Whats your favorite Nirvana song?

jcn37203

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Just out of curiosity, what are a few of your fave bands/musicians?

Well that's a broad question that would require a broad answer ... I have my finger in the pie of lots of genre's. Largely I like the bands that Nirvana was ripping off from the prior period in the late 70's and 80's. It would be a long list but here's a few ...

Bauhaus

Killing Joke

Japan

Magazine

The Stranglers

The Fall

Echo & the Bunnymen

Joy Division

Gen X

Tubeway Army

Birthday Party

Swans

Icicle Works

Silver Apples

Pixies

PIL

Kraut

The Clash

The Damned

The Cramps

B52's

Nina Hagen Band

Air

Dust Brothers

Siouxsie & the Banshees

45 Grave

Crass

Dead Kennedys

Vandals

TSOL

Fear

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Radiators

Midnight Oil

Failure

The Church

Icehouse

Buzzcocks

Stooges

Sex Pistols

Billy Idol

Janes Addiction

John Spencer

Tangerine Dream

Neu

Can

Devo

Tubeway Army

Gary Numan

Tones on Tail

Stray Cats

Frank Black

Prince

Jah Wobble

Armoury Show

Damage Manual

I could go on and thats really only contemporary stuff of my generation.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's sort of a weird thing about Nirvana.

Especially if you were old enough to be a music snob when they were big.

As a rule, music snobs shun the mainstream as sell out crap, and seek the obscure, under the impression that the true talent is incomprehensible by the masses, and thus exists only in the shadows.

So I remember the way Nirvana was slammed by the music snobs of the day, meanwhile more obscure bands of the time were held up to the light as superior.

Dinosaur Junior, I remember, being one of them. I remember a lot of people telling me that DJ was so much better than Nirvana. Though I never really got in to Dino that much, I just sort of accepted that it was the opinion of those who were "in the know" or whatever.

But now, over a decade later, it seems obvious that with Nirvana, the mainstream actually got it right for a change.

And with disasterous results.

I have discussed my reasons for not liking Nirvana on various threads here recently and in the past ... to me it's not musical snobbery or plain old elitism but rather a question of perspective. I just happened to live a musical life way before Nirvana and saw them for what they were ... a medium by which the Spectacle could appropriate the underground for the masses ... they were the Monkeys of the 90's ... not to mention the shameless ripping off of songs like 80's by Killing Joke who were a fave band of mine right through the 80's. It seemed hilarious to me that people thought they were doing anything new. I found them pretty purile to put it mildly.

So maybe it really is better for everyone involved if the artists stay out of the spotlight.

Hence the saying ... silence is golden.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

I have discussed my reasons for not liking Nirvana on various threads here recently and in the past ... to me it's not musical snobbery or plain old elitism but rather a question of perspective. I just happened to live a musical life way before Nirvana as saw them for what they were ... a medium by which the Spectacle could appropriate the underground for the masses ... they were the Monkeys of the 90's ... not to mention the shameless ripping off of songs like 80's by Killing Joke who were a fave band of mine right through the 80's. It seemed hilarious to me that people thought they were doing anything new. I found them pretty purile to put it mildly.

Hence the saying ... silence is golden.

Which begs the question, who was Killing Joke ripping off?

It all goes back to a caveman beating a log with a rock.

• Members

Which begs the question, who was Killing Joke ripping off?

It all goes back to a caveman beating a log with a rock.

I don't think in Killing Jokes case it does ... they are fairly well recognised as being the progenitors of the Industrial scene and they sure as hell didn't sound like anybody else in 79,80,81 and on ...

The problem is blatant ripping off ... Come as your are is just a total rip off of 80's. All of a sudden a generation of morons arrived pontificating that Nirvana were the answer to rocks salvation and they were bringing things to the table that had never come before. My reaction to the band and those sentiments is merely symptomatic of the stupidity of those attitudes.

Yeah ok ...

They were the Monkeys metaphorically speaking, not literally .... sheesh.

• Members

So, is Cobain our Hendrix?

By 'our', I mean the twenty and early thirty-somethings.

Will his legend grow over time until he is deified, deservingly or not?

not for me, but in all fairness hendrix wouldn't have been my hendrix either.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

not for me, but in all fairness hendrix wouldn't have been my hendrix either.

hendrix and django reinhardt are my hendrixes. but im not even 19 yet.

anyway, im not a huge nirvana fan, in fact i shunned them for quite a while, but recently ive been getting back into the nirvana groove. ill go with:

in bloom (is that the "he's the one who likes all our pretty songs" one?)

something in the way

territorial pissings

• Members

I don't think in Killing Jokes case it does

Of course not, they're your favorite band, thats how the objective/subjective thing works.

Zepplin didn't sound anything like delta bluesmen, but they ripped them off more blatantly, or at least as blatantly as any other musical ripoff in history.

You don't have to be a pioneer to be great. If the concept of musical pioneer is even possible.

The problem with music snobs (and I don't mean that as an insult, I think we're all probably music snobs here, its just hard to find another term that isn't snobbish itself) is that they tend to think they have an inside lane to objective reality about music.

Celine Dion sucks ass, this is scientific fact and irrefutable... in our minds. But I wonder how many times she is played at weddings, funerals, or as dedications in moments that are very important to people. I'd say touching so many people is quite an accomplishment, even if many of her contemporaries see it as overly sentimental crap.

That's art, essentially. One man's Monet is another man's Bob Ross.

• Members
Originally posted by Montag

hendrix and django reinhardt are my hendrixes. but im not even 19 yet.

anyway, im not a huge nirvana fan, in fact i shunned them for quite a while, but recently ive been getting back into the nirvana groove. ill go with:

in bloom (is that the "he's the one who likes all our pretty songs" one?)

something in the way

territorial pissings

Hmmm, so you like the Nevermind album then, eh?

:)

• Members

Hmmm, so you like the Nevermind album then, eh?

:)

i guess so, that's the only one i ever owned when i was fourteen. well, that and the acoustic one.

i should pull that out and listen to it again, ive been giving nirvana a hard time for a while, but i just cant stay grumpy forever.

• Members

Of course not, they're your favorite band, thats how the objective/subjective thing works.

Zepplin didn't sound anything like delta bluesmen, but they ripped them off more blatantly, or at least as blatantly as any other musical ripoff in history.

You don't have to be a pioneer to be great. If the concept of musical pioneer is even possible.

The problem with music snobs (and I don't mean that as an insult, I think we're all probably music snobs here, its just hard to find another term that isn't snobbish itself) is that they tend to think they have an inside lane to objective reality about music.

Celine Dion sucks ass, this is scientific fact and irrefutable... in our minds. But I wonder how many times she is played at weddings, funerals, or as dedications in moments that are very important to people. I'd say touching so many people is quite an accomplishment, even if many of her contemporaries see it as overly sentimental crap.

That's art, essentially. One man's Monet is another man's Bob Ross.

+100

I can listen to Coldplay and go "{censored} those {censored}ers sound like they're ripping off radiohead" and I said that {censored} one time and got my {censored}ing head torn off. I'm not going to sit back and argue with people that think there are no similarities, but the point is I'm not a coldplay fan either. Perhaps if I was more into their music I would hear all of the distinct differences.

We hear similarities first. Then we hear differences.

Originality and pioneership in music means absolute {censored} to me. Either I like the {censored} or I don't. In one sense there's no such thing as being a ripoff of anyone else. On the other hand there's no such thing as not being a ripoff.

I like making music. I don't have some sort of brilliant mind producing new combinations of frequencies and inventing new styles with every song. I just sound like the {censored} I like. If other people like it too...well hell that's the idea to me.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

+100

I can listen to Coldplay and go "{censored} those {censored}ers sound like they're ripping off radiohead" and I said that {censored} one time and got my {censored}ing head torn off. I'm not going to sit back and argue with people that think there are no similarities, but the point is I'm not a coldplay fan either. Perhaps if I was more into their music I would hear all of the distinct differences.

We hear similarities first. Then we hear differences.

Originality and pioneership in music means absolute {censored} to me. Either I like the {censored} or I don't. In one sense there's no such thing as being a ripoff of anyone else. On the other hand there's no such thing as not being a ripoff.

I like making music. I don't have some sort of brilliant mind producing new combinations of frequencies and inventing new styles with every song. I just sound like the {censored} I like. If other people like it too...well hell that's the idea to me.

yeah.

• Members

I don't think in Killing Jokes case it does ... they are fairly well recognised as being the progenitors of the Industrial scene and they sure as hell didn't sound like anybody else in 79,80,81 and on ...

The problem is blatant ripping off ... Come as your are is just a total rip off of 80's. All of a sudden a generation of morons arrived pontificating that Nirvana were the answer to rocks salvation and they were bringing things to the table that had never come before. My reaction to the band and those sentiments is merely symptomatic of the stupidity of those attitudes.

Yeah ok ...

They were the Monkeys metaphorically speaking, not literally .... sheesh.

no they were more like the beattles.... The beattles really at least until revolver, were just 4 nice boys from liverpool making the music that kids previously were not allowed to listen to.

I dont think i have ever heard killing joke, but nirvana never sounded very industrial.

I actually got in to nirvana before it really hit mainstreem. At the time, i thought that nevermind was great, but NEVER thought that cheerleaders, metalheads, and black people would be listening to it in 3 months.

oh favorite song...

molly's lips

• Members

I always thought that the real beauty of Nirvana was the fact that Kurt wrote some truly memorable songs. Regardless of your opinion of the guy, he should be recognized as a gifted songwriter.

My favorite Nirvana songs are "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge..." and "Lithium."

When a Nirvana song comes on the radio (albeit rare these days), I don't think I've ever turned it off or changed the station.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

no they were more like the beattles.... The beattles really at least until revolver, were just 4 nice boys from liverpool making the music that kids previously were not allowed to listen to.

I dont think i have ever heard killing joke, but nirvana never sounded very industrial.

I actually got in to nirvana before it really hit mainstreem. At the time, i thought that nevermind was great, but NEVER thought that cheerleaders, metalheads, and black people would be listening to it in 3 months.

oh favorite song...

molly's lips

Thats very true.

I think the thing is that sometimes something can be so trancendental that it totally bridges the gaps of things like underground/indie vs mainstream and the racial gap that usually keeps people out of a certain type of music.

I also wonder if Nirvana didn't have something to do with bringing the more "edgy" type of rock music in to the preppy kid's bedrooms.

I mean, when I was a kid, the preps only listened to {censored} like Def Leopard and Bon Jovi and other basically safe, clean rock. But now, I mean you have the straight A students and, like you said, cheerleaders walking around singing Korn lyrics about ass rape or whatever.

But, prior to Nirvana, that {censored} wasn't cool. I used to write lyrics and stuff on my folders, and those kids always told me how lame it was.

Then Nirvana comes along, singing "Rape Me" and "Polly", etc, and then its cool to be {censored}ed up, so Korn and Disturbed and {censored} are getting played in The Gap.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

I believe Tikki's refering to Nirvana's rip of the bassline of the KJ song "Eighties" for the hook of "Come As You Are", its very, very similar.

I liked Nirvana but I never thought of them as some kind of incredibly original sound. They sounded like the Police with more distortion and a better singer to me in many ways.

• Members
Originally posted by elctmist

I believe Tikki's refering to Nirvana's rip of the bassline of the KJ song "Eighties" for the hook of "Come As You Are", its very, very similar.

I liked Nirvana but I never thought of them as some kind of incredibly original sound. They sounded like the Police with more distortion and a better singer to me in many ways.

The Police, as in Roxanne?

As in Sting?

:confused:

Archived