Where you buy your tubes?

amnesiac

• Members

I am finally getting around to retubing my old VHT. Its been about 20 years so its probably due. I don't need any fancy vintage stuff. Basically I want some chinese 12ax7s, a Sovtek 12ax7wb and some Svetlana EL34s.:thu:

• Members

tubedepot all the way. it doesn't hurt that its like 7 miles from my house and my drummer works there. they seriously have an amazing collection and a great staff with knowledgeable people to help you with any questions you might have.

• Members

If you're cool with jj's (which i generally like), Eurotubes is cheaper than everybody. They're in the US, not Europe. Dunno why they're called Eurotubes.

JJ's are made in Europe.

Eurotubes are good, but I'm going with the Tube Store next time because they're Canadian so shipping is quick.

• Members
Cheap generic Chinese 12AX7s will sound like junk. Seriously. It's worth spending a little more for JJs. Good tewbs make a dramatic difference to the sound of an amp.

The only reason I am going with the chinese 12ax7s is because when I emailed Steve Fryette awhile back asking which tubes I should retube with, I was told go with the Chinese. I agree, generally speaking, pricier tubes are worth it. Maybe in high gain amps it is less important :idk:

Archived