whats the deal with Brian May...I don't get it!

samzadgan

• Members

Why is Brian May considered such a great guitarist? I don't pretend to know his work that well, as i never really liked anything that Queen did.

But I've heard most of the hits, so i think I have a fair idea of what his done...based on that, i don't get the admiration that is thrown towards him...

just finished watching the closing ceremony at the olympics, and he played a long guitar solo before they went into a horrible rendition of We Will Rock You...but that aside, the guitar solo was quite boring and flat; way too much delay, and nothing spectacular...further confirmation of my first thought!

please correct me if i'm wrong...but i want to know what has been his best work, if i have missed it, then i will check it out.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're on the internet dude. don't try to think rationally about why you don't like something. Just talk condescending to everybody about it, and later that night stroke your dick while wimpering "meh, meh, meh, meh, I don't get it, meh meh meh, this similar but less popular artist is better, meh meh meh"

• Members

It's an old bloke with grey hair stood in a massive stadium playing his guitar loud as {censored} and rocking out with too much delay and not giving a {censored}.

..... How does a guitar player not 'get' that? :freak:

.. it was awesome. :lol:

• Members

Why is he great?

Listen to this: the playing, but especially the guitar sound. It might be among the best hard rock guitar sounds ever put to tape.

[video=youtube;oVUrg7Hzjo0]

His guitar sound during the solo part is molten. I've never heard anything quite like it.

• Members

I don't trust anybody who doesn't like Queen.

Consider me untrustworthy.

Now, I get that BM is a pretty decent guitarist - or was, twenty some odd years ago when he made records, but gawd, Queen is everthing bad about 70's rock rolled into one nasty candy ass cinabon. They gave legitimacy to the rise of punk.

• Members

That distinction is the shared property of Toto, Boston, Foreigner and 38 Special.
:o

???

Sure they had weak, dumb songs, but other than Meatloaf, who created overblown pillsbury pastry music more than Queen?

• Members

???

Sure they had weak, dumb songs, but other than Meatloaf, who created overblown pillsbury pastry music more than Queen?

Uhhhh...Journey? Bob Seger? Bad Company? Jefferson Starship? Rush?

C'mon...Pillsbury Pastry music? I'm not the biggest fan or anything (I don't own any of their singles or albums) but they were hardly that. :rolleyes:

• Members

Queen was the only band that sounded like Queen so I don't know how anyone gets the "everything wrong with 70's rock" thing. Unless you're just {censored}ing lazy and think that bands were more complex than AC/DC during that period is the only defining thing about the 70's.

Archived