PRICE CHECK: Les Paul Studio

Crxsh

• Members

I'm thinking about selling my Les Paul. It's an '03 Studio in Ebony ... and prices on TGP and eBay are all over the place.

Guitar is in good shape w/ some buckle rash and fret wear, but no significant damage or dings. Has spent a lot of time in the OHSC and was recently upgraded with a set of Dimarzio 36th Anniversary humbuckers and custom wiring (push-pulls for coil splitting and series/parallel). Also had a nice setup done.

Any idea what a fair price would be?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't speak for Robo but I have seen Les Paul Studios in the $500-700 range in somewhat decent condition both on eBay and the local GC.

Holy {censored}. These things don't hold their value well at all. I mean, this guitar was $1200 new when I bought it in early '04... and sells for $1400 today. That sucks.

• Members

Holy {censored}. These things don't hold their value well at all. I mean, this guitar was $1200 new when I bought it in early '04... and sells for $1400 today. That sucks.

It's a low end gibson. Do you really expect a super mass produced guitar to hold it's value when there are literally hundreds of used ones for people to choose from?

• Members

I am really out of my element when it comes to any economic analysis but my uneducated guess is that the market is flooded with them, thus they don't hold their value all that well. If the Les Paul studios sell as much as say the SG faded special, then there are a ton of them out there.

• Members

Where are you seeing them for 1400 brosef?

They have no neck binding, and the finishes are meh at best...it is what it is. Like you said, stock pickups suck ass. That guitar is 799 brand new

• Members

I do like the finishes on those guitars, but the pickups aren't great IMO.

My 60s tribute comes with normal Gibson p90s. Same you will get in a high end LP with p90s. I have yet to find any issues with them. Now if you're talking about the humbucker version then ok, you win haha.

• Members

They have no neck binding, and the finishes are meh at best...it is what it is. Like you said, stock pickups suck ass. That guitar is 799 brand new

Also this, I have never seen the studios above 999.00 at GC and the like. If you paid 1,400 then that sucks. Unless you are including tax which is absurd. You can't account for what the government makes you hand over.

• Members

Musicians Friend:

ScreenShot2012-09-17at101734PM.png

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2012-les-paul-studio-electric-guitar

The Faded ones are $799. Different model, I think.

• Members

It's that model with the shiny finish or is it a faded one?

Non-faded. Those start @ $799. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-studio-electric-guitar

There are other, non-faded models of that same there guitar that sell for $1099. Check the options. But it seems like the 'standard' / non-faded ones sell for $1400... as linked previously.

• Members

The standard "Studio" models are currently listed for $1399 new: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-2012-les-paul-studio-electric-guitar/h80019000001003

I think Crxsh with the upgrades should be able to get $700 - 900 on ebay. Not from you guys, because you're cheap bastards :D

But $600 is awfully low with these DiMarzios that are considered really good PAFs on most accounts. I paid $600 used for my Epi Tribute LP, but it does come standard with Gibson '57s in it, long neck tenon, hsc, etc. But Epi higher end models, especially some of their limited run models like the '59 Les Paul, are actually selling more used now, than they did new (recent out of production).

So $600 would be a quick sale, I think you should be able to get at least $700 for it, lucky on ebay somebody might like this combo you have for $800-900. Put it on consignment locally?

Archived