Does this exist?

|||||

• Members

I'm terrible with music theory/chord names. Is there a place that tells me the name of the chord or equivalent if there is a capo on a fret?

ie. a G chord in standard tuning becomes ________ if you put a capo on the 2nd fret.

• Members

It becomes an A.
You don't need a website for that once you learn that every fret is a half step, so going to capo 2 brings you up two half steps, or a full step, so your G shape is going from G to G# (Capo on first fret) to A.

If I'm wrong that would be really embarrassing.

And Dm is the saddest of all keys. Fact. ;)

Here's the sequence guys, with the enharmonics (basically alternative names for the same notes) listed in parenthesis:

A

A# (or Bb)

B

C

C# (or Db)

D

D# (or Eb)

E

F

F# (or Gb)

G

G# (or Ab)

...and then back to A (an octave higher) and then the sequence continues on with the same pattern. If you start with the guitar in standard tuning, then put a capo at the second fret, everything is raised two half steps (or one whole step). That means if you're playing a "D chord shape", the notes will sound two half steps higher, making it an E that you're actually hearing. With the capo at the second fret, playing a "G shape" actually produces the sound of an A chord.

Once you know the note sequence (above), and the number of frets the capo is "moving the nut" up to, you can go to the name of the chord shape you're playing (on the list above) and count upwards the same number of frets that the capo is set to, and have the name of the actual note you're hearing. :)

Archived