Digitech GSP 1101

lespaul1964

• Members

I have been using amp modelers for many years and am familiar with appropriate applications for speaker modeling. Still, I probably should have explicitly mentioned that I intend to go direct ... though I thought that this would be inferred through my reference to the use of speaker simulation with a tube preamp. I will be running my signal into a mixer and/or a pair of keyboard amps with full-range speakers.

I would probably want to place my Peavey Rock Master in the loop of the GSP1101 and set the loop to operate in multi-purpose mode, as the instruction manual indicates I should. The manual also seemed to suggest that the amp/speaker sims are one fx block, which concerns me a bit, as it would seem that the preamp is probably not bypassed if you use the "direct" amp model.

My primary concern is sound quality. I am currently using an analog amp/speaker modeler with my Rock Master. The modeler has been set as flat as possible in an effort to create speaker simulation with the least amount of unwanted coloration. However, there is still undesirable compression/limiting when I use it to process my preamp. I had an even worse experience with the Boss GT-8 in this regard, but was using pedals for gain back when I owned one.

Basically, I am wondering if the preamp of the GSP1101 compresses, limits, and/or digitizes your signal when amp sims are bypassed and speaker sims are active.

Also, how strong is the buffer in its effects loop when it is in line level mode? Does it create enough of a boost to drive a preamp slightly more than a direct signal?

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have been using amp modelers for many years and am familiar with appropriate applications for speaker modeling. Still, I probably should have explicitly mentioned that I intend to go direct ... though I thought that this would be inferred through my reference to the use of speaker simulation with a tube preamp. I will be running my signal into a mixer and/or a pair of keyboard amps with full-range speakers.

I would probably want to place my Peavey Rock Master in the loop of the GSP1101 and set the loop to operate in multi-purpose mode, as the instruction manual indicates I should. The manual also seemed to suggest that the amp/speaker sims are one fx block, which concerns me a bit, as it would seem that the preamp is probably not bypassed if you use the "direct" amp model.

My primary concern is sound quality. I am currently using an analog amp/speaker modeler with my Rock Master. The modeler has been set as flat as possible in an effort to create speaker simulation with the least amount of unwanted coloration. However, there is still undesirable compression/limiting when I use it to process my preamp. I had an even worse experience with the Boss GT-8 in this regard, but was using pedals for gain back when I owned one.

Basically, I am wondering if the preamp of the GSP1101 compresses, limits, and/or digitizes your signal when amp sims are bypassed and speaker sims are active.

Also, how strong is the buffer in its effects loop when it is in line level mode? Does it create enough of a boost to drive a preamp slightly more than a direct signal?

Easy there, CK...I wasn't trying to sound patronizing. I had no idea as to your level of experience with regards to this type of gear. So please don't take offense.

I do not have much experience with going direct, so I will defer to "Dougsthang". I am sure he will see your post, and reply back with answers to your questions.

• Members

Easy there, CK...I wasn't trying to sound patronizing. I had no idea as to your level of experience with regards to this type of gear. So please don't take offense.

I do not have much experience with going direct, so I will defer to "Dougsthang". I am sure he will see your post, and reply back with answers to your questions.

:cool::thu:

• Members

We realize that options have been left to the wayside. I used to work for Lexicon and sold many a G2 rig. Let's remember that the Lexicon G2 system was $1,495, the GSP is $499. The G2 does have a few more editing capabilties but there is no doubt the GSP blows most units on the market today out of the water sonically. The G2 had a two Lexichips as it's memory. Just one AudioDNA2 chip (there are 2 inside the GSP) is four time more powerful than a Lexichip.

Any time you add extra models and extra effects that's one more burden on the chip set. The way we are doing our latest models, High Definition Point to Point modeling, we are creating exact mathmatical representations with virtual tubes, virtual capacitors & resistors. That takes a heck alot of processing power to accomplish. We wanted to run this lean and mean which in turn would provide the most stellar tones and feel.

Thanks for the detailed answers. I'll definitely check one out. :thu:

• Members

Golguth:

Thanks for the great samples! Culd you tell us how you made them? Did you go straight from your gitar to the GSP and direct to the soundcard? Was there any (internal) stomp in the chain? Also what guitar do you use?

I think the clean/crunch amps are really good! The heavy distorted amps still sound very digital, but I'm not concerned about this since I rarely use them and I'll be using an external analog stomp for this.

Now I have a Tonelab SE, which has a terrible, practicly non existing clean sounds. I even change the tube to a weaker one, to calm down the gains.

• Members

Samples are recorded directly with the GSP Usb soundcard. Nothing external was added to the sounds, it has been directly recorded via Soundforge. For some samples there was a compressor or the internal Eq activated, nothing else (exept for the "JCM900+Big Muff" one of course). My guitar is a Rickenbacker 650v63 as you can see on my avatar ;)

The heavy distorted amps still sound very digital

It's not really my cup of tea, but I can assure you that you can get very good ones with this unit.

• Members

For example:

My Tonelab SE has also very digital sounding hi gain models or internal distortion stomps. When I turn them off, set the Tonelab to a clean sound and add a Boss SD1 (with Monte Allums mod) in the fx loop, it sounds incredibly better.

I think digital units are still far from all analog stomps and preamps.

But they lack flexibility so I'll be waiting for the new GSP foot controller and buy them together. Hopefully soon.

• Members

Samples are recorded directly with the GSP Usb soundcard. Nothing external was added to the sounds, it has been directly recorded via Soundforge. For some samples there was a compressor or the internal Eq activated, nothing else (exept for the "JCM900+Big Muff" one of course). My guitar is a Rickenbacker 650v63 as you can see on my avatar
;)

It's not really my cup of tea, but I can assure you that you can get very good ones with this unit.

Hi Golguth:

Althought I have been playing guitar for years...I am somewhat embarrased to admit that I have never done any recording...so forgive this stupid question in advance.

What do you mean by the "GSP USB soundcard". Is this just the USB connection coming out of the GSP1101? Is everything I need built into the GSP1101? Can I connect it directly to my computer to record, or do I need some type of external interface? Also, is "Soundforge" the recording software that would be installed on your computer ? Is this a program I buy, or is it free/shareware?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Dear Deuterium,

I admit that my description is not 100% accurate so I'll develop a little bit, have a seat and relax because if you didn't know that, you will be really exciting by this : just connect your GSP to the usb port of your computer (after having installed the drivers) and you'll have a new soundcard into your Windows.

You just need to select this new sound card in windows, or into the program you will be using to record samples and that's it. No need of another external device. You could even play your games or listen to MP3 through the GSP.

And no, Soundforge is not free, but it was just used to record samples, you can use any other software you like.

;)

• Members

Listening to your samples again, more carefully, I started to be a little worried about one thing:

The main sound is good, but there is always some kind of quieter sound in the background, which is ugly distorted. You can hear it best in the samples "Fender Tweed Deluxe" and "Digitech Chunk", especialy at the ends on the open chord fading away. This shouldn't happen in a clean tone.

• Members

this is because I added a compressor and I like to have the Gain a little bit high, this give some "crunch" sound, and surely not a 100% clean sound (wich I assure you can have without any problem)... And by the way, the Chunk amp is surely not a clean amp, and that's one of my favorite one !

• Members

Dear Deuterium,

I admit that my description is not 100% accurate so I'll develop a little bit, have a seat and relax because if you didn't know that, you will be really exciting by this : just connect your GSP to the usb port of your computer (after having installed the drivers) and you'll have a new soundcard into your Windows.

You just need to select this new sound card in windows, or into the program you will be using to record samples and that's it. No need of another external device. You could even play your games or listen to MP3 through the GSP.

And no, Soundforge is not free, but it was just used to record samples, you can use any other software you like.

;)

Hi Golguth:

Thanks for the info. and further details. It is much appreciated.

Cheers,

John

P.S. ==> Belgium rules !

• Members

Golguth.

Could you do me a favour and record a super clean sound, playing some open chords and power chords? I really need a preamp, that you could play no matter how hard, it would always keep a clean tone with no crunch or dist at all. TNX!

• Members

of course, no problem, just need some time (I'll try tonight).

I got a question regarding XEdit 2. This software is working great exept that I can't reopen a saved preset : the save function is working well, it creates a file on my computer but, when I want to open it into XEdit, I got a input error or something... Beside this, the backup of everything is working great. Can someone try this ?

I'm using last versions of the software and GSP firmware (2.3 and 1.3)

• Members

I just snagged one of these. So far I'm impressed with the tones, and I'm particularly pleased with the stereo effect loop.

Mine has the same problem mentioned by others - for the first few minutes after powerup, it produces an annoying and rather loud popping noise that gradually calms down. Does everyone's do this? If so, I'll probably just send it back. If not, I'll probably exchange it for another one and roll the dice one time to see if I get one that's not defective.

• Members

Can you explain to me ? I don't understand....
:confused:

Golguth:

Whatever is the cause...I recommend you still go forward in getting yourself a new unit. This is definitely NOT normal. My GSP1101 does not exhibit the start-up noise that is occuring in yours (which I undersand from your posts, slowly tapers away after unit warms up, 5-10 minutes).

You have a defective unit.

So, good luck with obtaining a new one as quickly as possible.

Cheers,

John (Deuterium)

PS -- I think my favorite Trappist ale is Orval. :)

Archived