whats the deal with Brian May...I don't get it!

samzadgan

• Members

1) You are deaf 2) You have no taste 3) Wf? Really? us this the ultimate troll setup thread? 4) Who has not dissected at least one Queen song? Freddies been gone nearly 20 years, and their is still no band I can think of that sounds like Queen. May was the special tonal sauce. This is a honeypot thread, and stuck my head in like pooh bear. Gah!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just listened to the first three albums back to back to back. If I'd had heard those in '73 without having a clue who they were or what to expect I'd have shat myself. As it was, in '75 I was 10 and bought the Bohemian Rhapsody/I'm in Love With My Car 45RPM and wore it out on my GAF Viewmaster record player. Then News Of The World came out and I was a fan for life.

I'll repeat myself - NOBODY was making music like this back then. Not Bowie or Yes or Sabbath - but they have elements of all three bands in these first records and still nothing sounds like them.

The very first song you'd have heard:

{censored}ing brilliant.

• Members

".....As it was, in '75 I was 10 and bought the Bohemian Rhapsody....."

Me too. Even at that age I seemed to latch on to the enormity of that song. A bold statement and they pulled it off. Brian May is terrific. Insanely melodic solos.

• Members

NOBODY was making music like this back then. Not Bowie or Yes or Sabbath - but they have elements of all three bands in these first records and still nothing sounds like them.

Troof. I do wonder how many great bands those damn kids of today will never be able to appreciate fully because they come to them in a completely different context. I mean, you'd have to be 50 now to have been old enough to appreciate Queen if you'd heard them when they were a new-ish band, older than that to have heard someone like Hendrix or the Beatles with fresh ears.

Anyone coming to any of those great bands today has probably heard a dozen watered-down copies of their sound from a bunch of bands who owe the originators a massive debt. Either that or they've heard a few of that band's songs so many times that they're just wallpaper, or they've heard that band's later, {censored}tier stuff (ain't it always the way?) and they're put off listening to the music that made their reputation.

I always find myself thinking this sort of thing when those "I don't get The Beatles" threads come up, but I think it's equally true here.

Me? I was six or seven in the mid-80s when I first heard Queen. My dad had a copy of "Greatest Hits" in his car. Along with "Graceland" and some or other Dire Straits stuff it was pretty much my introduction to rock music. I had no concept of the technical stuff- how great a singer Freddie was, how groundbreaking Brian May's guitar stuff was, how unusual it was for all the members of a band to be songwriters capable of writing a hit- I just loved the crazy songs about bicycle races and saviours of the universe and {censored}.

• Members

Why is Brian May considered such a great guitarist? I don't pretend to know his work that well, as i never really liked anything that Queen did.

But I've heard most of the hits, so i think I have a fair idea of what his done...based on that, i don't get the admiration that is thrown towards him...

just finished watching the closing ceremony at the olympics, and he played a long guitar solo before they went into a horrible rendition of We Will Rock You...but that aside, the guitar solo was quite boring and flat; way too much delay, and nothing spectacular...further confirmation of my first thought!

please correct me if i'm wrong...but i want to know what has been his best work, if i have missed it, then i will check it out.

Let me ask you. Who are your musical heroes?

• Members
Well, this turned out to be a bad idea...it was just a question; and i also asked for Queen fans to direct towards the right songs to check out...but instead i get boxed into a corner for oblivious to good music and being a metal head...for the record, i may lean on the metal side, but i also listen to Blues, Rock, Prog Rock and Persian Folk music...and no Slash or Zakk are not my favorite guitarists, that list would include Andres Segovia, Wes Montgomery, SRV, Albert King, Mikael Akerfeldt, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Peter Green and bunch of others that i cant recall right now.

for the guys who posted clips of queen, thanks, i will check them out.

Oh I guess..you did already answered that question. :D

• Members

The album Queen II is hard rock. I think that production-wise, Queen was a huge influence on 90s alternative rock. As far as guitar playing goes, May helped push the transition from blusier Zeppelin/Hendrix hard rock to stuff like Smashing Pumpkins, cuz May made a "wall of sound" out of electric guitars without the dark heavy metal vibe. I think to lots of folks in my generation (middle-school in the early 90s), his tone is an acquired taste, but now that i've acquired it, I love the tone!

• Members

Wait, who doesn't "get" the Beatles?

I didn't get them for a long long time when i was younger. I enjoyed stuff that was current for my generation and stuff that sounded like it. I got into Hendrix and Pink Floyd because they sounded close to Smashing Pumpkins and Radiohead, but the Beatles production was very different. Plus they often have songs that sounded too playful for me. The mix of "folk-tune" with McCartney's trebly bass plus guitars that weren't blazing through loud Marshalls made them really inaccessible--even on songs like "And Your Bird Can Sing" which didn't have a folky influence. I think Rolling Stone magazine understands what i was feeling. The magazine didn't consider The Beatles to be "rock" when they did their list of best rock bands ever.

But as I got older and listened to more and more stuff, things became more accessible and I realized the genius of the Beatles. Now their one of my favorites--and I wrote my senior paper in college about the Beatles'/George Martin's use of texture/production to innovate. My bandmate and I listened to three Beatles albums on a road trip this weekend and talked about why they sounded different from The Who and Hendrix even though they were the same time. I think a huge part of it is the volume of the guitar/bass amps and how hard the drummers were hittin'!

• Members

But Brian is truly ridiculous. Nobody else sounded like that or approached the guitar like that before, and nobody really has since. Even in pure chops terms he's one to be reckoned with.
:idk:

Diggin' this one the most so far...but also liked Son and Daughter, Dragon Attack, Modern Time Rock & Roll.

Gotta admit, based on the Queen stuff that i heard growing up back in the 80's...i heard nothing like this, i remember the first thing i heard of their was "I want to break free" which i still don't like...but that was the thing that made up my mind on Queen...however this other stuff you guys are posting, is way better and almost a completely different band!

So what would be the best album to get?

• Members

Diggin' this one the most so far...but also liked Son and Daughter, Dragon Attack, Modern Time Rock & Roll.

Gotta admit, based on the Queen stuff that i heard growing up back in the 80's...i heard nothing like this, i remember the first thing i heard of their was "I want to break free" which i still don't like...but that was the thing that made up my mind on Queen...however this other stuff you guys are posting, is way better and almost a completely different band!

So what would be the best album to get?

Understandable. If my first exposure to them was their '80s stuff I'd have never given them a second thought.

My recs would be start with A Night At The Opera and News Of The World first - IMO those two are their masterpieces. A Day At The Races, Live Killers, Jazz, and the first three records are also great.

• Members

Dr May is a guitar great - most people will have missed Queen by a generation or more and won't get them or May.

Have to admit to being very surprised to see the Olympic organisers give the great man a wee shot of Brighton Rock the other night. Live Killers is worth a listen.

Archived