Bob Dylan in Concert

dZjupp

• Members

We did catering for a Dylan concert just 3 years ago and I swore it was Tom Waits singing. No vocal sweetness at all, just monotone gravel. Charlie Sexton was playing with him and the band sounded good, but it seemed like Bob was just phoning in the gig. No contact with the audience at all. I'm certainly glad I got in for free because if I would have paid for the show I would have been pissed at wasting the money.

• Members

maybe he has serious performance anxiety and gets really drunk to compensate

because thats what it seemed like to me, an embarrassing drunk impersonating bob dylan

badly

comical in a depressing way

thats when I knew I wanted to be just like him

• Members

Saw him last year in the middle of my full Dylan submersion phase. $160 for saying, "Hey I got to see Dylan" pretty much, he played half-assed versions of his songs playing somewhat atonally (and not in the good way) on his keyboard and didn't pick up a guitar once, with his band playing completely uncharacteristic music. I understand the guy's old but, as mentioned, Neil Young and Macca do it.

• Members

thanks for all the responses guys.

it sucks living in the midwest, i wanted to take a good friend to a show and i know he likes Dylan. There are cheaper tickets to this show.

anyway, its my friends bday, there is literally no other shows that weekend within a 500 mile radius

SUCKS

• Members

thanks for all the responses guys.

it sucks living in the midwest, i wanted to take a good friend to a show and i know he likes Dylan. There are cheaper tickets to this show.

anyway, its my friends bday, there is literally no other shows that weekend within a 500 mile radius

SUCKS

Then buy the cheaper tickets. I've seen Dylan a bunch of times, but like everyone said he's inconsistent, his voice is now totally shot, and he's playing keyboards, not guitar. Even 30 years ago you were as likely to get a bad show as a great one, with most somewhere in the middle.

FWIW, I passed on his concert in LA, but am going to go see Neil Young again next week, and will probably like it regardless if he plays Oh Susanna or not.

• Members

Like I said in my first post I have seen him be great and I have seen him not so great.

Opened for Rick Danko in a tiny club in Providence shortly before he died. He did a lot of Dylan songs (obviously) and was probably the best solo acoustic show I have ever seen in my life - maybe tied with seeing David Lindley with about 12 people in the audience, but he plays so many things it's not a fair comparison.

Paid a lot to take my dad to see Fogerty. Was a really great show, but his political rants were tough to stomach. You pay $300 for tickets and hear him rant for 20 minutes about those fat cats bilking the workin' man.

[video=youtube;uDm5o3FJ2Q8]

[video=youtube;QvvDwXg5ekY]

[video=youtube;evBXvbTx6nI]

Archived