ATTENTION LEFORT: PLEASE CHECK IN AT ONCE! I NEED TO KNOW THAT YOU'RE OKAY

Ryan.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not dead yet!

Luckily I dont live anywhere near there, but one of my older sisters did for about 10 years. I bet she knew the old guy (when he was younger).

I do think it's nice that y'all came out and made such a genuine expression of concern.
But yeah, if anyone will do me in, it'll either be one of the rams, or I'll run into a cougar on one of my midnight walks down to investigate mysterious barn noises.

by the way, in the past two weeks the one thing that did nearly kill me was:

50 lbs of pickling cuckes
25 lbs of green beans
80 lbs of beets
3 jars of okra
9 jars of pickled eggs
3 tons of hay, stacked

I want my weekends back.

• Members

Your fingers must get strong with all that use... I find if I work my hands doing things like stacking cord wood they don't have as good of a touch on the guitar.

I found this to be the case before I became a dentist. Extracting teeth actually takes a fair amount of finger and wrist strenghth: slow movements, and precisely controlled...the old jerk-n-yank is the sign of a hack or a neophyte.

After I started dentistry, things like lifting haybales, as long as done on a daily basis, became easier. I learned how to parlay wrist-strength into a technique that eased pressure on my elbows ( the tendons/ligaments surrounding the olecranon process are a proverbial weak-point for me). Also, good leg/back technique are needed.

The impact on my guitar playing includes:

a) yeah, I'm a bit slower/not so nimble as I used to be.

b) I rarely EVER hear a note fuzzout for lack of pressure.

c) 3-4 semitone bends are not a problem.

d) if my fret hieght is too much, bent notes can result (I need to regain a lighter touch when I'm excited).

I'm not dead yet!

:phil:

But yeah, if anyone will do me in, it'll either be one of the rams, or I'll run into a cougar on one of my midnight walks down to investigate mysterious barn noises.

I just saw a teaser for the upcoming 11 o'clock news that said there is a local community with mountain lion concerns. They showed low light camera shots of two very large looking cougars.

I've lived and played in the foothills and mountain areas of southern California for much of my life. It's not the black bears that bother or concern me. Unless you do something stupid, they generally don't want to hurt you, and will try to avoid you. If a mountain lion thinks you're small enough, or if it's simply desperately hungry enough, it will stalk you and pounce on you as if you were a large rodent.

I'd recommend really good barn and yard lighting and a .40 S&W or larger Doc... take it with you on your rounds 'round the farm - especially when investigating late night noises in the barn. Oh, and a can of UDAP spray.

by the way, in the past two weeks the one thing that did nearly kill me was:

50 lbs of pickling cuckes

25 lbs of green beans

80 lbs of beets

3 jars of okra

9 jars of pickled eggs

3 tons of hay, stacked

I want my weekends back.

Stacking hay is nooooo fun! Hope it was dry!

• Members

With the screen name lefort_1, I have to ask,... Did you do an OMFS residency? By the way, congratulations on not being eaten by hogs.

No residency. But I seem to run into lefort patients at a much higher rate than the avg DMD/DDS.

Most of my 2 week hospitalOMFS rotation was spent taking care of a lefort patient (plus saggital split), immediate post-op... occlusal work, re-wiring the cage, etc.

Then two more in my patient population as a student (lots of bite-correction/finetuning).

Add another in my 3 year faculty stint (post auto-accident...not a pretty scene. Lots of reconstruction.).

And a pair of prosthetic condyles (one of the first 50 cases in the US). The entire condyle, from the angle-up.

Oh yeah, and a titanium mid-mandible reconstruction, post-removal of a massive OKC. The heaviest RPD I've ever designed. More than 2.5 cm of vertical DROP in the main-connector design, just to track the post-surgical defect.

Pathology seems to walk in my door all by itself. Some of the assistants at OHSU referred to me (or whereever I was at) as The Vortex.

Odd pathology would just walk in.....eg two separate oral cancer cases in one day. In a general urgent care clinic. The yearly rate was 4/year there.

Plus the clinic I did most of my work in was dedicated to providing dental care to 'medically indigent' folks. Basicly, if you had "endstage (fill in the blank)", then we had federal funds to see you at very low cost. 60+% of my patients were HIV folks who had run thru all the available med-cocktailprotocols, still had very poor stats, livers/kidneys that were shot and a mouth full of abscesses. Good times, no? But great people to work with. Very appreciative, and when the good thing happened, it couldn't get any better.

Honk:

ANS: The furry kind. They stalk you in the night, eyeing your tender areas and deciding what they'd like to bite first.

Did that help narrow it down? Prolly not.

• Members

:two costumey videos:

HAH! You know more about me than you think!

My highschool best friend/college roomie ended up kinda being known for costumes and puppetry...maybe you've seen his work.

Michael is kinda well known, in his circle.

In all his 'interviews', he puts out this artsy/cautious/carefully-worded vibe.... but scroll forward to about 7:45 where he talks about 'using everyones creativity'. That's the Michael I lived with for 3 years....we had something like 30 musical instruments in the house, plus it was filled with his paintings, the outside walls sprouted used ironworker's gloves as 'shingles' ... ahhhhh, the college dayz.

Archived