Boss OD-3 Mods?

gambit

• Members

Just looking up some mods.. Keeley posted a few on the bossarea forum:

http://www.bossarea.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=635

"The first mod is to remove D6 and D7. You can put them on a switch to toggle this on and off but I think a quick listen will convince you that those can go. These two diodes give a very slight increase in distortion but when removed give you a much livelier and open sound. The reduced gain you'll have is so slight that I think it would only offend those that run this pedal gained to maximum".

Remove D6 & D7. seems simple enough.. anyone tried it?

OD-3_in_2.jpg

• Members

I did this and ended up changing it back. I also did the Monte Allums mod and ended up buying another od-3 because I liked it better stock.

I recorded clips of the before and after of the keeley mod.

Here's a stock OD-3

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4242856

and here's with the two diodes removed.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4242883

• Members

I did this and ended up changing it back. I also did the Monte Allums mod and ended up buying another od-3 because I liked it better stock.

Here's a stock OD-3

Were those both through the same guitar, same amp, same pedal settings? Without the exact same riff/ progression played through the two comparisons it's somewhat difficult to tell, but the second one sounds a bit cleaner, like there's a sub layer of low end distortion missing.

• Members

Were those both through the same guitar, same amp, same pedal settings? Without the exact same riff/ progression played through the two comparisons it's somewhat difficult to tell, but the second one sounds a bit cleaner, like there's a sub layer of low end distortion missing.

Yeah only thing different was the riff. It's a strat with kinman woodstock pickups into a 72 twin reverb.

• Members

Here's a stock OD-3

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4242856

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4242883

awesome, thanks for posting those. the mod definitely makes it more transparent/cleaner-sounding. is the last part with the gain cranked? it sounds like there's a significant loss of gain, which i wouldn't have expected from reading Keeley's guide.

did you notice any difference in where you have to set the tone after the mod? does it dull or brighten the sound compared to stock?

does removing only one of the parts change anything? maybe an inbetween mod? :idk:

• Members

Yeah the gain is maxed at the end. I don't think the tone was really affected at all, it mostly just sounded like more of the clean guitar came through to me. I didn't try any in-between mods.

awesome, thanks for posting those. the mod definitely makes it more transparent/cleaner-sounding. is the last part with the gain cranked? it sounds like there's a significant loss of gain, which i wouldn't have expected from reading Keeley's guide.

did you notice any difference in where you have to set the tone after the mod? does it dull or brighten the sound compared to stock?

does removing only one of the parts change anything? maybe an inbetween mod?
:idk:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

So i did the D6/D7 mod on my OD-3.

the extreme's of clean and cranked gain are VERY nice, open, unmuffled, 'transparent' :blah::blah::blah:

but... :facepalm:

with a standard overdrive setting, when you leave a chord hanging and the volume fades out you can hear the gain trying to clamp onto the fading signal and sputtering as it does it. i'm pretty sure this doesn't happen with a stock pedal.

so i guess i'm either going to try and fully restore it, or maybe try putting just one of the components back in and see if that works.

guys - any idea what exactly D6 and D7 are doing?

maybe i can have an educated guess at which to try first :poke:

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hey man, I tried this mod, it sounds terrible, what a CRAPPY mode, it sounds like ghost fuzz notes, wow thats bad, I cant beleive this one, transparent! Yeah right, sounds like a hole in the speaker
:facepalm:
\nSo pissed

Too bad you didn't see this thread 2 years earlier. I recall this thread, as there used to be a lot of OD-3 love on this board (not much lately) and most everyone mentioned the mods made it worse, and that stock is the best way to go with this pedal.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I use to think the OD3 was the greatest OD ever made (and you don't try to change something that works), but then I heard a Klon, and from then on I had nothing left to loose with regards to my OD3. So I went ahead and ripped out D6 and D7. To compare the sounds, I recorded a guitar part during a session, (and I can't share it with you, before you ask and rightly so.)  and had the D.I. track of the guitar passing through the Radial re-amper, OD3, to a Fender Twin. I was able to send the exact same guitar part with the same settings on everything to compare the result in a studio with and without the mods. Very scientific...;)  So it seems that I don't have a funny ghost distortion or any problems of that sort, and definitly the overall volume went up quite a bit, at least in perception.  (Meters also shows me a 3-4 db increase in output volume).  I just took out D6 first, and was pretty happy with the mod. Took out D7 too and that makes less of a change. Comparing my recordings (stock vs. mod), its clear to me this mods works, and it totally revived my love for the pedal.  Less compression, less gain, less mud, sweeter hi frequencies. Its rounder, yet it still bites like a marshall. I think I also have a better noise-floor too, but I'm not sure. Its dead quiet now.  I'm going to keep it modded cause its way more fun to use this way.  Its now a versatile boost-gain pedal, that doesn't mess with the guitar tone. I play a low output Strat. Winner mod for me.  Works even better in my Epiphone Valve Jr.

Archived