Digitech GSP 1101

lespaul1964

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought I would post a few pics here on this thread. I just received my GSP1101 a few hours ago.

Here is the contents of the box. The GSP1101 comes nicely packaged...and arrived securely and safely:

P1010027-1.jpg

Here are some of my stombox pedals that I will using in the GSP1101's preamp loop, along with my Peavey ValveKing 100 head:

P1010037.jpg

And here be my weapons of mass destruction:

P1010042.jpg

Unfortunately, it is too late tonight for me to practice, as the Wife is going to bed early tonight...so I will post back with my first impressions tomorrow night. In the meantime, this will give me a chance to load the Editing software on my Laptop, which was included with on a CD. That should tide me over for the night, as I am sure the GSP1101 Editor/Librarian will be very interesting to play around with.

Cheers for now,

Deuterium

• Members

Okay...stupid question.

I have never used one of these software-based Editor/Librarian tools.

What I thought I could do, was to be able to load/open and run the X-Edit 2 software on my laptop...without having to be connected to the GSP1101. I just wanted to take a quick tour through the program...and perhaps see what some of the fx settings and program values were for the different factory presets.

However, after installing the software and USB drivers succesfully...I can't open and run X-Edit 2. When I try to run it, I get an error message saying the following:

"X-Edit was unable to locate a device. This may happen for any of the following reasons..."

So, apparently the software is looking for connectivity with the GSP1101 ??

Why can't I just run the program locally...that is, by itself and not connected with the GSP1101? I do realize the point of the software is to make it a bit easier to program the unit...instead of doing it at the faceplate of the device. However, I assumed one could still review the program on its own, and get a feel for the GUI.

Can any of you GSP1101 owners advise on this issue?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I didn't try XEdit without the GSP connected but yes, I think it will not work without because the software and the hardware are linked together... In fact, what you see into the program, is what really stands on the unit : the software connects to the GSP and displays the actual configuration. Then, everything you change into the program is changed on the hardware in realtime (you just need to save your change before leaving a preset).

Maybe dougsthang knows a way to do what you want but...

• Members

When we wrote the presets we put the effects in the logical place in the flow of the signal but you can place any effect either pre or post.

Is it doable directly on the unit ? I don't find anything in the manual about it... Maybe only the software thingy can do that ? I hope not. I actually prefer editing directly on the frontplate of my rack effects. I find it more bothersome than anything to drag the laptop to the rack in the rehearsal room, connect it at the rear in the spaghetti mess of cables and sitting down with the computer. I'm interested in buying one BTW... I really like digitech products. I have an original Whammy (bought new back in the day, was it 15 years ago, wow I'm getting old), a Talker, a Space Station etc...

• Members

Is it doable directly on the unit ? I don't find anything in the manual about it... Maybe only the software thingy can do that ? I hope not. I actually prefer editing directly on the frontplate of my rack effects. I find it more bothersome than anything to drag the laptop to the rack in the rehearsal room, connect it at the rear in the spaghetti mess of cables and sitting down with the computer. I'm interested in buying one BTW... I really like digitech products. I have an original Whammy (bought new back in the day, was it 15 years ago, wow I'm getting old), a Talker, a Space Station etc...

Hi Jack:

I can confirm that all the Modulation effects (called "Chorus/FX" in the User manual) are programmable so as be placed either before distortion (Pre-Amp), or after (Post-amp)...this is stated in the User Manual (although I had to read the manual a few times before I happened to catch this). In case you want to read this for yourself...it is on page 30 of the User Manual.

I did NOT see or read that this is do-able with the other time-based FX such as Delay and Reverb (but why would you want to put those in front of the preamp, anyway?...delays and reverbs should technically and ideally be after the preamp).

Although I haven't yet fired up my GSP1101 (I will get a chance after work, later tonight), if I read this section of the manual correctly, it certainly looks as though this routing of the Chorus/FX is available to be selected and programmed directly at the front of the panel. So, to answer your question, this is not a feature that is only programmable via the software-based Editor.

However...even if, in the worse case, this feature WAS only available via the software Editor, I don't see why it would be a problem. You can always use the Editor to program a bunch of pre-sets in advance, and store them in any of the 99 available User pre-set memory locations. So, as an example, you could have two versions of a pre-set ("A" and "B") that are otherwise identical except for the location of one of the Chorus/FX. In version "A", you might have (as an example) the MXR Phaser located PRE-Amp (before the amp models) whereas in version "B" you have it Post Amp.

Cheers,

John (Deuterium)

• Members

Yes, the unit must be plugged in via the USB for the laptop to launch the software.

I realized I typed something incorrect in a prior post. Only the Chorus/FX sections is assignable pre or post.

Doug...

You know what would have been an incredible feature (and perhaps a 1st of it's kind)? Here is a Product Design idea that I thought of...after I realized how lame it was that I couldn't even run the Editor software in simulation, without having to have my laptop physically connected to the GSP1101:

DigiTech should have designed the Editor software so that you could at least run it stand-alone, so as to give the User (or prospective customer) a preview of the interface...and perhaps even the ability to explore some of the parameters used for the factory pre-sets.

What would have been a truly innovative (revolutionary ?) concept would be to design/program a virtual editor console...with actual recorded sound samples of all the effects and amp models. And include the ability to "test" and simulate different effect routings and settings, all in a virtual environment. Imagine having the ability to test out different ideas on the virtual editor, and hear the results in real-time (thru headphones). It would be like having a computer-based software modeler of the actual hardware preamp/modeler :eek::cool::D

Damn, it would be better than a video game. I could see myself playing around with the program for hours, coming up with different "pre-sets" that your computer could play-back in real time (using the actual recorded sound files/samples). Then, to be able to save a bunch of these "virtual" patches, to be able to then load them on the actual GSP1101 hardware. Now that would seriously rock.

• Members

editor is for real time edits. you can test your sounds with the 1101 connected.

I wonder why spread delay or a dual delay was not added. maybe a dumb question since stereo delay is sort of useless with a mono amp. I do have a stereo power amp and pair of speakers. two indep delays would have been cool to have as option.

• Members

What would have been a truly innovative (revolutionary ?) concept would be to design/program a virtual editor console...with actual recorded sound samples of all the effects and amp models. And include the ability to "test" and simulate different effect routings and settings, all in a virtual environment. Imagine having the ability to test out different ideas on the virtual editor, and hear the results in real-time (thru headphones). It would be like having a computer-based software modeler of the actual hardware preamp/modeler
:eek::cool::D

Damn, it would be better than a video game. I could see myself playing around with the program for hours, coming up with different "pre-sets" that your computer could play-back in real time (using the actual recorded sound files/samples). Then, to be able to save a bunch of these "virtual" patches, to be able to then load them on the actual GSP1101 hardware. Now that would seriously rock.

What you describe is what I'm doing now, but with the GSP connected (for me it's not a real problem :D

I have also something to ask to Doug : is it possible that in the future, there will be some firmware upgrade with real additional content in it like for exemple, a new amp modeling like an Orange amp, or a new reverse reverb for exemple (like line6 or Native Instrument are doing)...?

That would be awesome.

• Members

Hi Jack:

I can confirm that all the Modulation effects (called "Chorus/FX" in the User manual) are programmable so as be placed either before distortion (Pre-Amp), or after (Post-amp)...this is stated in the User Manual (although I had to read the manual a few times before I happened to catch this). In case you want to read this for yourself...it is on page 30 of the User Manual.

I did NOT see or read that this is do-able with the other time-based FX such as Delay and Reverb (but why would you want to put those in front of the preamp, anyway?...delays and reverbs should technically and ideally be after the preamp).

Although I haven't yet fired up my GSP1101 (I will get a chance after work, later tonight), if I read this section of the manual correctly, it certainly looks as though this routing of the Chorus/FX is available to be selected and programmed directly at the front of the panel. So, to answer your question, this is not a feature that is only programmable via the software-based Editor.

However...even if, in the worse case, this feature WAS only available via the software Editor, I don't see why it would be a problem. You can always use the Editor to program a bunch of pre-sets in advance, and store them in any of the 99 available User pre-set memory locations. So, as an example, you could have two versions of a pre-set ("A" and "B") that are otherwise identical except for the location of one of the Chorus/FX. In version "A", you might have (as an example) the MXR Phaser located PRE-Amp (before the amp models) whereas in version "B" you have it Post Amp.

Cheers,

John (Deuterium)

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer ! I understand how it works now. I hoped there would be comprehensive routing options like in the TC G-Force or Lexicon G2 (both I used extensively).

• Members

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer ! I understand how it works now. I hoped there would be comprehensive routing options like in the TC G-Force or Lexicon G2 (both I used extensively).

Track down a fully loaded GSP-2101LE/TSR-24S. The FX routing/possibilities makes both the G2, G-Force, insert other MFX's here _______________ , seem like toys in that aspect. Seriously.

• Members

Track down a fully loaded GSP-2101LE/TSR-24S. The FX routing/possibilities makes both the G2, G-Force, insert other MFX's here _______________ , seem like toys in that aspect. Seriously.

Boogieman_dan:

...why that advice, exactly? IMHO the new GSP1101 is better in all respects. And I used to own a GSP2101.

The GSP1101 has WAY better tones, both in the main distortions and amp models, as well as in the digital effects.

The GSP1101's interface is also more intuitive, easier to work with, and one has a quicker ability in dialing in the tone they are hoping to achieve. True, the post-Amp FX do not have the layers of tweaking, and minute adjustments of a gazillion paramaters...but this turns out to be totally unnecessary. The over-all quality of the GSP1101's FX are superior, and their depth of adjustments are a perfect balance of useability, practicality, and necessary depth.

• Members

We realize that options have been left to the wayside. I used to work for Lexicon and sold many a G2 rig. Let's remember that the Lexicon G2 system was $1,495, the GSP is $499. The G2 does have a few more editing capabilties but there is no doubt the GSP blows most units on the market today out of the water sonically. The G2 had a two Lexichips as it's memory. Just one AudioDNA2 chip (there are 2 inside the GSP) is four time more powerful than a Lexichip.

Any time you add extra models and extra effects that's one more burden on the chip set. The way we are doing our latest models, High Definition Point to Point modeling, we are creating exact mathmatical representations with virtual tubes, virtual capacitors & resistors. That takes a heck alot of processing power to accomplish. We wanted to run this lean and mean which in turn would provide the most stellar tones and feel.

• Members

Actually Lexicon pioneered this idea of pre and post signal flow with the Lexicon G2, since Lexicon is our sister company we revitalized that idea. Let's also not forget that DigiTech was the first company to create rack guitar multi effects back in the day so nobody is stealing or copying anything.

Okay, so YOU pioneered the idea by virtue of Lexicon's work. :rolleyes: In that case then, digitech has literally no excuse for not putting this feature on an RP/AudioDNA unit sooner. :rolleyes:

Point was, it is not some unique new thing that is exclusive to the GSP-1101. It's fully agreed, that it IS a very cool feature and high time companies like Digitech and Line 6 followed Boss's suit and put it on consumer grade gear. So kudos on the "revitalization".

• Members

Boogieman_dan:

...why that advice, exactly? IMHO the new GSP1101 is better in all respects. And I used to own a GSP2101.

The GSP1101 has WAY better tones, both in the main distortions and amp models, as well as in the digital effects.

I'll personally check it out myself but I wouldn't be shocked if Dan was right.

Some of you guys sound like you're still in the honeymoon phase. The GSP-21xx series was bad ass and they get nowhere near the love they deserve and are still awesome units. They have analog distortion with a tube preamp section and monstrous configurability and flexibility. The GNX units all have digital modeling distortion and all have blown donkey to date, tonewise.

Given that the 1101 is the same technology and every clip of it I've heard indicates it's the same as the other modeling offerings in the AudioDNA line, I'm somewhat skeptical (although not so badly to have written it off or anything).

Regardless, the unit *looks* really appealing and has a great feature set so it is a compelling entry into this area and VERY nice to see being introduced.

So it IS nice to see, but the 21xx stuff is just classic, IMHO. Let's check back in five or ten years, and compare again and see what has stood the test of time. ;)

• Members

It looks like it will street at $299. Though that is a very preliminary price which could change upon final feature set.

Hey Doug,

Just few questions on the controller that is coming out perhaps you can answer:

Is it AC/DC powered through the control cable, or do you have to plug it into the wall?

Is the control cable a Midi cable?

One expression pedal or two?

BTW - I've been bouncing from my Marshall JMP-1 to the Digitech GSP1101 on different patches dialing in the GSP to sound like the JMP. Playing around with the Parametric EQ in the GSP, I now I have a couple of patches set up that make it very hard to tell which one you're playing through. That says a lot for the GSP's flexibility.

Now, if I could just get the midi expression pedal to work the wah in the GSP more smoothly, all would be right in the world. Already re-calibrated the pedal itself (FCB1010), and tried adjusting the GSP wah within the included software to no avail. Sent the question to Digitech tech support with no return reply so they must know about the problem. Guess I might have to wait for the next software upgrade or chip?

Really diggin' this unit the more I play with it.

• Members

The pedal will be powered via the cable.

The cable will be a CAD5 cable (LAN cable). We went with that cable because of it's mass availability. Any Best Buy or Circuit City type store will have it.

It will have one expression pedal on it.

I also have someone looking into the Wah situation.

• Members

I did some (really simple :o ) samples of the GSP1101 here :

VOX AC30

Fender Deluxe Reverb

Fender Tweed Deluxe

HIWATT

Dual Rectifier

JCM900 + Big Muff

Digitech Clean

Digitech Blues

Digitech Chunk

Digitech Crunch

Digitech Fuzz

Digitech Metal

Digitech Tube

AC15

JTM45

I hope they will be usefull for someone ;)

• Members

I also have someone looking into the Wah situation.

That is really great! Thank you so much for that. I'll stare at this thread anxiously awaiting word. :thu:

The last comment about it from someone else here on the board was:

"That stepping you hear is inherit in some MIDI units, it has to deal with the MIDI CC send/receive speed and MIDI error handling IIRC".

• Members

Confusion --> Frustration --> Panic --> Revelation --> Inspiration --> Happiness & Satisfaction --> Anticipation of further and future tonal wonders

I went thru each of these successive stages during my first 4-hours with my new GSP1101. The first hour and half was taken up mostly with the physical hook-up and connections with my existing rig, initial power on, initial programming set-up, and initial MAJOR PANIC and Bewilderment...due to the crappy sound I was getting. YIKES!!!!

How could this state-of-the art, next-gen, pro-class rack mount preamp/modeler/MultiFX system, designed with 2 of the newest, high powered audio/DSP processors (Harman's Audio DNA2 chips), and including a feature-rich set of digitally modeled stomp box pedals, point-to-point topology amp models, and high-end Chorus/FX, Delays and Lexicon Reverbs...sound so terrible, muddy, and down-right fugally ???

Quite easily, actually...If It HASN'T BEEN SET-UP PROPERLY by the Owner/User.

Indeed, despite an extensive pre-study of the GSP1101's User Manual, and carefully following the step-by-step instructions in the automated User Setup/configuration menu...somehow I still managed to screw this up somehow. :freak: Of course, I didn't realize this until after I had completed the initial setup procedures, and began sampling the first pre-set. As soon as I turned up my guitar, and played a couple of notes, I realized something was terribly wrong. And my only hope was that it wasn't a poor choice in new products on my part. And, as it turns out, this fortunately is not the case.

On the contrary. After figuring out what was going wrong, and making the appropriate corrections...I am convinced that DigiTech has developed and delivered a fantastic product, in the GSP1101.

Now, in my defense...and despite of the well thought out, automated set-up menu (which walks the User thru the different configuration modes, and fine tunes the processor algorithms so as to sound the best with your unique gear and method of sound reproduction), there still remains sources of confusion. And, it is rather easy to over-look a key parameter or two, which can make all the difference in the world.

In my particular case, I had made the correct physical connections, as well as correctly "telling" the GSP1101 how I wanted it to be configured, during the automated set-up procedure. What I had overlooked, is a parameter in the main "Edit Effects/Preset menu. Even though I had correctly answered the set-up questions, and had clearly programmed the GSP1101 to configure itself for "Amp Input/Preamp Loop"...for some NON-intuitive reason, I still had to manually re-configure two settings;

1) In the Global Functions menu, I had to get into the "I/O" Setup, and set the "Type of Loop" to ==> "Into/Ext Preamp". This configures the GSP1101 so as to allow the use of EITHER your existing stomp box pedals and main amp, OR to bypass your external amp & stomp box pedals, and instead utilize the GSP1101's internal preamp/amp modeling. >.

2) Next, I had to return to the pre-programmed factory preset, enter the Edit mode, and select the menu "FX loop" and manually set and program it for either "external" or "internal" preamp.

BERFORE I HAD DISCOVERED THIS..I SOMEHOW HAD THE INTERNAL AMP MODELS ACTIVITACTED, AS WELL AS MY EXTERNAL PREAMP OF MY VALVEKING 100. SO, WHAT WAS HAPPENNING WAS THAT, EFFECTIVELY, I WAS GOING THRU TWO PREAMPS IN SERIES. In other words, my signal included both the internal GSP1101 preamp as well as my ValveKing's preamp. No wonder it sounded like complete and utter crap.

Once I found the error, I re-set the programming so that it was either one or the other...not both.

Having made the necessary corrections, I set the GSP1101 to have my external Valveking' preamp in the loop (with the GSP1101's internal preamp/amp bypassed)...now I had my standard wonderful tone from the Peavey...yet I still could include the GSP1101's post-Amp FXs, such as chorus, delays and reverbs.

Alternatively, I set the GSP1101 to turn off the "External Loop" (thereby bypassing my ValveKing's preamp) and enabled the GSP1101's internal preamp modeling. Again, great results! The GSP1101's internal preamp, in combination with my Peavey ValveKing's 6L6-based power section, is an excellent match.

In fact, I very quickly was able to program and save my first User pre-set, in which I have selected the GSP1101's "DigiTech Blues" preamp/amp model. I also programmed in the GSP1101's model of the MXR DynaComp compressor, and TS-808 Tube Screamer Overdrive. Finally, I added a bit of tasty and warm plate reverb. These took me all of 5-minutes to program and tweak some parameters, and then save. Keep in mind that this is just my first pass at making my own patch from scratch. Nevertheless, the results were FANTASTASTIC. I was getting a wonderful overdriven tone, that has a nice mid-range...and perfect for single-note Lead / Solo lines. This sounded like the real deal. It had none of the fake, digital sounding harshness of the Line 6 POD series. It was alive, it breathed, and sounded wonderfully 3-dimensional!

So, to make a long story long... I haven't even scratched the surface of the GSP1101's sonic landscape. Nor have I yet had a chance to listen to all the different amp models the GSP1101 has to offer...probably because I had so much fun playing with this first program/patch I made.

I did, however, spend a few minutes audtioning a few select amp models. These are based on the Solano SLO 100, and Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. I have never heard, first-hand, the sound from a SLO. Therefore, I can't compare how "accurate" the DigiTech GSP1101's model is. However, I CAN SAY that this model kicked all kinds of ass. The creamy, liquid sustain was simply sublime. And there was a huge amount of useable gain range, available. The model of the M-B Dual Rec was very, very impressive. And that is an amp I have owned, and know well. Again, DigiTech nailed the "in your F'n face" gain, as well as the Rectifier's somewhat buzzy distortion and feedback

I also sampled some of DigiTech's own models, including an eerily accurate model of the DigiTech GSP2101 Artist "Saturated Tube". I am also happy to report that the factory pre-programmed presets all all quite nice. They give you a wide selection of tones, and demonstrate the many different effects and effects combinations which are available. My initial perception is that all the factory presets show taste and moderation. There is none of the crazy, over-the-top, effects-laden garbage that typically is found on these kinds of devices. DigiTech has wisely decided to take a more serious, conservative approach with the factory presets...and the results are evident and (at least for me) appreciated.

Cheers,

John (Deuterium)

• Members

Hi doug,

please have a look here as another user is having the exact same problem I have :

http://www.guitarworld.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39799&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gnx3000&start=137

Deuterium : great review and yes, the configuration is really important and not only with a preamp, for all situations (I allready gave this info on the french forums because I also think it's very important, and not so obvious to choose when you want to do a quick start with the unit, for exemple if someone wants to try it in a store)

• Members

Has anyone used this processor's speaker modeling with an external tube preamp? If so, have you noticed any unwanted compression, limiting, digitization, or clipping?

CK3: Could you elaborate, and provide a bit more detail as to how exactly you foresee hooking up the GSP1101 ?

What type of tube-based preamp do you mean? And, how are you amplifying your signal? Are you going into a rack-mount poweramp? Are you using the poweramp of a tube-based combo amp or head? Or, are you going direct to a PA system?

Typically, you would only want to use speaker cab simulations only if you were;

a) playing thru a full-range speaker(s) --such as a PA / active monitor(s)

b) going direct thru a mixer and then PA

c) or going direct to recording device

Otherwise, if your signal is being reproduced thru a traditional guitar speaker/cabinet, you most definitely would want to turn-off any speaker cabinet emulation/simulation.

So...please provide further details so you get the appropriate recommendations.

Cheers,

Deuterium

Archived