Guitar Picks

Stazinish

Quote Originally Posted by ben_allison

View Post

.6 is more of a medium weight, wouldn't you say?

Those are the orange ones IIRC. In Tortex, I'd say it's just on the light side of medium - medium-light. The only ones lighter are the red Tortex, which are .5 IIRC. I often use the orange and occasionally red Tortex on acoustic, and usually the yellow (.73) and occasionally the green (.88) ones on electric. I reserve the blue (1.0) and purple (1.14) ones for bass, although for bass I use my fingers just as often as I use a pick, and I occasionally use a felt pick on bass too.

I've got a box full of different types of picks that got lost or left behind in the studio. I love having a collection of different types and sizes sitting around. It's great for when someone needs a pick (I often have "your brand" and preferred thickness in there somewhere), and it's also cool to have the different tonal options.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

I've got a box full of different types of picks that got lost or left behind in the studio. I love having a collection of different types and sizes sitting around. It's great for when someone needs a pick (I often have "your brand" and preferred thickness in there somewhere), and it's also cool to have the different tonal options.

The owner of the rehearsal studio I use has a pick jar and it sure does come in handy. I myself am a Fender heavy or medium kind of guy. I also don't like worn pics and use a new one per gig or rehearsal. I do like those orange dunlops for acoustic.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

The owner of the rehearsal studio I use has a pick jar and it sure does come in handy. I myself am a Fender heavy or medium kind of guy. I also don't like worn pics and use a new one per gig or rehearsal. I do like those orange dunlops for acoustic.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by six acre lake

View Post

I've been using copper picks for a decade easy... Way before my EGC obviously. I just love the feel / flex and scrape they make when playing. .6 copper picks for life.

Hey, SAL;

School me on some of those. I've been toying with the idea of picking up some DR picks ( http://www.drguitarpicks.com/index.html ) and want to know more about how metal picks feel/sound etc... especially when it comes to the differing metals.

What'cha know? confused.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by six acre lake

View Post

I've been using copper picks for a decade easy... Way before my EGC obviously. I just love the feel / flex and scrape they make when playing. .6 copper picks for life.

Hey, SAL;

School me on some of those. I've been toying with the idea of picking up some DR picks ( http://www.drguitarpicks.com/index.html ) and want to know more about how metal picks feel/sound etc... especially when it comes to the differing metals.

What'cha know? confused.gif

• Members

Been using the Ultex Jazz III picks for a while now. Took some adjusting as they're pretty small, but I pick more accurately now than I ever have before.

Used green Tortex all through my teen years but I absolutely hate them now. Cannot and will not use Tortex picks, they feel and sound awful to me. I switched over to black 1mm Dunlop Nylons for a quite a few years after that and was always happy with them til I made the switch to Ultex Jazz IIIs.

• Members

Been using the Ultex Jazz III picks for a while now. Took some adjusting as they're pretty small, but I pick more accurately now than I ever have before.

Used green Tortex all through my teen years but I absolutely hate them now. Cannot and will not use Tortex picks, they feel and sound awful to me. I switched over to black 1mm Dunlop Nylons for a quite a few years after that and was always happy with them til I made the switch to Ultex Jazz IIIs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by starmansam

View Post

I was jamming with a copper pick today. they are not to be knocked until they are tried. the attack is very unique. sharp and percussive.

I had one YEARS ago, but it was thin and super bendy.... it developed a really ragged edge that would catch on strings... I need to go thicker...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by starmansam

View Post

I was jamming with a copper pick today. they are not to be knocked until they are tried. the attack is very unique. sharp and percussive.

I had one YEARS ago, but it was thin and super bendy.... it developed a really ragged edge that would catch on strings... I need to go thicker...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jw10

View Post

dunlop-picks-tortex-i9.jpg

Gotta use the blue ones. Only ones that feel right.

although I do wear em out quick

This is all I use as well. I used to use the orange ones but switched to the blue because I wanted a thicker pick. I've never had problems with these wearing out or anything but I'm not playing shows and stuff. Just at my house and at church occasionally.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jw10

View Post

dunlop-picks-tortex-i9.jpg

Gotta use the blue ones. Only ones that feel right.

although I do wear em out quick

This is all I use as well. I used to use the orange ones but switched to the blue because I wanted a thicker pick. I've never had problems with these wearing out or anything but I'm not playing shows and stuff. Just at my house and at church occasionally.

Archived