OT: What camera you using?

woolyh

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ben_allison

View Post

Wow. Used the image comparison on DP Review... E-M5 actually looks like it have better detail and clarity than the 60D. It even holds up to the 5D. Wow.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/19

And those are some fast lenses. You could probably shoot in super low light, sans flash. How's the video?

Yeah it was a pretty freaky camera when it first came out, the performance scores put it right up there with APS-C DSLRs which is crazy.

A quote from dpreview:

The E-M5 can't completely overcome the light capture disadvantage brought by its smaller sensor, compared to APS-C, but it reduces it to the point that it's irrelevant for almost all practical purposes. At which point we think its size advantage, in terms of both body and lenses, will outweigh that difference for most uses. If you're absolutely unwilling to compromise on image quality then spending twice the money and moving up to the bulk of full-frame is the only way of gaining a significant step up from the E-M5.

Basically that. And having used it for 6 months, I believe it.

It's not without its flaws, though. it's really expensive (a grand for body only, though I think its gone down now), and the microphones clip a lot more than my old GF1. Wish it had better manual movie controls, and the menu system is pretty confusing at first. It doesn't have an in-body flash, it's a seperate thing that comes with it. I never use flash, though. My lenses are plenty fast and even at ISO 3200 this thing rocks. The noise in monochromatic noise, so it's much nicer to look at than rainbow vomit chromatic noise. It's also weatherproof and all made of metal.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Deville

View Post

Interesting read...

I've been looking at picking up a Cannon T3i and an additional 50mm lens based on recommendations from a number of people. I have some financial restrictions (i.e. I can't spend $2k on a camera), and the camera needs to perform well shooting HD video.

Would yall photography enthusiasts say a T3i is a wise choice? Primary application is shooting pedal stills & video.

I have a T3i, and it works fine. I have the kit 17-55, 50-250 and 50 mm 1.8 prime lenses, which are ok for cheap money, but I'd really like to get a decent quality 28 or 30 mm prime...that will put me back $500-$700, though

Depending on how much you want to shoot videos you might actually want to look at the older/slightly less capable T2i. There's some aftermarket firmware out there that cracks a lot of the built-in processing and control limitations of the T2i and turns it into a poor man's professional video rig.

• Members

I forgot that my g/f is selling her Nikon D90 with a couple lenses and stuff, an extended warranty too. If interested, pm me, as I don't know what she wants, but I seem to rember the entire shot was under $500, and it is in cherry shape. She bought a D800.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Deville

View Post

{censored}. I didn't even set the scope bounds.

-DSLR

-

-Manual parameter controls (this is kinda standard on DSLRs no?)

I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about this stuff, obviously. I just hoping for some advice or suggestions about what to look at rather than a "Buy this model" reply.

t3i is nice and would be a great bet, but I'd recomend looking at the Nikon d5200 as well.

They both do good video and are great still cameras.

t3i has the video crop modes, which are really really nice and a pretty unique feature to that particular camera.

Either way, but an older pentax, Nikon, whatever else 50 1.4 prime and you'll be good to go video wise.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tape

View Post

the sony rx100 is pretty much THE compact, if we're talking about "pocketable" smaller-sensor non-interchangable zoom lens cameras. compared to all other compacts, it's got a much bigger sensor (around the same size of the overrated nikon 1 series).

I have one of these, like it a lot, does everything I need (I am a complete amateur though). It's also incredibly small.

• Members

5D mk.II with a 24-70 2.8L and a 50 1.4

I don't use it these days nearly as much as I should and I feel remorse for that... I just decided I really didn't enjoy shooting the kinds of things that make money nearly as much as I just enjoyed shooting my band on the road. Now I work a full time+ job so unfortunately the camera spends more time at idle than I'd like it to.

• Members

Just a quick one for camera dudes, would not having interchangeable lenses be a big deal in the long term? Like I'm a noob now but I'm dropping a lot of money on the camera so I want it to last a good 5+ years so it'll be a bummer if I have to upgrade if I really get into it or are expensive lenses and upgrades really more the reserve of professionals rather than amateurs?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by woolyh

View Post

Just a quick one for camera dudes, would not having interchangeable lenses be a big deal in the long term? Like I'm a noob now but I'm dropping a lot of money on the camera so I want it to last a good 5+ years so it'll be a bummer if I have to upgrade if I really get into it or are expensive lenses and upgrades really more the reserve of professionals rather than amateurs?

I bought a (so-called) prosumer camera in 2005 and replaced it with a DSLR in '07. I'm still shooting with that camera now having been through four or five lenses to find the ones that suit me. My 'stable' of lenses now is a 35mm f/1.8 for general shooting with a 11-16mm zoom for landscapey stuff and a 50-200mm zoom for wildlifey stuff. I'm thinking of upgrading the camera but I'm more than happy with those lenses.

Lenses can be expensive, and the more you spend the better they are, but if you read reviews there are plenty of good, budget lenses out there, and they can be pretty cheap second-hand on ebay as people buy them, use them once and then put them on a shelf. There are so many lenses with 'used once or twice' in the description.

Archived