Whats your favorite Nirvana song?

jcn37203

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

Yup they go back to 1983 Creatures ... you have to check out Nina Hagen - Nunsexmonkrock ... that will blow your mind for where it's at in 1982. Nina was and is incredible. The guitar work of Geordie from Killing Joke is without peer ... the guys in my top three are ...

John Mcgeoch - Banshees/Magazine

Daniel Ash - Bauhaus/Tones on Tail

Geordie - Killing Joke/Damage Manual

man... in the first half of the 80s all you had to do was scratch the surface to find really original stuff. I mean even stuff that was considered disposable crap like cyndi lauper kicked more ass than its modern day pop counterpart (if it had one)

prince is another good example... i think it is funny that at the time everyone over 15 seemed to hate him, but now everyone loves him... probably the greatest pop musician alive.

I still think that if you had a better understanding of what was going on in the northwest underground at the time you would understand just how genuine nirvana was.

i still think punk was over by the time it got popular... you had suburbanite kids with mohawks... Even with in the band the clash werent sure how much commodity/artists they want to be. its basically what broke them up.

all that stuff really paved the way for depeche mode, duran duran, the cure, U2, and a lot of other iconic 80's bands with some real underground roots.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

man... in the first half of the 80s all you had to do was scratch the surface to find really original stuff. I mean even stuff that was considered disposable crap like cyndi lauper kicked more ass than its modern day pop counterpart (if it had one)

Exactly ... I mentioned Gary Numan but I also mentioned Tubeway Army which was Gary Numan before Gary Numan! Man if you don't check that out and dig it there's something wrong because it will give you an entirely new apreciation of what he was doing and where he was going. It was Gary Numan that started the huge wave of Synth pop New Wave like Ultravox and Duran Duran ... don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Early hip hop DJ's in the states like Afrika Bambaata were spinning CARS in 81 in the states and it was bending peoples heads back then. Those early Hip Hop artists all openly admit to sampling Gary Numans hip as {censored} music!

Believe me, I am fully aware of all the permutations of the music in that era and where it came from and where it went and was going. Just check out Tubeway Army sometime. I am not saying Nirvana were not genuine, yet again refer to everything I have said all along ... it was what they mean't in the bigger scheme ... their meaning culturally and socially.

I also totally agree that Punk was over the minute it was defined by the media and interpretted into Kings rd Mohawk postcards ... Sid was a joke also ... a total cartoon character. But the initial putsch of Punk was doing other great things and the underground was still huge at that time and well beyond the scope of the Spectacle to grasp entirely at that time ... all that ended with Grunge.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I saw a great many of Nirvana's live sets; here's what sounded great live:

* Serve the Servants
* Negative Creep
* All Apologies
* Come As You Are
* Numb
* Dive
* Do You Love Me (Kiss cover)
* Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam (Vaselines cover)
* In Bloom
* Love Buzz (Shocking Blue cover)
* About A Girl
* Territorial Pissings
... actually, they were a terrific, terrific live show.  The Pat Smear version of the band is one of my top-5 live bands of all time (at one point did the math, have seen somewhere between 7,000 and 12,000 bands play live). 

Wondering if most of the younger fans realize that two of their more-popular songs ("Sunbeam" and "Molly's Lips") are Vaselines songs?  There's a great band.  "Dying For It" and "You Think You're A Man" are worth finding on Spotify - but the wonderful track "Rory Rides Me Raw" is a must-hear.  It's about a motorbike ... right?

Archived