Guitar Picks

Stazinish

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by christianatl

View Post

All you dudes talking about wearing out picks, do you not know the "rub on carpet to sharpen" trick?

Heard of, but do not know the particulars. EXPLAIN PLS!

I use sandpaper of some sort.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by christianatl

View Post

All you dudes talking about wearing out picks, do you not know the "rub on carpet to sharpen" trick?

Heard of, but do not know the particulars. EXPLAIN PLS!

I use sandpaper of some sort.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by CicadaSilence

View Post

Yeah, I had a couple different ones. All of the big ones had rounded points, and the pointed ones were too small. I've been meaning to give them another shot.

I got a few just cuz (all 3mm or under). They were a'ight. I got a glow in the dark one that was neat, and 1mm'ish one that is great on acoustic. Hard to justify the price though... there are some other "booteek" picks out there that might have the perfect blend of size, shape, and stiffness for you.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by CicadaSilence

View Post

Yeah, I had a couple different ones. All of the big ones had rounded points, and the pointed ones were too small. I've been meaning to give them another shot.

I got a few just cuz (all 3mm or under). They were a'ight. I got a glow in the dark one that was neat, and 1mm'ish one that is great on acoustic. Hard to justify the price though... there are some other "booteek" picks out there that might have the perfect blend of size, shape, and stiffness for you.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ben_allison

View Post

Hard to justify the price though... there are some other "booteek" picks out there that might have the perfect blend of size, shape, and stiffness for you.

Yeah, the price is why I didn't stick with them. A couple pick experiments, and I could have bought a pedal.

I tried a couple other weird ones back in the day, and the Jazz III/Ultex combination seems to work. They're readily available and not too expensive.

• Members

View Post

Hard to justify the price though... there are some other "booteek" picks out there that might have the perfect blend of size, shape, and stiffness for you.

Yeah, the price is why I didn't stick with them. A couple pick experiments, and I could have bought a pedal.

I tried a couple other weird ones back in the day, and the Jazz III/Ultex combination seems to work. They're readily available and not too expensive.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Machine Gun

View Post

You do understand you don't have to murder the strings in order for them to make noise, right? Or maybe you should quit stringing your guitar with barbed wire. eek.gif

It's just rock and roll, man.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Definitely trying some new picks out this week.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Machine Gun

View Post

You do understand you don't have to murder the strings in order for them to make noise, right? Or maybe you should quit stringing your guitar with barbed wire. eek.gif

It's just rock and roll, man.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Definitely trying some new picks out this week.

View Post

.6 is more of a medium weight, wouldn't you say?

Those are the orange ones IIRC. In Tortex, I'd say it's just on the light side of medium - medium-light. The only ones lighter are the red ones, which are .5 IIRC. I often use the orange and occasionally red Tortex on acoustic, and usually the yellow (.73) and occasionally the green (.88) on electric. I reserve the blue (1.0) and purple (1.14) ones for bass, although I use my fingers just as often as I use a pick, and I occasionally use a felt pick on bass too.

I've got a box full of different types of picks that got lost or left behind in the studio. I love having a collection of different types and sizes sitting around. It's great for when someone needs a pick, and it's also cool to have the different tonal options.

View Post

Those are the orange ones IIRC. In Tortex, I'd say it's just on the light side of medium - medium-light. The only ones lighter are the red ones, which are .5 IIRC. I often use the orange and occasionally red Tortex on acoustic, and usually the yellow (.73) and occasionally the green (.88) on electric. I reserve the blue (1.0) and purple (1.14) ones for bass, although I use my fingers just as often as I use a pick, and I occasionally use a felt pick on bass too.

I've got a box full of different types of picks that got lost or left behind in the studio. I love having a collection of different types and sizes sitting around. It's great for when someone needs a pick, and it's also cool to have the different tonal options.

View Post

Those are the orange ones IIRC. In Tortex, I'd say it's just on the light side of medium - medium-light. The only ones lighter are the red Tortex, which are .5 IIRC. I often use the orange and occasionally red Tortex on acoustic, and usually the yellow (.73) and occasionally the green (.88) ones on electric. I reserve the blue (1.0) and purple (1.14) ones for bass, although for bass I use my fingers just as often as I use a pick, and I occasionally use a felt pick on bass too.

I've got a box full of different types of picks that got lost or left behind in the studio. I love having a collection of different types and sizes sitting around. It's great for when someone needs a pick (I often have "your brand" and preferred thickness in there somewhere), and it's also cool to have the different tonal options.

Archived