anyone ever make you want to quit playing?

Y0UNGBL00D

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think we all hit that speed bump at one time or another. For me it was the kid who plays two Ibanez things at the same time and does two different parts, most famous for the Mario theme. I saw that and thought "I don't think I could ever do that" but then you move on.

You just gotta focus on your own {censored}. Realize everyone has their strong and weak points. There are people who can shred Eruption in their sleep but just can't keep a 4:4 time sig to save their life. idn_smilie.gif I have a good friend who can fly through the Crazy Train solo, and it sounds like the record. Perfection. Then, when he plays a Sloppy Seconds or Ramones song... it sound wonky as {censored}.

Another thing that's comforting is if people you trust are telling you you sound good when playing with your band, because that's what counts. Personally, the shreddy type stuff absolutely eludes me. Partially because it's hard, and partially because almost nothing I listen to features it, so my interest in it is minimal. Other guitarist in one of my bands is really into 80s type metal. He was actually in the only ever licensed Poison tribute band. However, one of our songs features a reggae bridge/breakdown. Normally I play most "after the second chorus, official solos" but he doesn't use pedals and I had a cool phaser/delay.clean tone goin on so he took the solo. It was just B B E D in the reggae equivalent of 4:4. He was having trouble making up a lead part because that's just not what he's used to. I showed him some basic ass pentatonic stuff and he was kinda "mind=blown" because he's always had a really technical focus.

It's all about what your focus is. We all have different skill sets, etc... doesn't always indicate super(or infer)iority.

Heh, that and we guitarists have fragile egos. Mine is like a giant glass skyscraper. Bigger than it should be, but one asshole with a rock could ruin everything.

• Members

I think we all hit that speed bump at one time or another. For me it was the kid who plays two Ibanez things at the same time and does two different parts, most famous for the Mario theme. I saw that and thought "I don't think I could ever do that" but then you move on.

You just gotta focus on your own {censored}. Realize everyone has their strong and weak points. There are people who can shred Eruption in their sleep but just can't keep a 4:4 time sig to save their life. idn_smilie.gif I have a good friend who can fly through the Crazy Train solo, and it sounds like the record. Perfection. Then, when he plays a Sloppy Seconds or Ramones song... it sound wonky as {censored}.

Another thing that's comforting is if people you trust are telling you you sound good when playing with your band, because that's what counts. Personally, the shreddy type stuff absolutely eludes me. Partially because it's hard, and partially because almost nothing I listen to features it, so my interest in it is minimal. Other guitarist in one of my bands is really into 80s type metal. He was actually in the only ever licensed Poison tribute band. However, one of our songs features a reggae bridge/breakdown. Normally I play most "after the second chorus, official solos" but he doesn't use pedals and I had a cool phaser/delay.clean tone goin on so he took the solo. It was just B B E D in the reggae equivalent of 4:4. He was having trouble making up a lead part because that's just not what he's used to. I showed him some basic ass pentatonic stuff and he was kinda "mind=blown" because he's always had a really technical focus.

It's all about what your focus is. We all have different skill sets, etc... doesn't always indicate super(or infer)iority.

Heh, that and we guitarists have fragile egos. Mine is like a giant glass skyscraper. Bigger than it should be, but one asshole with a rock could ruin everything.

• Members

I think a lot of it has to do with the role music plays in your life. Is it a competitive venture? Is it a way to share with others?

Music can be very competitive when you look at it from the level of business: artists become investments, little though they may like being seen as such. But music has a beautiful role in culture, as something far more than a business opportunity. Really, it is one of the true voices of the soul, human and otherwise.

Bless Riffie - it's the muse that really matters. I am one of the very worst guitarists I know, technically, yet the music in my head is beautiful, at least to me and those who kindly play along.

I don't give up because I can't play. I learn from those who are better, I ask questions. And most importantly, permit myself to simply enjoy how good they are from a listener's POV rather than an envious hack.

Listening to people who are better than me (i.e., everyone) simply .... makes me love music.

• Members

I think a lot of it has to do with the role music plays in your life. Is it a competitive venture? Is it a way to share with others?

Music can be very competitive when you look at it from the level of business: artists become investments, little though they may like being seen as such. But music has a beautiful role in culture, as something far more than a business opportunity. Really, it is one of the true voices of the soul, human and otherwise.

Bless Riffie - it's the muse that really matters. I am one of the very worst guitarists I know, technically, yet the music in my head is beautiful, at least to me and those who kindly play along.

I don't give up because I can't play. I learn from those who are better, I ask questions. And most importantly, permit myself to simply enjoy how good they are from a listener's POV rather than an envious hack.

Listening to people who are better than me (i.e., everyone) simply .... makes me love music.

• Members

I hear ya. It definitely gives me more drive to practice when it happens. If it's a guy like Mike Stern or John Scofield, then yea, I'm happily discouraged. If I'm having a {censored}ty day and a local jam buddy/band member I'm jamming with is really being super talented, I can find it irking me some. I'm a nerd and don't compete ever. I don't think I am that great at dealing with that side of things. Competition. I always get pissed when I see it in my competitive friends and when it happens in me I get upset. I feel like if competition is your main motivation for practice you should play basketball or some {censored}.

EDIT: Changed the word "and" to "at"

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

Quite the opposite for me - whenever I see or jam with somebody really good it inspires me to pick up my guitar and try to learn more.

It ain't a competition for me.

• Members

I hear ya. It definitely gives me more drive to practice when it happens. If it's a guy like Mike Stern or John Scofield, then yea, I'm happily discouraged. If I'm having a {censored}ty day and a local jam buddy/band member I'm jamming with is really being super talented, I can find it irking me some. I'm a nerd and don't compete ever. I don't think I am that great at dealing with that side of things. Competition. I always get pissed when I see it in my competitive friends and when it happens in me I get upset. I feel like if competition is your main motivation for practice you should play basketball or some {censored}.

EDIT: Changed the word "and" to "at"

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

Quite the opposite for me - whenever I see or jam with somebody really good it inspires me to pick up my guitar and try to learn more.

It ain't a competition for me.

• Members

Can't be arsed worrying about other guitarists anymore. It used to bother me, now I just sit back and admire - there's always someone better. The best guitarist I ever met didn't even make it as a professional musician, and this guy could play everything from ragtime on an acoustic to Randy Rhoads on the electric. If anything I learn from others - or steal a bit like a magpie when something new and shiny comes along.

wink.gif

• Members

Can't be arsed worrying about other guitarists anymore. It used to bother me, now I just sit back and admire - there's always someone better. The best guitarist I ever met didn't even make it as a professional musician, and this guy could play everything from ragtime on an acoustic to Randy Rhoads on the electric. If anything I learn from others - or steal a bit like a magpie when something new and shiny comes along.

wink.gif

• Members

I'm not impressed by technical ability as an end unto itself. Songs are what counts to me. When I'm Guitar Center there are 12 year kids playing that can shred faster than me. Whatever. I view music as a vehicle for self expression and conveying emotion not going weedly-weedly-woo super fast.

• Members

I'm not impressed by technical ability as an end unto itself. Songs are what counts to me. When I'm Guitar Center there are 12 year kids playing that can shred faster than me. Whatever. I view music as a vehicle for self expression and conveying emotion not going weedly-weedly-woo super fast.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tronus

View Post

I hear ya. It definitely gives me more drive to practice when it happens. If it's a guy like Mike Stern or John Scofield, then yea, I'm happily discouraged. If I'm having a {censored}ty day and a local jam buddy/band member I'm jamming with is really being super talented, I can find it irking me some. I'm a nerd and don't compete ever. I don't think I am that great and dealing with that side of things. Competition. I always get pissed when I see it in my competitive friends and when it happens in me I get upset. I feel like if competition is your main motivation for practice you should play basketball or some {censored}.

Exactly. Well put!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tronus

View Post

I hear ya. It definitely gives me more drive to practice when it happens. If it's a guy like Mike Stern or John Scofield, then yea, I'm happily discouraged. If I'm having a {censored}ty day and a local jam buddy/band member I'm jamming with is really being super talented, I can find it irking me some. I'm a nerd and don't compete ever. I don't think I am that great and dealing with that side of things. Competition. I always get pissed when I see it in my competitive friends and when it happens in me I get upset. I feel like if competition is your main motivation for practice you should play basketball or some {censored}.

Exactly. Well put!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Danhedonia

View Post

this post is full of win.

also surprisingly coherent.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Danhedonia

View Post

this post is full of win.

also surprisingly coherent.

Archived