Yo dawgs...

Ryan.

you still take their money tho huh?

They hire an engineer, or studio, and that's what they get. While I do my best to give my best effort on everything I work on, what I'm hired to do varies from gig to gig, and I don't have to think it's the greatest band of all time and highly likely to be signed in order to work on every project that I'm approached about. Besides, I'm occasionally "wrong" - sometimes things I think won't do well - do. I'm not being paid for my opinion on their chances of "making it".... and if asked, I have no problem with being honest with people. Including before they book a session.

Production's different. I won't sign on if I don't think there's something there, or something I can work with.

In fact, if I think a band is better served by more rehearsal and pre-production time, I will make it a point to say so. Look, I WANT their project to turn out as good as possible - unlike some engineers, I actually do give a damn, and just because the local band (let's assume they're all in their late teens) who is making their first demo isn't quite ready for prime time, and are delusional about their current "chances", that doesn't mean that someone shouldn't care and try to help guide them through the process and help present them in the best possible light, given the constraints of time and budget.

• Members

They hire an engineer, or studio, and that's what they get. While I do my best to give my best effort on everything I work on, what I'm hired to do varies from gig to gig, and I don't have to think it's the greatest band of all time and highly likely to be signed in order to work on every project that I'm approached about. Besides, I'm occasionally "wrong" - sometimes things I think won't do well - do. I'm not being paid for my opinion on their chances of "making it".... and if asked, I have no problem with being honest with people. Including before they book a session.

Production's different. I won't sign on if I don't think there's something there, or something I can work with.

In fact, if I think a band is better served by more rehearsal and pre-production time, I will make it a point to say so. Look, I WANT their project to turn out as good as possible - unlike some engineers, I actually do give a damn, and just because the local band (let's assume they're all in their late teens) who is making their first demo isn't quite ready for prime time, and are delusional about their current "chances", that doesn't mean that someone shouldn't care and try to help guide them through the process and help present them in the best possible light, given the constraints of time and budget.

hmmm I see

• Members

which is surprising considering the original question was essentially about as smug as you can get: "oh you have no problem providing a service for bands that may not strike your fancy even though they are paying you money for that service and nothing else, huh?"

• Members

As long as I am having fun playing music I "made it".

I got it made in the mango shade

all these bitches keep sayin the name

who took my mango indeed

you took my mango and its on repeat

out of the hat like a rabbit down the hole

time to sing along and pack another bowl

wheaties, cheerios or lucky charms

I don't care, I bought the farm

I sold the goat and kicked the puppy

I slapped grandma for gettin sassy

I smoked my brains out but theres one cell left

it's hanging on but in distress