When Recording Electric Guitar...

Player99

• Members

Do you ever mic the guitar at the pickups to get the acoustic sound of the strings and pick noises to blend in with the amp? I was playing my SG fairly heavy od sound but at a lower volume so I could hear the un-amplified sounds and was wondering if it is used in the mix or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Player99

View Post

Do you ever mic the guitar at the pickups to get the acoustic sound of the strings and pick noises to blend in with the amp? I was playing my SG fairly heavy od sound but at a lower volume so I could hear the un-amplified sounds and was wondering if it is used in the mix or not.

Sure, I've used that trick a few times. If you add it in at just the right level, it can give distorted tones an interesting "something extra" - a bit of ghostly, added definition and zing that can sound quite interesting. Give it a try - if you don't like it, you can always mute that track in the mix. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Sure, I've used that trick a few times. If you add it in at just the right level, it can give distorted tones an interesting "something extra" - a bit of ghostly, added definition and zing that can sound quite interesting. Give it a try - if you don't like it, you can always mute that track in the mix. smile.gif

I believe miking the strings goes back at least as far as Norm Petty's work with Buddy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by big_cat

View Post

I was playing guitar for this singer-songwriter on a live session once and the engineer close mic'd the electric bass itself in an iso room with a kick drum mic. sounded {censored}ing massive when mixed in with the direct signal.

If you do it the right way it can sound great on bass. It adds back in just enough of the ultra high frequencies/string-on-fret noise to make it sound big without having the mid frequencies that step on guitar tracks.

When recording solid body electric guitar that way I end up hearing mostly the sound of the pick hitting the strings, which usually doesn't add much to the recording. Usually.

It is very common to mic big hollowbody jazz guitars and blend with the magnetic pickup signal.

Archived