fz-1 maestro clone pedal issue

Sordid1

• Members

I have a maestro fz-1 clone that I recently got but it seems the fuzz control doesn't work. The pedal works fine except I can't adjust the gain level and I "think" it should be able to. I tested the pot and it's find and all the connections seem to be fine. I took my soldering iron to all the connections and they seem solid.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Sordid1 View Post
the originals did use aa batteries, this one runs on power from my t-rex power supply. Still would love to know if this is normal or if there is something wrong, not a lot of these pedals in my area to try out (meaning none).

_Shane
there's an original FZ-1 with manual on craigs here, I'm thinking of making an offer

• Members

Oh and the trimmer looks like its about where it needs to be, so i'd wager its all good. The knob I lableded fuzz was labeled attack on the originals. Probably a mistake on my part because its all fuzz all the time with these. That knob, to some degree, effects the timbre of the fuzz tone but it also influences how the pedal responds to changes in guitar volume and pick attack. If you search FZ-1 on YouTube you'll hear plenty of demos, including a original recorded in 1962. Note how it sounds and reacts nothing like, say, a Fuzz Face.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lowbrow

View Post

Oh and the trimmer looks like its about where it needs to be, so i'd wager its all good. The knob I lableded fuzz was labeled attack on the originals. Probably a mistake on my part because its all fuzz all the time with these. That knob, to some degree, effects the timbre of the fuzz tone but it also influences how the pedal responds to changes in guitar volume and pick attack. If you search FZ-1 on YouTube you'll hear plenty of demos, including a original recorded in 1962. Note how it sounds and reacts nothing like, say, a Fuzz Face.

This is correct. My ignorance was the issue :-[

• Members

I had an original and reissue fz1 at the same time and recall them both sounding close, if not the reissue being slightly better (age of components likely the small variation)

When I happen upon one again I'm buying it. It really sounded like a ehx lpb2 with some reedy overtones more than what many would consider a "fuzz"

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by hangwire View Post
I had an original and reissue fz1 at the same time and recall them both sounding close, if not the reissue being slightly better (age of components likely the small variation)

When I happen upon one again I'm buying it. It really sounded like a ehx lpb2 with some reedy overtones more than what many would consider a "fuzz"
I've seen them as low as $75.00, it's been a while though. the FZ-1 is way more rare than the 1A or B or whatever it is. the one on Craigs here is bugging me, I'd just buy it but I have another expensive fuzz on order.

Archived