any FAILURE fans?

|||||

• Members

I was going through some of the stills I took of Failure's "Golden" DVD and thought others may have more gear shots.

album: http://imgur.com/a/DXUAf

jJ8mF.jpg

QnjQA.png

qMEmg.png

UTAJB.jpg

sIl8r.jpg

Mf8Le.png

kmFh3.jpg

NICzZ.jpg

W6P2V.png

(included because that's the DOD analog delay Greg uses in Autolux now... made me laugh)

troy van leeuwen: phase 90, ada flanger, (some sort of chorus), whammy II, dunlop crybaby, lexicon vortex w/tap switch, jmp-1 preamp, mesa/boogie power amp run through a marshall 4x12. controlled by a gcx and ground control v1

ken andrews: boss pedals? ada flanger, mutron divider, jmp-1, vht power amp.

comfort/magnified era: boss bf2, dd3 crybaby wah through jmp-1 and vht power amp

greg edwards: green big muff, turbo rat, boss EQ, lexicon vortex, dunlop trem, volume pedal, ampeg svtII

anyone care to help fill in the gaps?

• Members

You've got everything covered that I know of.

Cool thread on one of my favorite bands! It's trippy, because I vaguely remember someone set up in the back filming this show below. Only years later did it turn up on YouTube, and it really blew my mind. I can spot myself in the audience here and there. It really brings back memories of how good they were.

[video=youtube;bXr2xqsoK70]

• Members

I am such an idiot, I didn't realize Greg was the same dude from Autolux. Anyhow, Failure is/was awesome. I dig Ken Andrews's solo stuff and the same goes for what the rest of the band went on to do.

yeah dude. Greg is the man. Autolux stuff is super creative.

On topic though. Yeah, I love failure.

[video=youtube;h4vtVBoC5hQ]

• Members

it's funny how much they influenced tool in regards to gear. greg was using the mark I wal with a turbo rat and eq which is now a staple with JC of tool. i'm pretty sure they even borrowed the mark I for the recording of aenima. ken was using the wah/flange/delay combo which adam jones later adopted. i wish i knew how TVL got that "lead" sound (the same sound at the beginning of 'stuck on you'). i think it may be dyna comp/flange/whammy/preset on the jmp-1 for more volume. who knows...

• Members

also, if anyone has the audio/video from the 'golden' dvd (the live performances) of the magnified tour that would be much appreciated.

Interesting observations. Failure toured with Tool on their Undertow tour. I saw that tour in Houston, and was really into Tool at the time. I didn't know who Failure was, and was only really there for Tool. People were booing failure during their set, and Maynerd came out and chastised the audience for being dicks. So they knew each other from pretty early on... Only later did I look at my ticket stub and put together it was the same band that made Fantastic Planet!

I don't have Golden, but have seen the DVD. Pretty cool stuff for the Failure aficionado. I remember the DVD talking a lot about Greg's drug problems and limited ability to keep it together on tour. That being one of the reasons they broke up. I'm glad he seems to have pulled through that stuff okay, he seemed pretty 'there' the last time I saw him with Autolux.

• Members

I believe the lead sound on the intro riff od "Stuck on You" is actually a keyboard using a piano sound ran through effects. I am at work now but I recall and interview on line about that.

Right, that's the studio version. Keyboard -> Guitar rig. I'm talking about the live version with Troy doing the lead sounds. For a lot of the songs he used that similar 'lead' (flangey/whammy) sound. Songs that come to mind that have it are Sergeant Politeness, Bernie, Pitiful, etc. Blank and Leo had a really cool (fast) chorus/delay solo. I'm not sure what chorus he was using back then but it was used in combination with the Vortex.

• Members

Interesting observations. Failure toured with Tool on their Undertow tour. I saw that tour in Houston, and was really into Tool at the time. I didn't know who Failure was, and was only really there for Tool. People were booing failure during their set, and Maynerd came out and chastised the audience for being dicks. So they knew each other from pretty early on... Only later did I look at my ticket stub and put together it was the same band that made Fantastic Planet!

I don't have Golden, but have seen the DVD. Pretty cool stuff for the Failure aficionado. I remember the DVD talking a lot about Greg's drug problems and limited ability to keep it together on tour. That being one of the reasons they broke up. I'm glad he seems to have pulled through that stuff okay, he seemed pretty 'there' the last time I saw him with Autolux.

If I could I would some how send you the DVD. The commentary is a big bonus. It gives some detail about the drug problems but it's really brief. There's some audio/video of a show they play in Europe (I believe it's Frogs/Undone) and it sounds incredible. I don't have any audio/video from that tour so it would be great if someone out there had it.

Archived