I bought a Fender Princeton yesterday.

Jakkeh

• Members

I've had a RI for about three years. I love it. It sounds great anywhere from 2-10. Due to the smaller speaker it can make some overdrives sound really bright, but the large cabinent compared to the speaker size makes it sound really full. It also allows enough room for a full size reverb tank. :) The reverb and trem are really good in this amp. I have a late 60's twin the verb on it is a little nicer, but I like the bias trem on the PRRI much better.. Some people consider it a bit of a one trick pony, but really I think you could use it for just about any musical style other than metal. It's really great for recording, because it opens up a bit before volume gets intolerable.

• Members

I've had a RI for about three years. I love it. It sounds great anywhere from 2-10. Due to the smaller speaker it can make some overdrives sound really bright, but the large cabinent compared to the speaker size makes it sound really full. It also allows enough room for a full size reverb tank.
:)
The reverb and trem are really good in this amp. I have a late 60's twin the verb on it is a little nicer, but I like the bias trem on the PRRI much better.. Some people consider it a bit of a one trick pony, but really I think you could use it for just about any musical style other than metal. It's really great for recording, because it opens up a bit before volume gets intolerable.

What od's do you find works well with it? I am currently experimenting with an OCD, Analogman PoT, Rat and Drivetrain - they all have some strong points through the amp but you're right, taming the brightness is tough!

• Members

Very nice! I love my ASAT Special and my Princeton Reverb. They go great together!

They really do! I was using a huge Matamp 1224MKII w/Vertical 2x12 and let me tell you; being able to go to band practice with guitar in one hand, amp in the other is a breath of fresh air.

Next on the list: Strymon El Capistan + Fairfield Barbershop = me done.

• Members

What od's do you find works well with it? I am currently experimenting with an OCD, Analogman PoT, Rat and Drivetrain - they all have some strong points through the amp but you're right, taming the brightness is tough!

A lot of overdrives depend on the amplifier, and specifically the speakers to filter out a lot of the hair in the high end. We recorded our last LS demo with the princeton. I have an old DOD that sounds surprisingly good with the it as well. A DS1, tube screamer, austin gold and OCD all sound super bright through the PRRI. I've tried a few others, but I'd really have to go back and check. I run the Treble on the PRRI between 3-5 usually. I basically turn it up just a hair as i turn the volume up. I set the bass between 8-10.

• Members

Also the way you place the amp has a lot to do with the sound too. That's normal since it's an open back, but seems to be more important that with bigger combo amps.

I hate to sound all TGP, but I like mine on the floor in the corner of the room about 3-4 feet from the wall.

• Members

They really do! I was using a huge Matamp 1224MKII w/Vertical 2x12 and let me tell you; being able to go to band practice with guitar in one hand, amp in the other is a breath of fresh air.

Next on the list: Strymon El Capistan + Fairfield Barbershop = me done.

Very nice! I got rid of my TRRI to get my Princeton Reverb. Still very happy with my decision! much more manageable!

• Members

I want one of these! I tried a LP through a RI the other day and it sounded awesome! I love my Champ, but The Princeton Reverb just sounds better IMO.

I always thought the Champ defeated it's own purpose. A small quite practice amp that only sounds good when you turn it up loud enough to annoy your neighbors.

Archived