NHL lovers, help me

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Zappa74

View Post

Just wait til realignment occurs and they add 2 more teams icon_lol.gif

Obviously less teams would be better. 24 or even 20 teams would be about perfect. The quality level would go up, teams would all be financially healthy, etc. BUT, for all the {censored} Bettman gets for over expanding the league, particularly into regions that refuse to properly support an NHL franchise- his plan has sorta worked. Just look at the world juniors for proof. USA hockey is better than ever. More and more kids all over the country are playing hockey and growing up to be professional hockey players.

Bettman's goal to expand hockey in America is certainly not the best thing for the NHL, but for hockey in general (in America)- you can't deny that it's been a good thing. He has helped grow the game of hockey in America.

oh man, please don't give that {censored}head any credit for US hockey. US hockey has always been good and the steady growth it's had has been a natural peocess.

Bettman is nothing more than a pitbull for the owners and he's done nothing but ruin the game by forcing it into markets that couldn't care less, while ignoring and giving the middle finger to Canadians.

he is so hated here it's amazing he's crosses the boarder.

• Members

View Post

Yeah, I guess you don't like hockey as much as I do.

I love hockey, like i said i went to a game last night. i just won't support a league that has zero respect for its fans.

I'm going to the HHOF this summer and waited 3 hours in the hot sun for the chance to see the Cup in person with my kid two years ago. I was and am a fan...

• Members

So you're going to deprive yourself of ever watching Pavel Datsyuk again because the people in charge didn't negotiate their $3 billion business the way you like.

A bunch of businessmen took away 34 regular season games from you and that's enough to make you never watch the best hockey in the world ever again.

By the way, it is a business. A $3 billion dollar business. Of course it's all about money icon_lol.gif I understand that Catalinbread just builds pedals for themselves and doesn't care if they make money or not, but not everyone in the world is that cool.

• Members

Yeah that's it in a nutshell.

Look - all of pro sports is like this and I'm not naive enough to think otherwise. I'm just sick and tired of everything being about the money and it's ruined it for me to the point that I don't give a {censored} about it anymore. I'll give my money to the kids whose hearts are still in it. The pros and the people who run the league obviously have no regard for the people who actually make it possible for them to be millionaires. I'm not going to support that attitude any longer.

• Members

View Post

So you're going to deprive yourself of ever watching Pavel Datsyuk again because the people in charge didn't negotiate their $3 billion business the way you like.

A bunch of businessmen took away 34 regular season games from you and that's enough to make you never watch the best hockey in the world ever again.

By the way, it is a business. A $3 billion dollar business. Of course it's all about money icon_lol.gif I understand that Catalinbread just builds pedals for themselves and doesn't care if they make money or not, but not everyone in the world is that cool.

It took me about 15 minutes of pretending to be pissed about the NFL lockout and the NBA lockouts, respectively, before I realized I was going to eat that {censored} up anyway and hockey's not really gonna be any different. But everyone SAYS it's for the fans! So it's totally all about us, you guys.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pelliott

View Post

It took me about 15 minutes of pretending to be pissed about the NFL lockout and the NBA lockouts, respectively, before I realized I was going to eat that {censored} up anyway and hockey's not really gonna be any different. But everyone SAYS it's for the fans! So it's totally all about us, you guys.

I was really upset with this NHL lockout just because absolutely everybody knew exactly how it would end before it ever started.

-50/50 revenue split with some sort of step down (deferred payments/escrow) so contracts would be honored.

-Contractual limits that would eliminate salary cap circumvention

-Increase revenue sharing to support the bottom 10 teams

That's really it and it all played out as expected. I was pissed at the league because the ridiculous, shady contracts they wrote were a primary cause of the lockout. I was pissed at the union for letting the lockout go so long while players just kept losing money they'd never get back all while seriously damaging the league's image with fans.

In the end, I think the players got a very favorable deal... something that was only accomplished by waiting. There was never any chance the owners would scrap an entire season. Everyone knew it and that was all the pressure the union needed to get such a good deal.

It sucked, but whatever. The amount of joy I get from watching the NHL far outweighs a few {censored}ty months without it. That said, I don't think I'll be shelling out any cash to go see the Hawks in person for a while.

• Members

While I despise Gary bettman, you cant put all he blame on him. The NHLPA isn't innocent either. I agree with down sizing the league. The talent pool isn't as thick in the NHL any more. The amount of bankrupt teams is reason enough to cut a few. I know it sounds weird but if they started to lower ticket prices in some places people would probably go to games more often.

And a big {censored}ing LOL at watching WHL hockey like its any good. Yeah I regularly enjoy watching 15-20 year olds play over actual professionals. And to say those kids actually want to play and aren't about money or contracts is an even bigger Joke. Half those kids are trying to get into the NHL one dump and chase play at a time.

If they cut 10 teams from the NHL and made a healthy minor league with all the barely able hacks that plague pro hockey right now I think everyone would be a bit happier.

End of rant. {censored} the NHL but I for one can't wait to watch those greedy {censored}s play.

• Members

Yeah, the players have and will continue to make out like bandits. Talent will always get paid.

Contracting 6 teams or so would probably solve a ton of problems and definitely make the quality of play even better. It would be great. But neither the league or the players union want that. Sucks.

• Members

Bettman and the 5 or 6 owners, none of which were the owners of my favorite team, that commandeered the whole process are dicks. I'd love to make some kind of point to them, but I am not a TV station or an Advertiser so they would never notice. I'm not going to deprive myself of the privilege of seeing Crosby, Malkin and Letang in their primes because the owner of the Boston Bruins was an asshole.

Hopefully this process was enough of a cluster{censored} that Bettman gets {censored}-canned, and it sours whatever billionaire media magnets that have barely heard of hockey from buying a team as their multi-million dollar vanity hobby. Unfortunately, I don't think anything changes unless the owners agree to get an even bigger asshole commissioner to try to destroy hockey in 8-10 years when this contract is up and we lose enough half/whole season in this fight. Such are the sorrows and joys of being a peon consumer of a niche product.

• Members

View Post

Yeah, the players have and will continue to make out like bandits. Talent will always get paid.

Contracting 6 teams or so would probably solve a ton of problems and definitely make the quality of play even better. It would be great. But neither the league or the players union want that. Sucks.

Problem is, most of the bankrupt teams are popular teams that struggle to get fans to show up to games. Ticket prices aren't helping either. No one wants to cut the popular teams that aren't making money in the league because that will kill even more fans. If you made those teams into minor league teams, rearranged the player base, those fans would keep their team, have lower ticket prices, and would still be able to see higher level hockey. But to hear people saying that watching JUNIOR HOCKEY is better than pro hockey makes me laugh like crazy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jisatsu

View Post

Yeah I love watching dump n chase hockey for an hour and a half while drinking $8 beers.

That was kinda my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Reauchambeau

View Post

is/should Seattle goin to get a team? be a great PNW rivalry with the Cansucks

Seattle always gets mentioned as the next US destination. Get an NBA team to share the building with... makes sense to me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasWilliam

View Post

Hey. I am a massive Ice Hockey fan, but in New Zealand they do not play any games on tv. My love for the game is mostly limited to NHL games on playstation.

Are there any sites that upload replays of games? I just want to watch any game, i don't care who or when, just want to watch!

Just go to youtube and search for a team with 'long' added to get more specific results. Example: montreal canadiens, long. You'll get a list of videos all over 20 mins. You'll have to sift through all the stupid video game {censored} people post but it's the easiest way to do it on youtube.

a couple searches here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.zAOYoiwtC6I

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....1.oUj4EZxlm68

http://www.youtube.com/user/BeHappyE...deos?query=nhl

Hope this helps. wave.gif

• Members

Right now hockey doesn't have the depth in terms of talent to support 30 teams so the league is full of goons and idiots masquerading as hockey players. Injuries go up and the quality of play plummets. The NHL isn't putting out a quality product, average sports fans don't find hockey interesting and everybody loses money. That is probably going to be the lasting legacy of Gary Bettman's reign as commisioner. They should cut the league to 24 teams (goodbye Pheonix, Columbus, Tampa Bay, Buffalo, Carolina, and Winnipeg), but the PA would never go for it. Too many jobs would be lost. I'm still going to support it all because I love hockey, but it's no wonder that the NHL is so unpopular.

• Members

Cut carolina, nashville, one of the florida teams (probably not tampa, they at least make money), phoenix, atlanta, and maybe ottawa, and I'd be happy. Cut a few teams from the AHL, add those teams to the teams I listed and have a west coast minor league, and I bet you money that oregon washington california and BC would throw money at them like no tomorrow. Make the seats $20-30 bucks a pop and you'll have plenty of sold out games.

As far as Seattle getting a team, I'd love it, but I don't want to drive to {censored}ing SoHo just to watch a hockey game and spend $75+ a ticket just to see a losing team. Would be an awesome vancouver rivalry and I'm sure my old man and I would have many arguments and bets out. Unfortunately I don't think the NHL needs more teams. Cut the fat, not add to it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jisatsu

View Post

Cut carolina, nashville, one of the florida teams (probably not tampa, they at least make money), phoenix, atlanta, and maybe ottawa, and I'd be happy. Cut a few teams from the AHL, add those teams to the teams I listed and have a west coast minor league, and I bet you money that oregon washington california and BC would throw money at them like no tomorrow. Make the seats $20-30 bucks a pop and you'll have plenty of sold out games.

As far as Seattle getting a team, I'd love it, but I don't want to drive to {censored}ing SoHo just to watch a hockey game and spend $75+ a ticket just to see a losing team. Would be an awesome vancouver rivalry and I'm sure my old man and I would have many arguments and bets out. Unfortunately I don't think the NHL needs more teams. Cut the fat, not add to it.

Dude, Atlanta doesn't have a team anymore. They're the Winnipeg Jets. Nashville is making money, as is Ottawa. Tampa is not.

So cut Pheonix, Columbus, Tampa Bay, Calgary, St. Louis, Ny Islanders and move the Panthers to Seattle.

Archived