Why is COSM not modelling - or is it?

RockNote

• Members

But that's exactly what they have said. The video literally says "there's never been an amp like this before....EVER" and says unlike MODELLING amps that...MIMIC..so they're claiming their COSM amp is not a modelling amp and is totally unlike modelling amps even though it's exactly a modelling amp. I have to say, though, the four channels thing is cool and it sounds alright Probably would be ok for a lot of players.

That just means they aren't models of any specific amp.

• Members

COSM is more than amp modeling. The full set of COSM models also includes instrument, microphone, speaker, and effects modeling. They don't include every type of modeling in every product that has a COSM label on it, and from the description on the Roland web site it sounds like they're only including the COSM amp modeling in these amps. From that perspective, the demo does sound misleading. I think what they're trying to say is that the COSM amp model isn't trying to emulate any specific model of vintage amp, but allows you to adjust the amp model parameters so that you can emulate a variety of vintage amps, as well as create models that don't emulate any particular amp.

By Roland's own definition, it's modeling, although I think they would claim that theirs is different because they use multiple forms of modeling, or are modeling multiple things. That would be a more accurate and fair way of describing it, rather than saying modeling amps merely mimic and implying that COSM is somehow not using modeling, or is somehow different. I'm not even convinced that Roland / Boss are the only company using multiple modeling methods, or modeling multiple "things" such as the amp, room reverb, etc.

COSM: Composite Object Sound Modeling

Once a musical instrument generates sound vibrations, it reaches the human ear through various mediating, objects, each of which significantly affects the sound. The material and configuration of the instrument, the electric/magnetic amplifying system, the air and the reverberation of the room all affect the final sound. Sound modeling, the latest DSP technology, "virtually" reconstructs these objects. Roland's breakthrough Composite Object Sound Modeling (COSM) uses the advantages of multiple modeling methods and succeeds in accurately emulating existing sounds, as well as producing sounds that have never before been created.

Source.

• Members

That just means they aren't models of any specific amp.

Yeah...I don't buy it. They weren't like oh lets make this sound unlike any amp! It sounds like a boutique (dumble-style) amp which they even say in the video. They literally say that it is meant to sound like a "boutique amp."

e.g. the breakup sounds a lot like this to me:

[video=youtube;-qvMwCte8TE]

Archived