New Pedals Day! One free, one purchased... both cheap... and yellow

tronus

• Members

Been GAS'n for another SD-1 since I sold my Analogman SD-1/808/Silver. The shop I teach at has had one in their case for a few months and I've been staring at it. I finally broke down and bought it today. Can't wait to get home and stick it on my board!

15 years ago, when I started playing guitar, I came to this shop for lessons and stayed for a few years. All this time later, I'm teaching here now. I sit on the left side of the room now! haha. Anyways, this DOD has been here since I started lessons. My teacher just left it in this room. When I took over it was still down here. I guess it's mine? Well, at least to borrow for a while... I'm going to finally take it home today and try it out.

20121124_111532.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by vulcaniza P

View Post

hot.

hows the dod overdrive?

I don't know yet actually... I knew I'd be turning that BOSS OD on and off all f'n weekend while I nerded out working it into my rig and trying it with my amps. I'm teaching tonight so I'll snag it and take it home. I'll let you know though!

Quote Originally Posted by echodeluxe

View Post

that dod overdrive looks cool. theres one at a shop near me for really cheap. i might check it out but i really dont need another overdrive hah

Haha, tell me about it... I really didn't need the SD-1 at all but I couldn't help myself. I knew they'd give me a deal since I got all my first gear and more to follow, there. I can't wait to try the DOD later tonight. I'll post back if that DOD is something that you might want to consider popping for cheap on.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhonk

View Post

Sd1 is as good as it gets.

I'm really liking this thing... It adds a great color and feel. The higher gain sounds are really glassy and bite'y but into a darker dirt channel, it sort of blends nicely. I mainly planned on running it low and just sort of using it as an EQ/sustain/widener type thing when I wanted to come forward in the mix. Also, BOSS switches are really nice feeling and easy too toggle if you stack to BOSS dirt pedals right next to each other.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tronus

View Post

I'm really liking this thing... It adds a great color and feel. The higher gain sounds are really glassy and bite'y but into a darker dirt channel, it sort of blends nicely. I mainly planned on running it low and just sort of using it as an EQ/sustain/widener type thing when I wanted to come forward in the mix. Also, BOSS switches are really nice feeling and easy too toggle if you stack to BOSS dirt pedals right next to each other.

yeah, the sd1 is usable throughout the whole gain sweep imo. bridge pup on my asat with the sd1 is terrific. use the guitars tone knob to fatten it up a little.

• Members

I miss my SD1. I took out C6 on mine after a while of owning it and it made a pretty nice difference in it. It made the bass cut not as noticeable as well as the lower gain settings a little smoother. The high gain settings were still awesome. I always said if I got another I'd put that mod on a switch so I could go back to stock if I wanted. Happy NPD.

• Members

That sounds awesome, actually. I was going to look into mods eventually and I was interested in that one. I did the easy r28 mod on my phase 90 so it sounded like something I could do quickly. I hear ya on the switch. If I try it and want to go back, I'll probably just jumper whatever I cut, if possible. The switch sounds neat though.

Thanks for the heads up on the mod. I noticed the bass cut right away but figured in a band mix it might work out for the better. I'm always adding bass to my signal. I should try cutting it for once. I do think the pedal would be more in line with my usual low gain pedal EQ preferences, if it had a bit more bass... Damn, I just nerded out.

Quote Originally Posted by conky

View Post

I miss my SD1. I took out C6 on mine after a while of owning it and it made a pretty nice difference in it. It made the bass cut not as noticeable as well as the lower gain settings a little smoother. The high gain settings were still awesome. I always said if I got another I'd put that mod on a switch so I could go back to stock if I wanted. Happy NPD.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tronus

View Post

That sounds awesome, actually. I was going to look into mods eventually and I was interested in that one. I did the easy r28 mod on my phase 90 so it sounded like something I could do quickly. I hear ya on the switch. If I try it and want to go back, I'll probably just jumper whatever I cut, if possible. The switch sounds neat though.

Thanks for the heads up on the mod. I noticed the bass cut right away but figured in a band mix it might work out for the better. I'm always adding bass to my signal. I should try cutting it for once. I do think the pedal would be more in line with my usual low gain pedal EQ preferences, if it had a bit more bass... Damn, I just nerded out.

It is a super easy mod. You just take C6 completely out. No jumpering or anything needed. I did the R28 mod before too and it is just as easy as that. With the C6 mod there is still a little bass cut, nature of the pedal I guess, but it still sounds good. I used mine as a low gain od to push my amp's dirt channel and give a little grit to the cleans.

• Members

I just meant I'd snip a lug and jumper it back some day if I wanted to reverse it... unless you can't do it like that?

Yea, I think its part of the pedals character and taking too much of it away would change things too much. It'd be fun to screw with that some day though.

I'll be using this pedal for the same reasons you mentioned there... Fatter/gritty clean channel and more dirt on top of my dirt channel.

Quote Originally Posted by conky

View Post

It is a super easy mod. You just take C6 completely out. No jumpering or anything needed. I did the R28 mod before too and it is just as easy as that. With the C6 mod there is still a little bass cut, nature of the pedal I guess, but it still sounds good. I used mine as a low gain od to push my amp's dirt channel and give a little grit to the cleans.

Archived