(Moog/Gibson) Lab Series L3...anyone played one?

mr benn

• Members

so one of these 70's Norlin SS amps has come up for sale locally really cheap

they look like they were well made and combined with this...

Hot%20Tubes.jpg

could make a nice low/mid volume home amp (my AD30 is way too loud!!)

here's a pic of one for reference

p1_uodje25nw_so.jpg

how's the clean tone? reverb?

• Members

It was a moog gibson collaberation?

they were both owned by Norlin at the time, from what I've read the Moog guys developed them and some Gibson plant put them together and then they were distributed through the Gibson dealer network.

• Members

I had an L5 that i could never come to terms with but it did have after market speakers. Eminence Legends i think. Big and boomy, a little too dark for me. I was hoping it would match my Yamaha ss amps, which it did not.

hmmm...I think the circuit design of the L5 is different though??

they seem pretty popular the L5's??

• Members

Lots of bass from what I remember. The Yamaha SS amps I've tried had the same thing, really tight good sounding bass.

You might want to consider the EHX 2ube instead. I used that as a preamp. Ran all the dirt into the 2ube, Diamond compressor aterwards and then split into the two Main In sockets on my JC-120 at the time. Really good sound and very usable at home and on stage. Excellent with most pedals. I still use the same gear mostly with my two Peavey Bandits now. Excellent clean effects platform.

• Members

Lots of bass from what I remember. The Yamaha SS amps I've tried had the same thing, really tight good sounding bass.

You might want to consider the EHX 2ube instead. I used that as a preamp. Ran all the dirt into the 2ube, Diamond compressor aterwards and then split into the two Main In sockets on my JC-120 at the time. Really good sound and very usable at home and on stage. Excellent with most pedals. I still use the same gear mostly with my two Peavey Bandits now. Excellent clean effects platform.

cool,that sounds like an interesting rig-thing is I already have the Hot Tubes here,so I figured I might run that into the effects return and see what happens bypassing the L3's preamp-or maybe use a line selector to cycle between the L3's regular in or the Hot tubes into the effects return,essentially making it a dual channel amp

Archived