Why is COSM not modelling - or is it?

RockNote

• Members

I have a language question for you native speakers. Let's look at the sentence again:

"Unlike MODELLING amps that set out to simply MIMIC the tones of vintage amps, these powerhouse guitar amps harness Roland's renowned COSM technology..."

If one were to defend it, one could argue that the operative word here is THAT (not WHICH). How much of a difference does this make to you, the way you hear it? The grammatical logic to using THAT is that the sales rep is talking not just about "modelling amps," but specifically about those "modelling amps that set out to simply mimic the tones of vintage amps." True, the new Roland amp does not set out to SMIPLY (note that too) mimic the sones of vintage amos, as it sets out to HARNESS Roland's OWN COSM technology. Grammatically this makes sense, but does anyone actually here it like this? You hear the contrast between modelling amps on the one hand and then "these powerhouse guitar amps [that] harness Roland's renowned COSM technology" on the other, don't you?

• Members

Hey folks! Johnny DeMarco here from Boss USA, here to tell you about COSM modelling.

Clipboard015.jpg

See, other amp modellers simply mimi....

Clipboard02-1.jpg

Clipboard03-1.jpg

{censored} you pal!

Clipboard0199.jpg

Are there two DeMarco brothers. Johnny and Freddie? Is the dude that does the Vox demos the same guy...or his twin brother, or what?

EDIT: Apparently, they are brothers. Nevermind. Go back to talking about this COSMOS thingy.

• Members

harness Roland's renowned COSM technology" on the other, don't you?

I don't think that and which are all that different in this usage. Both can be used to separate the COSM amp from the so-called "modelling amps" (which is bull{censored} since the cosm amp is clearly a modelling amp although if their argument is that it's not based on modelling a specific amp I can see how they can justify this logic...kinda). That, however, flows better in this sentence because which is generally used in sort of a parenthetical comment or after a pause. It usually begins a digression so that would draw more attention to their questionable claim.

• Members

I don't think that and which are all that different in this usage. Both can be used to separate the COSM amp from the so-called "modelling amps" (which is bull{censored} since the cosm amp is clearly a modelling amp although if their argument is that it's not based on modelling a specific amp I can see how they can justify this logic...kinda). That, however, flows better in this sentence because which is generally used in sort of a parenthetical comment or after a pause. It usually begins a digression so that would draw more attention to their questionable claim.

Thanks, V. That's what I thought. Kicking off one's product demonstation with a lie is not all that convincing. It ends with a lie too - but this is one of the usual type: just outright bull{censored}, which no one would ever believe anyway. The latter lie thus cheats no one, whereas the formormer, the one I have spelt out, is very misleading. The latter being: "The world of amps is about the be rocked like never before." Really? Jimi, Townshend, late 60s...

• Members

They probably could have avoided confusion by saying "other modeling amps" but it's silly to think they are lying considering the M in COSM stands for Modeling.

But that's exactly what they have said. The video literally says "there's never been an amp like this before....EVER" and says unlike MODELLING amps that...MIMIC..so they're claiming their COSM amp is not a modelling amp and is totally unlike modelling amps even though it's exactly a modelling amp. I have to say, though, the four channels thing is cool and it sounds alright Probably would be ok for a lot of players.

• Members

But that's exactly what they have said. The video literally says "there's never been an amp like this before....EVER" and says unlike MODELLING amps that...MIMIC..so they're claiming their COSM amp is not a modelling amp and is totally unlike modelling amps even though it's exactly a modelling amp. I have to say, though, the four channels thing is cool and it sounds alright Probably would be ok for a lot of players.

Precisely! :thu:

I agree with everything you say here, also the last bit. I went to look at the product demo because I genuinely thought this amp might be useful and practical for me. But as I watched the video, I was carried off by my reflektion on the nature of product demos. I have nothing against Roland nor Boss, but I must say that I don't appreciate when I get the feeling someone is trying to trick me.

• Members

http://www.roland.com/products/en/exp/COSM.html

COSM: Composite Object Sound Modeling

Once a musical instrument generates sound vibrations, it reaches the human ear through various mediating, objects, each of which significantly affects the sound. The material and configuration of the instrument, the electric/magnetic amplifying system, the air and the reverberation of the room all affect the final sound. Sound modeling, the latest DSP technology, "virtually" reconstructs these objects. Roland's breakthrough Composite Object Sound Modeling (COSM) uses the advantages of multiple modeling methods and succeeds in accurately emulating existing sounds, as well as producing sounds that have never before been created.

Archived