The OFFICIAL Boss OD-3 Lounge

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

woah, hang on.....it has "flabby bass and the piercing highs"

do you really have to mod it for it to sound good or is that BS?
:confused:

nope mines completely stock and its awesome! Even makes my DA5 sound pretty damn good for a little practice amp.

Some people just dont like the bass response on it since their rig might already be base heavy. It does add some bass onto your sound but i wouldnt describe it as "flabby." It can have piercing highs but any od box can have piercing highs if you turn the tone knob all the way up:cop:

• Members

Spam with apologies - I have a Monte Allums Supra Plus (Brown Burr) OD3 that can relieve the stress of anyone who's begun salivating while reading the thread. Yours for $80. Fine little box, just not my thing.

Michael

• Members

nope mines completely stock and its awesome! Even makes my DA5 sound pretty damn good for a little practice amp.

Some people just dont like the bass response on it since their rig might already be base heavy. It does add some bass onto your sound but i wouldnt describe it as "flabby." It can have piercing highs but any od box can have piercing highs if you turn the tone knob all the way up:cop:

...that's good to know, just the usual crap from byteblock.

• Members

what do you want out of it? Like sound or functions?

A solid, stand-alone crunchy dirt that can do low to medium gain and sounds clear. The SD-1 just smears the notes and is too smoov sounding. Something that can be snarly and bitey. If that helps!

• Members

The issue is unlike TS type pedals this doesn't really suck out bass and push forward the mids, it's a nice overdrive that fattens up your sound a bit as well. A lot of people complain about the bass drop in a TS-- this has like a tad of bass added. It's not mistake that a lot of guys who love this thing use a bright clean/semi-dirty tone and then take that to heavy with the OD3 far more effectively than a TS.

• Members

woah, hang on.....it has "flabby bass and the piercing highs"

do you really have to mod it for it to sound good or is that BS?
:confused:

BS.

Yet to use a better OD. I like the bass response, as i use a Marshall Super Bass, whenever I kick on anything that cuts bass slightly, it's really obvious and every overdrive I've apart from the OD3 has been awfully thin.

'Flabby' bass does have alot to do with your choice of amp/speakers rather than the pedal. i used to use my OD3 (before i stupidly sold it on) with a tele on the neck PU into the marshall with bass on full, no issues :thu:

• Members

A solid, stand-alone crunchy dirt that can do low to medium gain and sounds
clear
. The SD-1 just smears the notes and is too smoov sounding. Something that can be snarly and bitey. If that helps!

The clarity on the od-3 is pretty excellent for the price, i mean mine cost me like $40. Its probably one of the more transpart Od's out there expect it adds a tad more bass like many have said.

I use all sorts of 6,9,11,13 chords and you can, from my stand point, clearly hear every note ring out. I mean ive been play through my Da5 (not a bad amp but you cant compare it to a good tube amp for sure) for about 2 months now, im sure when i get back to my Ac15 the OD3 will be god-like:love:.

• Members

Spam with apologies - I have a Monte Allums Supra Plus (Brown Burr) OD3 that can relieve the stress of anyone who's begun salivating while reading the thread. Yours for $80. Fine little box, just not my thing.

Michael

thats a good deal. the od3 is $90 new.

+1 on the clarity. the note definition and the dynamics are outstanding in this pedal.

like i said, its kinda weird that it gets overlooked so often. maybe because its a boss...

• Members

thats a good deal. the od3 is $90 new.

+1 on the clarity. the note definition and the dynamics are outstanding in this pedal.

like i said, its kinda weird that it gets overlooked so often. maybe because its a boss...

I've never seen it in any guitar shop, it's always SD-1's, DS-1's, Metal Zones and Blues Drivers, which is a terrible representation.

• Members

I have some nice OD's and the OD3 is right up there with some of the best. Like others have said, I don't understand why it doesn't get more attention. Some of Boss's literature states "The OD3 is the ultimate Boss overdrive unit, capable of producing the widest range of smooth overdrive tones with a dynamic response which surpasses any other overdrive pedal on the market. Based on a new dual-stage circuit, the OD3 sounds bigger and fuller than previous pedals."

I haven't heard the monte allum mods, but understand they sound pretty good. Still, because the OD3 sounds good on it's own, that would be a mod I would want to hear for myself before I did it.

• Members

I love it stock.

It was the the first pedal I got and I don't regret.

here's some looping stuff I did with the OD-3 on all the time.

not really a good demo of the OD-3 though:rolleyes:

[YOUTUBE]R103r1BAWcE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

what is your major malfunction dude? I was just stating what I experienced having used the pedal.

what exactly is the usual crap from byteblock anyways?

• Members

I have some nice OD's and the OD3 is right up there with some of the best. Like others have said, I don't understand why it doesn't get more attention. Some of Boss's literature states "The OD3 is the ultimate Boss overdrive unit, capable of producing the widest range of smooth overdrive tones with a dynamic response which surpasses any other overdrive pedal on the market. Based on a new dual-stage circuit, the OD3 sounds bigger and fuller than previous pedals."

I haven't heard the monte allum mods, but understand they sound pretty good. Still, because the OD3 sounds good on it's own, that would be a mod I would want to hear for myself before I did it.

Isn't the Monte Allums mod just a reduction in gain? I'm not sure I understand the point.

• Members

what is your major malfunction dude? I was just stating what I experienced having used the pedal.

what exactly is the usual crap from byteblock anyways?

I guess that sounded a bit harsh.....what I should have said is:

I very rarely agree with byteblocks's point of view. :)

Archived