attn: anti-pit beef folks

• Members

My knowledge of Baltimore is limited to John Waters and The Wire. So when people tell me, "I'm going to Baltimore for vacation," I'm like what
:confused:

But I have to admit I'm pretty curious about pit beef.

I live near the site of the Lipstick Beauty Salon that was in "Female Trouble". It's not the "Lipstick" anymore.

I don't have HBO, so I'm not familiar with "The Wire". I just watch the local news instead.

Pit beef is just beef roasted over coals. There are some pit beef places that are in permanent buildings, some that are just stands on the sidewalk.

• Members

I don't have HBO, so I'm not familiar with "The Wire". I just watch the local news instead.

You've heard the hype, right? Best TV show EVAR and all that. The DVD box sets are cheap too.

It's well worth watching, but you're right, it's hardly Baltimore Tourist Board material.

• Members

You've heard the hype, right? Best TV show EVAR and all that. The DVD box sets are cheap too.

It's well worth watching, but you're right, it's hardly Baltimore Tourist Board material.

Sure, I've heard about it. I'm a big fan of David Simon. I read the pre-publication excerpt of "Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets" that was printed in the Baltimore Sunday Sun Magazine, heard Simon interviewed on the radio by a Sun reporter (Dan Rodricks) when I tuned in expecting to hear an Orioles baseball game, and bought the book as soon as it hit the shelves. Taped every episode of the "Homicide" TV show from the initial broadcast. Bought "The Corner" as soon as it came out.

But not having HBO, I never saw "The Wire" in its first showing. I have the first season on DVD, and have seen the first episode. It was good, and I certainly want to see the rest of it.

• Members

The wire is great. It really does deserve all the hype and praise it gets.

I go back and forth whether or not I like it more than homicide, but I think the wire wins out.

It's a lot of truth, and a lot of exaggeration, not always where you'd expect when watching it.

It does have some great baltimore things in it.

it really blew my mind when I found out everyone everywhere doesn't have pit beef.

nom nom nom nom nom

The best is they'll do turkey and ham as well and you can get two meets on a sandwich.

what-is-maryland-pit-beef-pioneer-pit-be

• Members

Me and my women and some friends of ours recently cooked a shoulder of lamb in coals underground for 8 or 9 hours.

It was unbelievably good!

I'd be curious to know the difference in the price of lamb down under compared to Florida. It's pretty expensive here. My wife and I bought 4 dinky lolipop chops for Easter at our local grocer... $12 !!!

Archived