Slightly OT: Jaguar pickups...?

thom

• Members

Don't know if it's just me, but guitar related threads don't seem to get a lot of replies in the EG section, or at least not as fast as here. Which is why I turn to you mahfakkas, cuz I know there's quite a few offset fan bois amongs the regulars here...

The NGD of last week that I witheld from you guys, cause I feared the angry mob of jag fans if I told them I started to disassemble the guitar shortly after I tried it out for the first time:lol:

IMGP3033.jpg

Ditching the wood, it's actually already on it's way to the next owner.

Edit: The pic looks ridicilously different from the real deal btw, the LPB looks much lighter/greener in reality.

• Members

Anyway, I was wondering which pickups don't sound too 'jaguar-like'. Don't know how much of that percussive buzzy zero-sustain tone is due to the shorter scale, but I'm guessing just a 25.5" conversion won't be enough to get more of a tele/strat/jazzmaster thing going.

Come to think of it, if anyone knows of 'regular' single coils that won't mess with the normal jaguar aesthetics, but sound somewhat like jazzmaster pickups...Lemme know. Also: I blew all my moneys on pedlols, I'd prefer suggestions for stuff that might be findable used...

Cheers.

• Members

You can probably get alot closer to a strat or tele sound then a jazzmaster. Jazzmaster p/u's sound very different due to their wide flat ?bobbins? and those wont fit with a jaguar routing or in a jag pickup casing. This Forum might help you out a little more, especially in the pickup arena.

• Members

Yeah I just wondered if maybe there's a regular sized single coil that somehow mimmicks the jazzmaster tone.

Also, isn't a jaguar pickup very similar to a strat pickup? So that'd mean most of my dislikes about the jaguar sounds is indeed due to the design/construction, rather than the pickup itself...Right?

• Members

I think it's Lollar the one who makes a jazzmaster pickup for Jaguar, no need to mod the guitar just the pickguard

Might be overlooking it on the lollar website, but I can't seem to find anything about jag style jazzmaster pickups.

And my main gripe about jags is actually the shorter scale lenght and narrower necks.

• Members

also, why get a jaguar if you don't like the sound/setup?

yeah :confused:

The jag sound is so unique and powerful as it is, I don't know why you'd want to change it (admitted jag fanboy).

On the last album I recorded, we recorded some jag over all the dirty tracks (mostly gibby hollowbody and bucker loaded tele) and it made them punch a lot harder.

• Members

Small turn to the story: The pickups that came with it, that I thought were meh japanese ones...Turned out to have cloth wire, and they're soldered to what seems to be the stock pvc wiring, in a rather sloppy way. After a closer inspection, it turns out there's a small sticker on side of bridge pu cover that reads "SJAG-1B", followed -what I assume- is a type code and serial number.

From the nice experts at offsetguitars.com:

Semour Duncan SJAG-1 Vintage for Jaguar

Good quality, faithful recreation of the vintage sound. Uses Alnico V rod magnets. Cloth covered hookup wire.

Seems like the seller wasn't even aware of the upgrade. So not a bad price after all:)

Anyway, my initial plan was to build a 25.5" scale jaguar, but after playing -and not really digging- the jaguar prior to disassembling it...I began to panic about how much the pickups are to blame for the sunstain-less buzzy twang is. Always figured the shorter scale was the main reason why a jag doesn't sound like a jazzmaster...

So yeah I'm gonna see how I like these seymour duncans when the guitar's completely finished. Than I can still flip 'em for those jaguar-y Curtis Novak Jazzmaster pu's if I want to...

• Members

i'm not sure a jazzmaster neck would even work with a jag body..i think i saw a thread about that.

also, why get a jaguar if you don't like the sound/setup?

There's a good chance I participated in one or more of the threads you're refering to:)

A jazzmaster neck would work perfectly on a jag body as far as I know. But I decided the extra work is not worth it. The bridge as well as the bridge pick-up would have to be moved back, and you'd obviously need a new pickguard to fit the new layout.

Which is why I went with a custom build nice swamp ash jaguar body, routed out for the correct bridge/tail and pu positions.

The only thing I don't like about the jag, is the shorter scale. I think. Hard to tell without trying jag pickups in a different style guitar, or different pickups in a jag:)

• Members

Wait so...you're selling the guitar or what. I don't understand what ditching the wood means.

I meant literally, ditching all the wooden parts:)

Sold the body and neck, cost me less than buying all the hardware and electronics online. Especially if I take the SD pickups, mustang bridge and g&g hardcase into account. Now -if everything fits- it's just a matter of finishing the new neck and body, and assembling everything.

• Members

Wait so...you're selling the guitar or what. I don't understand what ditching the wood means.

I meant literally, ditching all the wooden parts:)

Sold the body and neck, cost me less than buying all the hardware and electronics online. Especially if I take the SD pickups, mustang bridge and g&g hardcase into account. Now -if everything fits- it's just a matter of finishing the new neck and body, and assembling everything.

• Members

wait.....so you bought that gorgeous Jag just to gut the electronics????

Actually I'm keeping the hardware and knobbies too. Just wait till you see what my jagumaster'll look like, it'll be my end-all-be-all ultimate bees knees of

• Members

Indeed, although you still have to order a new custom pickguard. Wouldn't the jazzy PU be stronger than the jag?

I'm sure you could get ones to match. My friend has a 66' jag that has a pretty loud bridge p/u in it (which is my main experience with jags).

Archived