Curiosity landing

cryptosonic

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why is this supposed to be exciting? They've sent remote controlled cars to Mars before haven't they?

Right, and it has been easy and successful every time. /sarcasm

The difference is the complexity of the rover that they have sent in the past compared to Curiosity.

• Members

I'm serious. They're that confident that their workmanship is THAT good to have it going for two years...?

I have a watch that lasted 4 years, it's pretty intricate. My computer has lasted 5 without needing a maintenance guy standing next to it.

• Members

I have a watch that lasted 4 years, it's pretty intricate. My computer has lasted 5 without needing a maintenance guy standing next to it.

Yeah yeah. Except that the manufacturers of all those devices know that if something goes wrong maintenance is not much of an issue, but in this instance, maintenance is NO OPTION.

• Members

And the stakes are infinitely higher!

Not true, then the stakes would be infinite and we could just drive to Mars along the infinite stakes assuming we properly tethered them to the ground (using Higgs-Bosun particles perhaps?)

• Members

I'm serious. They're that confident that their workmanship is THAT good to have it going for two years...?

Pretty much everything about the entire space program is completely mind boggling if you think about it.

They accomplish incredible things.

• Members

So that guy with the Mohawk. Did he get extra attention just because of his haircut, or was he controlling something important and just happens to have that hair style?

I think it's just because he's a hottie mchotterson.

original.png

According to his twitter bio he's "Flight director on the Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity mission."

That sounds pretty important.

Archived