Curiosity landing

cryptosonic

• Members

Honest on-topic question, from a science noob:

Excuse me the ignorance, but I read that this whole operation costs $2.5 billion, and that the main purpose is to find out wether there is/was/will be life on Mars...Right? So why is that answer worth so much money? I'm assuming most of it is tax payer's money, right? Don't want to start preaching about america's deficit/crisis, and don't want to start a {censored} storm with this, I'm not judging or taking sides or whatever...Just genuinly curious (pun not intended) about the official and/or unofficial motif/justification for these space programs, and this Mars adventure in particular. Don't suppose someone could shed a light?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

uh oh

at the most basic level, we can't stay here forever and at some point will have to leave this planet, which makes any space exploration important.

beyond that, if we find out mars once had life or even just an atmosphere like ours, we could study what happened there exactly, which would help us understand more about our own global climate.

i haven't kept up with what this rover is supposed to be doing, so someone that has can probably answer your question more exactly.

edit: also, the technology developed and the information gathered goes much further than the mission itself.

most innovations find their beginnings in "unjustified" research.

• Members

It's a part of the human condition to try to find out what is beyond our little realm of Earth. But it's more than that. Besides just sampling and trying to figure out if Mars could sustain life, it's trying to figure out what happened to Mars to where it cannot now. This is also to understand our own world and its possible fate.

• Members

For techinical reasons why Curiosity is on Mars:

The Mars Science Laboratory mission has four scientific goals:

-Determine whether Mars could ever have supported life.

-Study the climate of Mars.

-Study the geology of Mars.

-Plan for a human mission to Mars.

To contribute to these goals, the Curiosity rover has six main scientific objectives:[6][7]

-Determine the mineralogical composition of the Martian surface and near-surface geological materials.

-Attempt to detect chemical building blocks of life (biosignatures).

-Interpret the processes that have formed and modified rocks and soils.

-Assess long-timescale (i.e., 4-billion-year) Martian atmospheric evolution processes.

-Determine present state, distribution, and cycling of water and carbon dioxide.

-Characterize the broad spectrum of surface radiation, including galactic radiation, cosmic radiation, solar proton events and secondary neutrons.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity_rover#Goals_and_objectives

• Members

We don't know what the benefits will be. We can't know what the benefits will be. But we know there will be benefits.

They took the spending for the Apollo missions, and compared it to the value of all the new industries and technologies that were direct spin offs of technology developed to get man to the moon. I can't find the figure right now, but for every dollar spent we (humans) got back millions.

Go and read this 1970 letter from NASA's Ernst Stuhlinger to a nun who wrote him asking how he could suggest spending billions of dollars on such a project at a time when so many children were starving on Earth.

He explains it so much more clearly and brilliantly than I could.

• Members

Honest on-topic question, from a science noob:

Excuse me the ignorance, but I read that this whole operation costs $2.5 billion, and that the main purpose is to find out wether there is/was/will be life on Mars...Right? So why is that answer worth so much money? I'm assuming most of it is tax payer's money, right? Don't want to start preaching about america's deficit/crisis, and don't want to start a {censored} storm with this, I'm not judging or taking sides or whatever...Just genuinly curious (pun not intended) about the official and/or unofficial motif/justification for these space programs, and this Mars adventure in particular. Don't suppose someone could shed a light?

Because it's unbelievably cool.

• Members

Because it's unbelievably cool.

lol, damn straight, I'll agree on that.

Seriously though, the way I see it now: We go to space/mars because it's {censored}ing cool, and end up with a ton of useful knowledge that eventually justifies the space program and the following space programs. Thanks radiosilence for that reply/link btw.

• Members

Benefits?

Ground Processing Scheduling System

3-D Semiconductor Stacking

Structural Analysis

News Exchange Reader

Air Quality Monitoring

Advanced keyboard Design

Database Management System

Laser Surveying

Aircraft Controls

Expert System Software

Microcomputers

Advanced Imaging and Design Graphics

Enriched Baby Food

Water Purification System

Scratch-Resistant Lenses

Pool Purification

Ribbed Swimsuit

Golf Ball and Composite Golf Club Design

Portable Coolers/Warmers

Sports Training

Athletic Shoes

Dustbuster

Shock-absorbing Helmets

Home Security Systems

Smoke Detectors

Flat Panel Televisions

High-density Batteries

Trash Compactors

Sports Bra Design

Hair Styling Appliances

Fogless Ski Goggles

Self-adjusting Sunglasses

Hang Gliders

Art Preservation

Quartz Crystal Timing Equipment.

Microspheres

Solar Energy

Weather Forecasting Aids

Forest Management

Sensors for Environmental Control

Wind Monitor

Telemetry Systems

Plant Research

Fire Resistant Materials

Radiation Insulation

Whale Identification

Environmental Analysis

Noise Abatement

Pollution Measuring Devices

Pollution Control Devices

Smokestack Monitor

Radioactive Leak Detector

Earthquake Prediction System

Sewage Treatment

Energy Saving Air Conditioning

Air Purification

Digital Imaging Breast Biopsy System

Breast Cancer Detection

Laser Angioplasty

Ultrasound Skin Damage Assessment .

Human Tissue Stimulator

Coolant Suit

Programmable Pacemaker

Ocular Screening

Automated Urinalysis

Medical Gas Analyzer

Voice-controlled Wheelchair

Arteriosclerosis Detection

Ultrasound Scanners

Automatic Insulin Pump

Portable X-ray Device

Invisible Braces

Dental Arch Wire

Palate Surgery Technology

Clean Room Apparel

Implantable Heart Aid

MRI

Bone Analyzer

Cataract Surgery Tools

Magnetic Liquids

Welding Sensor System

Microlasers

Magnetic Bearing System

plasma Sprayed Engine Lubricant

Interactive Computer Training

High-pressure Water Stripping

Advanced Welding Torch

Gasoline Vapor Recovery

Self-locking Fasteners

Machine Tool Software

Laser Wire Stripper

Lubricant Coating Process

Wireless Communications

Engine Coatings and Design

Radiation Hazard Detector

Emergency Response Robot

Pen

• Members

lol, damn straight, I'll agree on that.

Seriously though, the way I see it now: We go to space/mars because it's {censored}ing cool, and end up with a ton of useful knowledge that eventually justifies the space program and the following space programs. Thanks radiosilence for that reply/link btw.

;)

• Members

..also, we have to (eventually) plan to move to some other rock in the neighborhood. on a planetary/geological scale, earth gets the {censored} beaten out of it on a "regular" basis. the rock that took out the dinos was far from the only one, or the biggest. even a much smaller rock can set us back 300 years.

it might not happen for a hundred-thousand years, or millions (in which case we'd probably be extinct or on other solar systems anyway), but wouldn't suck if it happened in only 100? :lol:

we do this by launching stuff at mars to figure out how.

yeah it's a lot of money. but it's still a fraction of what "defense" costs a nation, of which a lot of people (myself included) are pretty against but still keep on paying taxes for. sacrifice several modern jets or an aircraft carrier or two and we could be sending actual people to mars.

plus space exploration inspires and awes the {censored} out of people, and that's {censored}ing cool!

• Members

..also, we have to (eventually) plan to move to some other rock in the neighborhood. on a planetary/geological scale, earth gets the {censored} beaten out of it on a "regular" basis. the rock that took out the dinos was far from the only one, or the biggest. even a much smaller rock can set us back 300 years.

it might not happen for a hundred-thousand years, or millions (in which case we'd probably be extinct or on other solar systems anyway), but wouldn't suck if it happened in only 100?
:lol:

we do this by launching stuff at mars to figure out how.

yeah it's a lot of money. but it's still a fraction of what "defense" costs a nation, of which a lot of people (myself included) are pretty against but still keep on paying taxes for. sacrifice several modern jets or an aircraft carrier or two and we could be sending actual people to mars.

plus space exploration inspires and awes the {censored} out of people, and that's {censored}ing cool!

yes

Archived