hesitation about modding a vintage pedal to make it more pedalboard friendly

bean7

• Members

Acquired a lovely sounding old Ibanez OD850 in great original condition - its got no modern luxuries like 9v dc socket, LED .. Soo, not too worried about lack of LED or true bypass, but the it would be really handy to drill for the 9v dc socket and velcro it to the pedalboard. It also still has the original old foam pad stuck to the bottom which I'd have to rip off to attach velcro.

Torn between adding some useful mods or keeping it in original condition. Probably shouldn't care but it feels wrong to take a drill to something thats survived quite nicely for 30 odd years.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nightraven

View Post

As long as you do it neatly adding a dc jack and true bypass will probably improve the value of an early OD-850 like that

Thats kind of what I was wondering, if people generally see changes like this as useful/valuable (or less so).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D

View Post

No one has tackled the Velcro issue though

I don't use velcro on my boards, I pieces of bike chain as brackets. I learned it from Phil. Bike chain repair tool + bike chain = all the mounting equipment you'll ever need. Or you can just get little scraps of sheet metal & drill 2 holes in them.

• Members

Like you(bean7) mentioned, it does seem like it's true bypass. You'd still need a 3pdt(or millenium bypass) to add an indicator. For an indicator without drilling anything you could do the plexi back plate. You could make an indentation on the edge of the plexi to get the adaptor plug trough without it being squashed by the back plate.

dsc07634n.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Faldoe

View Post

if a solution is not produced, all other suggestions should not be implemented.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and go to the metal stock section. Get a piece of aluminum stock 1/2 wide - they're usually about 2 - 3 feet long. Cut the strip into two pieces for your pedal bottom. Drill (and countersink) holes to match the screw holes on the pedal. Attatch the velcro to the aluminum.

I have done this with a bunch of rare/old pedals. Works great.

Archived