Rec me a vibrato pedal

hugbot

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent'd View Post
I concluded my vibrato hunt with The Worm, there are some mods out there for it that extend the range and brought the noise-floor way down. It has a very different character than chorus based vibrato, it is phaser based.
Do you have any demos of the mod? Or any links to more info? Does it change the tonal character of the effect?

I would be interested in picking up a beat up Worm to try the mod on, though I'm more than happy with the way it is. It's one of my favorite effects ever love.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Fender&EHX4ever View Post
Do you have any demos of the mod? Or any links to more info? Does it change the tonal character of the effect?

I would be interested in picking up a beat up Worm to try the mod on, though I'm more than happy with the way it is. It's one of my favorite effects ever love.gif
sorry I don't....Puretube linked to the mods here a while back, I bought mine already modded, I love it so much love.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
I had both at the same time. Very close in sound, but not the same. Nowhere near comparable in build quality, which is an important consideration if you're going to use unlatch mode.
let's talk srs business then.

how was the bypass on that one, and, honestly, could you/anyone tell them apart in band mix?

• Members

let's talk srs business then.

how was the bypass on that one, and, honestly, could you/anyone tell them apart in band mix?

ok, srs business:

I never played live with the UV-300 because at that point I had already had the VB-2 and it already had velcro and scuffs from being stomped on...so what would I be saving it from at that point? Could I tell a difference with a band? Probably not - but whether that is because I'd be focusing on so many other things at a gig than just my tone is a question that would need to be asked before making a real assessment. But I don't play out anymore, and I could tell the differnece in my living room and when I recorded by myself which is what I do now so I don't see why I'd even be concerned with how it sounds in a noisy bar with questionably clean power anymore. There is a difference. The UV-300 is noisier and it does mess with your eq and it added weird artifacts in the high end that was clearly apparent. The VB-2 just sounded better. But even if you can't tell a difference in sound at a gig, you'll notice a difference pretty quick if the pedal stops working and kills your signal completely. If you're gigging even twice a month, and regularly use the unlatch feature (seriously, this is the only way to use it) the UV-300 WILL break down sooner than later with all that additional stomping. Even if its over the course of 5-10 years, you will come into trouble with that pedal through gig-type use. This Boss pedal is 30 years old and I expect another 30 years of use of of it. Sure, mine was obviously lightly used in that time, but it's a Boss pedal...enough said.

I like the vibrato effect. It is to me what delay is to most of you. Can you distinguish between each delay on the market in a live setting either? Is a $700 MF-104M worth 7 times a DD-7? Maybe if you like delay, sure. I like pedal vibrato, and I've tried many different vibrato pedals (polychorus, DOD fx65, malekko vibrato, uv-300, deluxe pitch pirate, Sonic Crayon, Diamond) because why not...but none of them were going to replace the VB-2 as there was nothing I felt I wanted from a vibrato pedal that the VB-2 didn't have. I spent somewhere around $250 for this pedal, which isn't bad at all, and I know I'll have a reliable, great sounding pedal of one of my favorite effects for years ahead. I buy for keeps, so if I know what I want and like I'll spend some cash and be done with it.

I realize I've become a caricature with all my VB-2 talk, just like Kestral and his FA-1..but whatever. Great pedal that gets dismissed entirely too quickly because it's not $150 at every retailer on the internet, despite there being equally expensive and exclusive pedals that are well used and discussed here all the time. I wouldn't spend $400 for the ones on ebay, but I don't have to as they can be found cheaper regularly if you look a little. Just two months ago I saw a $220 VB-2 in pretty good condition over on the Gretsch forums. :idk:

Archived