I have a song writing issue that I'd like to discuss.

Ryan.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
that sucks pbone. when it goes well its a great feeling. sometimes im just not in the mood to jam and come up with new ideas with other people and its horrible, forcing myself to do it makes me not want to play for a week or so.

but not doing it at all? thats sad, man.
:cry:

I should say that it's not like I never ever jam, we do jam on parts to get a feel of them, but I just generally never have a starting point of "okay jam" in a situation where I'm looking to write.

• Members

The drummer tends to argue that we need to keep things simple until the singer can get down a melody and lyrics and let him stand out before we spice {censored} up.

This does make some sense. However, I hate when bass player just play the chord root ALL the time.. ughghksgdf.

• Members

I have a similar situation. My drummer is good at keeping a steady beat, but he doesn't do many fills or change things up much. His playing is maddeningly straightforward and doesn't seem to quite understand the dynamic shifts necessary to make a song interesting. He'll play the verse on the hi-hat closed, and then stay on the closed hi-hat during chorus at which point I'm like... BRO

So I have to tell him what I want to hear. Once we have the main outline of a song we have to break it down part by part until we get closer to the beat I have in mind. Being the songwriter of the band (and also a drummer myself) there are definitely beats I have in mind for the songs I come up with, and I can definitely tell when a beat doesn't feel right. Your song, your call.

Luckily my drummer is cool about it. But I've worked with drummers in the past that have big vaginas and little pee pee's and can't take any guidance or instruction.

• Members

I have a similar situation. My drummer is good at keeping a steady beat, but he doesn't do many fills or change things up much. His playing is maddeningly straightforward and doesn't seem to quite understand the dynamic shifts necessary to make a song interesting. He'll play the verse on the hi-hat closed, and then stay on the closed hi-hat during chorus at which point I'm like... BRO

So I have to tell him what I want to hear. We have to break each song down part by part until we get closer to the beat I have in mind. Being the songwriter of the band (and also a drummer myself) there are definitely beats I have in mind for the songs I come up with, and I can definitely tell when a beat doesn't feel right. Your song, your call.

Luckily my drummer is cool about it. But I've worked with drummers in the past that have big vaginas and little pee pee's and can't take any guidance or instruction.

Same boat. Dude is like a metronome, but c'mon... give me some fills.

• Members

I should say that it's not like I never ever jam, we do jam on parts to get a feel of them, but I just generally never have a starting point of "okay jam" in a situation where I'm looking to write.

yeah I agree, the best ideas dont come when you call them. Especially when you have a thought youre working out and the other guy adds his 2 cents and gets you away from something that wouldve been better if you were by yourself.

Ive been getting a good mix of jamming and solo writing for the best of both worlds.

Well thought out spontaneousness.

• Members

I have a similar situation. My drummer is good at keeping a steady beat, but he doesn't do many fills or change things up much. His playing is maddeningly straightforward and doesn't seem to quite understand the dynamic shifts necessary to make a song interesting. He'll play the verse on the hi-hat closed, and then s
tay on the closed hi-hat during chorus at which point I'm like... BRO

So I have to tell him what I want to hear. Once we have the main outline of a song we have to break it down part by part until we get closer to the beat I have in mind. Being the songwriter of the band (and also a drummer myself) there are definitely beats I have in mind for the songs I come up with, and I can definitely tell when a beat doesn't feel right. Your song, your call.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Members

We're kind of the opposite to this, we try all kinds of stuff out and we play so loud that sometimes we don't hear certain parts clashing with each other. What we do now is record it once we get something 'finalised' so we can go away and listen to see if everything gels. We just hang a dynamic mic in the centre of the room and record to an old minidisc player. It's ghetto, but it works, and it allows us to refine things and change harmonies etc if necessary.

• Members

(NO, it isn't that my song writing sucks.)
K0I5z.png

When my band writes a song it usually starts with me dicking around on my guitar.

I come up with some riff that I can see the singer bobbing his head to, so I know I'm on the right track. Then he starts to sing some gibberish over it and the drums and bass come in.

THE PROBLEM, is that the drum and bass never try anything. Drums remain, pretty much, a basic rock beat (slightly more technical, but nothing amazing) and bass just follows the chord changes.

My theory is that when writing the song, it should be the time to get crazy and try different things. The drummer tends to argue that we need to keep things simple until the singer can get down a melody and lyrics and let him stand out before we spice {censored} up.

The reason I'm against that is because IT NEVER CHANGES. The players get so locked into what they are doing they
learn
the song the boring way they've played it from the beginning, so they never have the nerve to spice things up.

So what route do you think is best?

TL;DR
: Is it better to try different techniques while you are setting the foundation of the song OR after the foundation has been laid?

had the same problem until our first studio-session. We playd as a band for a few students who did the mix... anyway, time was short and i told everybody what i want and what not! the first minutes was crazy and after ten minutes and the first orders the band starts to work with my ideas and for the ideas... it was the first time that we did a non standard {censored} together in a few hours.

i guess you need good comunitaction in the band and some balls from time to time to kick the other dudes in the right direction.

the thing is everybody want to work out things. but the moest time stucks a band in jams with restricted communication.

one of the keys was for sure - i want stuff from my band aside the bands comfort zone... so everybody have to think and to talk 'cause they cant play what i want from the beginning. That starts the work together and TADA different new cool output.

Archived