop being an idiot.

I had no idea Iommi had / has cancer.

• Members

I agree with your point, it's the delivery that misses. I haven't listened much to them in the last year or so but coming up, they were huge for me and my friends.

This is why I don't use facebook, its for whining about how bad their cities sports are, new dog/house pictures, and trying to push opinions! I am glad I dont so I didnt have to hear all the RIP's on this because that is obnoxious.

• Members

kind of agree, but still you can't really say it like that. Are we supposed walk around with big signs with peoples' names on them and cry for them because they're still alive?

you can only appreciate something so much. there's also the fact that you realize it's gone and there won't be any more of it. basically it's a {censored}ing occasion in a weird way.

The biggest thing that bugs me about him dying and people caring is I didn't even know he had cancer. I don't know if it was ever made public or not but if it was and no one gave a {censored} to make a fuss then it seems a bit odd. I have heard of a bunch of random celebrities becoming ill one way or another. Most recently it was Iommi. The surge of support for Iommi was rather large. Plus people had been posting their his {censored} prior to health issues. It just seemed more genuine. With Youch it comes off like people are jumping on some morbid bandwagon.

• Members

So when someone dies people are reminded of how much they liked their music. So what? I love Led Zeppelins music, doesn't mean I'm continuously posting songs of their on facebook, although I wouldn't have a problem doing it if Jimmy Page died. Big deal..

• Members

I agree with this statement.

Just because you never heard about MCA's cancer issue doesn't mean {censored}. It was no secret and the Beastie Boys had to cancel a tour because of it. There is also no shortage of praise coming the Beastie Boys way, then and now. Easily one of the most influential rap groups ever.

Stop being an idiot.

I had no idea Iommi had / has cancer.

Of all people on this forum who shouldn't try and pass judgment on me, it is surely you. Shouldn't you be reading the P&W thread and getting your panties in a bunch?

• Members

It's good to see you have to find validation in popular media.

I'm not entirely confident I understand the point you're making. I don't have to find validation in popular media. I did see a correlation between this topic and that gag.

I guess I wasn't entirely clear, maybe it seemed like my conclusion: "I think its slightly universal to snicker at someone's disingenuous grief." was derived from having just watched that television program. However I was just citing it as an example. In no way would I think that it validates my conclusion.

• Members

So when someone dies people are reminded of how much they liked their music. So what? I love Led Zeppelins music, doesn't mean I'm continuously posting songs of their on facebook, although I wouldn't have a problem doing it if Jimmy Page died. Big deal..

Cool, I get that. My problem is it takes their death to remind you that you liked their music.

• Members

I think there is a difference between knowing that I like someone's music vs going on about it on a frequent basis.

This goes for many people in my life....like ex-girlfriends....I might be tempted to publicly bemoan one of them passing, but otherwise I reserve comment for faptime.

• Members

It's just as tiring to listen to the thick skinned guy on the forum with the big scary avatar say controversial things just to keep an edge. They were pretty revolutionary so clearly people are gonna be a little upset and mention the passing when he was only 47 years old.

Keep it on the edge? That is a weird statement to make. Controversial? How? Because I am saying I think some people are full of {censored}? Controversial would be more like me saying this dude's life was meaningless in the long run and he never did anything for humanity. Have I said or even though this? No. Well, I did think of it but only because I needed something that was actually rather controversial.

• Members

No you just are constantly trying to pick fights was my points by saying controversial things even if they are obvious points..

People across the world listen to the Beastie Boys every day, probably more than a lot of artists, so when he dies people are going to be upset about it. At the same time, there will always be fairweather fans giving the "OMG this is so tragic" speech when they are just trying to get attention. People are stupid, full circle

• Members

I think there is a difference between knowing that I like someone's music vs going on about it on a frequent basis.

This goes for many people in my life....like ex-girlfriends....I might be tempted to publicly bemoan one of them passing, but otherwise I reserve comment for faptime.

I like Weedeater but I haven't listened to a record in the last three months. I have listened to a record of theirs and seen them in the last 7 months though. Since Beastie Boys have been around for so long another example I can use is I was a big into 311 as a kid. I occasionally will listen to 311. It's cool to kind of relive that {censored} from when I was younger. And I know other people that like to listen to {censored} from their childhood as well. I'm not saying you need to be listening to them all the time but how many of the people really putting it out their that they give a {censored} listened to the Beastie Boys once by choice and not radio or TV in the last years time?

Archived