What fuzz am I after?

Herptheflerp

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BHz_econo

View Post

Fuzz factory, Peppermint (I prefer the dark), mid-fi Demo Tape Fuzz, and possibly when you're ready something from Trombetta.

Actually check out the J Rockett WTF, it was designed by Trombetta -

Quote Originally Posted by The Lou-Dog

View Post

What about the Trombetta Mini-bone or whatever

ahem...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Lou-Dog

View Post

is it?

I see no specific reference to the Mini-Bone, friend.....

I don't think a mini-bone is a souped up rat at all. Mine sounds nothing like a rat, even on the more overdrive type sounds.

You said "or whatever". Also the WTF is a modified mini-bone.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BHz_econo

View Post

I don't think a mini-bone is a souped up rat at all. Mine sounds nothing like a rat, even on the more overdrive type sounds.

You said "or whatever". Also the WTF is a modified mini-bone.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdesign

View Post

Yes!

In 2007 I became tired of my long time friend the RAT.

I bought my first Boss tone and noticed the similarities in timbre, cut

and grind and the underlining musicallity.

I set out to build the better RAT

Most importantly at the time, I wanted the juicy neck pup chirp of the RAT without the transistory artifacts that plague the RAT. (pun alert)

The Tromboner was first, then came the mini-boner. Well every inquiry or deposit I recieved was titled mini-bone.

And my buddy John "Fatback" McCoy titled the first demo vid mini-bone.

I took the hint.

The above video was shot by my Brazillian friend and GREAT guitarist Alex Frias. He nails horn phrasing just like Scott Lerner.

anything, -p

i never would've thought rat either, and maybe that was just a starting point. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by goodhonk

View Post

i never would've thought rat either, and maybe that was just a starting point. idn_smilie.gif

Glad I checked this. (any thread with fuzz gets me)

I knew I should have cleared that up. The mini was based off the Boss tone. I was playing RATS for years. but never loved the transistory artifacts. I did love that neck pup chewy lead squish.

I bought a Boss tone and noticed the similarities in grind and raw rock n roll tone.

But the BT had much better cleanup, better dynamics and forgive the reference, more amp-like response. So I set out to make a super charged, heavier sounding BT. When I got a hint of the horn sounds, I pursued perfecting that too.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Herptheflerp

View Post

Nope, I have a Stomp under foot big muff clone and the son of a bee fuzz, both of which provide a great lead tone, but I'm looking for more of a pedal to leave on all the time and ride the volume on my guitar for rhythm/lead. Thinking of Hendrix live tones specifically, those kind of fuzz tones.

What kind of pickups in your git? If they are low on signal, put a booster in front of the fuzz to heat up the signal?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Squid

View Post

I second that. Get a Rat, turn the gain up and enjoy the fuzzy awesomess, selfoscillation and glowing feedback. Don't know about the clean up thing, I never felt the need to clean up. That's what my wife says.

I have three of them and have never heard a RAT self oscillate

• Members

DMB Foxy Pi rate. A hybrid of a muff and a fuzz face kinda thing. It has a clean knob on it that lets you mix in a clean signal in with your fuzz sound. Or you can just leave that off!

The Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom might good for what the op is after too....

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Squid

View Post

FF vary a lot, if you had one with a bad transistor that might be the cause for your problems... Did you put it first in chain? It sounds {censored}ty and compressed behind a buffered pedal and loses a lot of the clean up ability if not first in chain.

good points to consider.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Herptheflerp

View Post

So after reading so many fuzz threads on here I dropped the cash on a used Hartman bc108 fuzz face clone. I enjoy it, but it seems that unity volume is at the max on the volume level, and it just seems somewhat... tame I guess idn_smilie.gif

I want that raunchy over the top feedback laden tone, but this pedal even with the level and fuzz set at the max just doesn't seem to get raunchy or rude enough. What am I looking for? Am currently eyeing some tonebender mk1.5 and mkII clones but not sure if that is what I should be looking at.

Playing through a mahogany guitar with suhr aldrich pickups into a jca50, crunch channel with the gain set to just barely edge of breakup and volume anywhere from 2-3 to 5-7.

At 2-3 you're not going to get raunchy over the top feedback laden tone but you should at 5-7. Have you tried boosting your fuzz with a clean boost, EQ with it's level up, compressor, OD set clean with volume up high or something similar? You can usually push a fuzz over the top if you stack it with another drive pedal.

Archived