NHL lovers, help me

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by WeStartToDrift

View Post

It has been painful being a fan of the Hurricanes the past few seasons... I'm in the same boat, I went and watched a roller-hockey game down in Dunedin but it was pitiful...

carolina_hurricanes_2000_symbol.gif

I have worn my Hurricanes hat nearly every day since August (I work in a resturaunt and wear a hat every day that I work) and I will keep wearing it until I can watch my CANES again!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by LuckisforLosers

View Post

Dude, Atlanta doesn't have a team anymore. They're the Winnipeg Jets. Nashville is making money, as is Ottawa. Tampa is not.

So cut Pheonix, Columbus, Tampa Bay, Calgary, St. Louis, Ny Islanders and move the Panthers to Seattle.

That's how much I watch the NHL. Didn't know atlanta became the jets.

I think you don't really know who is making money though in the league.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations...on:asc_search:

Nashville is 25th overall while tampa is 23 (yeah that's nitpicking, but still). Ottawa is making money now, but had problems in the past with it. Let's replace atlanta with columbus. Lets take ottawa off and add st louis. Better?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LuckisforLosers

View Post

They should cut the league to 24 teams (goodbye Pheonix, Columbus, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Carolina, and Winnipeg), but the PA would never go for it. Too many jobs would be lost.

Why would they cut a team that has guaranteed sold out attendance for the next five years? They sold every available season ticket for the next in 17 minutes, the waitlist is capped at 8000. I agree they should contract the league a bit, maybe cut Columbus, St Louis, NY Islanders and Phoenix and move Florida to Seattle as a start.

• Members

This is why the NHL won't downsize, because no matter how bad a team does financially there will be fans screaming bloody murder. I'd hate to see the blues go, but seriously too many players, not enough money. Salary caps aren't the answer, just means more money for stars, less money for bread and butter players. Less teams is an obvious answer, but who is going to cut who?

I'm sure that forbes data isn't exactly spot on, but I don't think it's far from what the actual numbers are.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pelliott

View Post

Nashville's fan base is excellent, for reference, and Forbes sorta has a habit of doing fuzzy math when coming up with those pro franchise lists.

FWIW I recall reading that the Panther's used fuzzy math to make it seem like their team was losing money. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the teams that people think are doing bad are actually using "Hollywood accounting" to make it seem like they're losing money to get out of paying taxes and such.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reaganomics!

View Post

FWIW I recall reading that the Panther's used fuzzy math to make it seem like their team was losing money. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the teams that people think are doing bad are actually using "Hollywood accounting" to make it seem like they're losing money to get out of paying taxes and such.

Most pro owners are {censored}ing {censored}bags. See: Sterling, Donald & Brothers, Maloof

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jisatsu

View Post

This is why the NHL won't downsize, because no matter how bad a team does financially there will be fans screaming bloody murder. I'd hate to see the blues go, but seriously too many players, not enough money. Salary caps aren't the answer, just means more money for stars, less money for bread and butter players. Less teams is an obvious answer, but who is going to cut who?

I'm sure that forbes data isn't exactly spot on, but I don't think it's far from what the actual numbers are.

There's gotta be a few cities that it'd be easy to contract... Would Columbus really give a {censored} considering how it's a college town?

LA wouldn't really give a {censored}, they'd be all "oh well, better do another line off of this stripper's tits and go sit courtside at the Lakers game"

douche.gif

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/...2/sort/homePct -- this is something to take into consideration, not of overall fandom, but local draw?

• Members

It appears as though we've reached a consensus on Pheonix, Columbus, and at least one of the Florida teams.

I would hate to see St. Louis go (and even Calgary to a lesser extent) but if you want to make an omelet you gotta break some eggs.

Of course, none of this is actually going to happen. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HopeStreet

View Post

well there's a good chance pheonix is going in the next few years...

City of Glendale is gonna be pissed they got tricked into building that nice arena for nothing...

This is the part that never gets talked about. I've been to the Coyotes arena complex - it's like {censored}ing Disneyland. Movie theaters, restaurants, shops, bars. All built around the centerpiece that is their arena. Out in the middle of nowhere, literally. There is too much money involved now for them to leave or fold up entirely.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

City of Glendale is gonna be pissed they got tricked into building that nice arena for nothing...

This is the part that never gets talked about. I've been to the Coyotes arena complex - it's like {censored}ing Disneyland. Movie theaters, restaurants, shops, bars. All built around the centerpiece that is their arena. Out in the middle of nowhere, literally. There is too much money involved now for them to leave or fold up entirely.

They'll have to understand that now it's just a killer venue for Shrek's Christmas On Ice.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jisatsu

View Post

And a big {censored}ing LOL at watching WHL hockey like its any good.

+1

View Post

Funniest thing in this thread.

Now its not

33kxgcx.jpg

View Post

The NHL can suck a dick. I've been screwed over by that league for the last time.

What exactly has been done to you personally by the NHL to screw you over? I'm a season ticket holder and don't feel that way. Disappointed, sure, but life goes on.

• Members

Oh {censored} here we go

View Post

They also did a bunch of charity raffle stuff and handed out academic achievement awards to the players who maintained high GPAs for the semester.

1. Those players should feel patronized

2. College really isn't all that hard

3. Who gives a {censored}? Fans go to see hockey not spectate some role-model circlejerk bull{censored}.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reaganomics!

View Post

Yeah, there's really no benefit in coming out and saying "HEY WE'RE MAKING A {censored}LOAD OF MONEY"

It's always better to cry poor. The Hawks owner Rocky Wirtz was still crying poor even after 2010 when they won the cup. icon_lol.gif A full successful run to the Stanley Cup + a full season of 41, 21,000+ seat sell outs. Oh, and Rocky owns the building. And the parking.

And he distributes the booze that is sold in the building.

And the Blackhawks aren't turning him a profit icon_lol.gif

Archived