So I have an RE-20 headed my way...

ben_allison

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

when it first came out, i was floored because it sounded extremely close to a well maintained space echo. i cant say exactly but i couldnt tell the difference in a blind test. at the time i just wanted a space echo sound and i got it. since then ive found it to be really versatile. the two band eq really makes a difference as far as having the repeats be as dark or pronounced as you want.

one of my favorite sounds is having the treble rolled off pretty dramatically and the feedback on the edge of runaway and the echo volume down so that its in the background. everything i play is clear but there is a background of almost oscillating warm washy stuff that sounds amazing. mmmm. like fresh cornbread on a bed of 1/4" tape.

• Members

Yup. RE-20 is really good for "that" sound. It's pretty close to the original, right down to the crappy short-tank reverb. The patterned multi-head echoes are a lot of fun, and I love the way they dissolve into a sonic soup. Yup, there's a lot to like about the RE-20.

Oh, and you might find that you don't need to add a vibrato to get the warble you're seeking.

My only criticism was that the tap tempo didn't work as I expected (although it was probably working as designed). Here's the deal: I expected the tap tempo to be referenced to one particular head. That'd let you subdivisions (or multiples) depending upon what heads were going to the output and which head was the tap reference. Instead, Boss seems to reference the tap to (I think) the first enabled head. There's an argument to be made for doing that, but it seems less useful to me.

• Members

You guys should try the new Vox DelayLab, it's really pretty damn cool. So many different delays on this thing, and nice ability to tweak each mode or sub mode too, without it being overly complicated. Large, but in charge. Also not uber expensive either.

Archived