Best use of ebow in a song

Luke m-s

• Members

An excellent article on the recording of 'Heroes': definitely no Ebow!

"Then I'd say the next thing that really moved the track along was Fripp's contribution. We already had Carlos's beautiful lines, like the bass line that was doubled on the guitar as well as the melodic part on the pre-chorus, and when Fripp came along about a week later he added a whole other dimension. He and Eno had already enjoyed a long partnership where Fripp would plug his guitar into the EMS Synthi and Brian would just play around with it, so Fripp did exactly that and he came up with that beautiful line which everyone thinks is an E-bow sound, but which is actually just Fripp standing in the right place with his volume up at the right level and getting feedback.

Everyone who's played the song with Bowie since then has had to use an E-bow to duplicate it, but Fripp had a technique in those days where he measured the distance between the guitar and the speaker where each note would feed back. For instance, an 'A' would feed back maybe at about four feet from the speaker, whereas a 'G' would feed back maybe three and a half feet from it. He had a strip that they would place on the floor, and when he was playing the note 'F' sharp he would stand on the strip's 'F' sharp point and 'F' sharp would feed back better. He really worked this out to a fine science, and we were playing this at a terrific level in the studio, too. It was very, very loud, and all the while he was playing these notes

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey, check out my version of I Am The Walrus where I do all the string parts on an Ebow.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1553760

I'm not claiming "best use of ebow in a song" but I am claiming it's MY best use of ebow in a song that I recorded.
:wave:

C'mon now! You can't go posting your cheesy eBow song without me posting MY cheesy eBow song! :D

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5135752&q=hi

• Members

in light of the whole ebow talk what do you guys think is the best use of ebow in a song???

I would say 'take you on a cruise' by interpol.

:thu:

Also:

"Soul In Isolation" and "I'll Remember" by the Chameleons

"Shadow Cabinet", "Constant In Opal", "Under the Milky Way" by the Church

• Members

An excellent article on the recording of 'Heroes': definitely no Ebow!

F*ck! Where were you when I posted the Bowie poll? http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1704150

"Heroes" is my favorite Bowie album, and that article only reinforces my preference.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

HMKRich wrote:

Delirious - Obsession

Thread over.

this is correct.

STU G, one of my favs, is great at using Ebow, Obsession, Find me in the river and Take off My Shoes

are all incredible.

Obsession single handedly started my Ebow fascination, i think i bought one the week i heard it for the first time.

Archived