Cubase vs logic

Elessar [Sly]

• Members

I used to use both pieces of software a lot a few years ago but I am out of the loop... I have a chance to buy a mac cheap off a friend and I could install logic on it. But... I am more used to using cubase (and as stated in a previous thread I was currently looking into Cubase 6.5).

Mac + Logic = spending more money. Which isn't exactly handy, what is the sound quality like with cubase 6.5 compared to logic? I will be using Audio more, and understand that cubase is known to be great with midi. I am after info sound quality not aesthetics (I know they both look and operate differently).

I currently have an M-Audio interface (I can't remember which model- currently I am at work), but I have had it since 2006/7. Perhaps I should update this as well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Elessar [sly] View Post
...what is the sound quality like with cubase 6.5 compared to logic? I will be using Audio more, and understand that cubase is known to be great with midi.
Quote Originally Posted by ZoomRmc View Post
Both sound as good as any modern daw.
Yes - you probably wouldn't be able to discern any difference in audio quality (using the same source audio through the same interface and speakers).

Some people may tell you that a mix created in Host X sounds better/different than Host Y, but other people will quickly dismiss that and put it down to differences in the way you have the mixer in each host set up (e.g. different pan laws).

One argument people use to negate any differences is to sum it up as: the host is just adding up ones and zeroes so there shouldn't be any difference in the output (as long as all other factors are the same).

Quote Originally Posted by Elessar [sly] View Post
...what is the sound quality like with cubase 6.5 compared to logic? I will be using Audio more, and understand that cubase is known to be great with midi.
Both Cubase and Logic are strong for MIDI work - they both started out as MIDI sequencers after all.

The most important thing in choosing which host you use is the workflow - if it suits you, then it is the right choice.

I've been using Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic, Cool Edit Pro/Audition and others for years now (for work)... I always favoured Cubase and used that when I had the choice (certain clients insist on specific hosts - lots of musicians choose Pro Tools because they've heard of it(!), while Cool Edit was commonly used in British broadcasting), but I have never really enjoyed using Logic.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomRmc View Post
Both sound as good as any modern daw.

I'd be still using cubase if they had decent comping solution. Switched to Presonus StudioOne and I'm pretty happy with it.
When did you make the switch?

I've always found manual comping quick and easy in Cubase, but they've added some very helpful features/tools in the last version which speeds things up considerably.

• Members

I don't know what your issue is with sound quality.
at this point DAW playback is equal (all other things considered).
it's like you're asking does itunes sound better then foobar2000
i don't get it.

maybe more pertinent to ask is "how do the bundled plugins and software instruments sound"?
I like the logic plugins, but they both leave things to be desired - hence the 3rd party plugin market.
the synths in logic are really great,
Logic 9 came with 40gigs of extra samples (everything from orchestral instruments to drums) - I think Logic Studio is much smaller but you can get the extra stuff from the app store (can someone please confirm or deny?)
but then again you could get a few TB of 3rd party samples and still feel unsatisfied.

I think there's a flexibility in Logic that you don't have in Cubase.
but once you're in that deep to be fussy about those details you're not asking for 'which is better' on a forum. it also just comes down to familiarity at that point. the elements are the same.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kpd78 View Post
When did you make the switch?

I've always found manual comping quick and easy in Cubase, but they've added some very helpful features/tools in the last version which speeds things up considerably.
Cubase 5 was the latest version at the time. 6.5 looks like a big improvement but I already am comfortable with the StudioOne. It just seems to me that my work flow sped up a bit with it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomRmc

View Post

Cubase 5 was the latest version at the time. 6.5 looks like a big improvement but I already am comfortable with the StudioOne. It just seems to me that my work flow sped up a bit with it.

That's fair enough. thumb.gif

Of the two, I prefer Logic - mainly because I spent more time with it, but the reason for that is mainly because I preferred it. wink.gif

Will you hear a difference in the sound quality between Logic and Cubase? I highly doubt it.

As far as audio editing, I prefer Pro Tools over either one. As far as MIDI goes, Logic is still one of the best MIDI sequencers ever coded IMO.

Should you upgrade your audio interface? That depends on which one you already have, and what your current and long-term needs are.

I definitely think that, of those three (Logic / Cubase / PT) PT has the best audio editing by a considerable margin, followed by Cubase - which has actually gotten much better over the past few versions. Logic still has a way to go in that regard IMO. But I think Logic kills as a compositional tool / MIDI sequencer.

• Members

I definitely think that, of those three (Logic / Cubase / PT) PT has the best audio editing by a considerable margin, followed by Cubase - which has actually gotten much better over the past few versions. Logic still has a way to go in that regard IMO. But I think Logic kills as a compositional tool / MIDI sequencer.

yes. logic is annoying for audio editting but by it's no means a huge problem.

the pros for MIDI work far far outweigh the cons of audio editting, if that's your thing.

the pros for MIDI work far far outweigh the cons of audio editting, if that's your thing.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly... I'd have to disagree that the MIDI features of Logic outweigh the audio editing challenges... but I'm not sure that's what you meant. :idk: For me, it certainly doesn't - especially since the last few versions of PT have made tremendous strides in terms of improving the MIDI recording / editing / notation feature set - to the point where I can do pretty much whatever MIDI tasks I want or need to in PT. The fact that I do far more with audio than with MIDI these days also helps explain my preference for Pro Tools. However, if composition is someone's main gig, and they rarely ever need to edit audio, I could see them happily opting for Logic since it's so strong in that regard. I can even see people deciding to opt for Logic plus another program for audio... it's just that IMHO, Logic isn't a very good multitrack audio recorder / editor, and trying to use it as such is somewhat frustrating - especially if you're aware of the better, more elegant and efficient editing software options that are available.

Archived