Digitech GSP 1101

lespaul1964

• Members

I have to tell you guys, I have been on the road visiting dealers across the country. I have my GSP in a travel rack. Every store front I demo the unit at has been blown away. What's cool is I never am sure about the rig I'll be demoing through. Each store is different, I have had the chance to put the GSP through it's paces through a multitude of guitar/ Amp combos.

Some of my favs: A 1968 Les Paul through a VOX AC30, A Tom Anderson Strat as well as an Anderson Tele through a Z amp (also tried it with a Divided by 13 Amp, sweeeet), many combinations of Strats through Vintage Modern Marshall Half stacks, A 1971 Les Paul as well as a Custom Tele through a Mesa Boogie Mark II C+, A 1966 Strat through a Bat Cat and an Angus Young SG through a Fender Super Sonic to name a few.

What is cool was though each set up was different the GSP models bloosmed within each rig. The other cool thing is that I could clearly hear the differences of each guitar played through the same amp model. The only real variance was the speakers and overall power as well as the volume I played at (some stores you can't really kick it up, others like to bring it up)

The VOX AC30 I found to really be a perfect match for the GSP. Theres something about the power section coupled with the 2X12" speakers that really kicked it in gear.

I also have seen the Controller for the GSP, it really is sharp and really road ready. We should have it to market by mid December.

Doug...

Let me know if you plan on being in the Greater Springfield area (Massachussetts) in the near future. I would stop by to say hi.

Everything you have just said is totally the case. I have now hooked up my GSP1101 to the following amps I own:

Peavey ValveKing 100 watt Head

Fender SuperSonic combo

Randall RH50T 50 Watt head

And it sounds great with all of these amps. I paricularly like it with the Peavey ValveKing. Again, it might have something to do with the 6L6 power section.

I have also played my Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Strats, as well as my PRS CE-24 and Peavey V-Type. All sound great...but my YJM Strats are my main guitars, and they sound the best.

Another amazing thing about the GSP1101...

I set my Peavey ValveKing for a "neutral" tone, with the Power Amp control pushed to the Class "A" setting. I used an external Bad Monkey on the 2nd channel (gain) to establish a base-line tone. I was able to program a patch in the GSP1101 that sounded almost spot-on to the Bad Monkey/Peavey ValveKing tone...using only the internal stompbox, virtual pedals and amp models. If I blind-folded someone, and did an A/B comparison, they would be hard pressed to discern which was the real amp, and which was the GSP1101 model...it was that close. Very amazing.

The amp models in the GSP1101 are all wonderful, and totally 3-dimensional. But it is the built-in virtual stompbox overdrives and distortions that really open this sucker up, and provide an almost limitless array of tones and gain sounds.

I also really like some of the DigiTech's own models of their 2101 series. The DigiTech "Blues" and the DigiTech 2101 Saturated Tube sound EXACTLY like I remember from my 2101.

But the absolute greatest thing about the GSP1101 is the transparent ability to hook it up with your existing stombox/amp(s) in the 4-cable mode...which gives you the ability to use your own pre-amplifier stombox pedals and your external amps preamp section, with the GSP1101's post Amp Effects (and totally bypass the built-in distortions and amp models)...OR to instantaneously switch to using the GSP1101's built-in stombox and amp models.

I know the BOSS GT-8 can do this...however, I do not like the GT-8s amp modeling. So, to recap, DigiTech really hit one out of the park (Grand Slam home run) with the GSP1101.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So, what difference in tone is there between this unit and the "stock" models in a GNX3000?

Anyone have both and an opinion?

My main issue with my GNX is that I get this annoying as hell "pick squawk"(for lack of a better term), on high gain rhythm playing. I like the tones a lot more than my PODxt when I had it, though I do have the "MFX Supermodels" CD. Really, I only use this through the PC, and might consider the next-gen GNX-type unit to replace my GT-8(I have to have the 4-cable, have to. I will not go rack again).

Also, why did they move away from the "Warp" feature?

• Members

Any updates on the controller? Features, number of patch buttons, size, screen, etc.

LP: What is it with you and the foot controller ? :p

Have you heard, tried or bought the GSP1101 yet?

I'm kind of just teasing you, and I am not trying to be mean...but you seem more concerned/interested in a foot controller then the actual GSP1101, itself.

I am certain the Foot Controller, when released in the next couple of months, will be kick ass, just like the GSP1101...and I also expect it to be just as User Friendly to the gigging musician.

• Members

Hi.

I just got the GSP and LOVE IT!!!

I'll write a review soon after I play with it a little bit more.

Now: Has anyone of you already performed a firmware update? Mine came with 1.2 while the latest is 1.3. I downloaded the updater program but it can't find the unit connected over the USB. The unit is working fine with the editor or as a soundcard. Any ideas? There is nothing about this in the manual nor on the support site.

I found by myself an UPDATE mode that shows on the screen if you power up the unit while holding the setup button, but the updater doesn't work either.

Digitech, what about writing a word about this in the manual?!?

• Members

Guy's i have plans to get this unit!!!!! But I have 2 questions for you

1)You think that using the GSP 1101 with a tech 21 powerengine 60 will do justice for the sound and feel?

2)I own a pc but I use windos Vista basic would this unit firmware updateand edit will work fine on this OS or I need Windos XP to do so?

• Members

Hi.

I use my GSP with my old Behringer FCB1010 foot controller.

Does anybody knows if it is possible for the FCB1010 to send the expression pedal values when you change presets? I would like it to keep the pedal volume level when I change presets.

• Members

Hi.

I use my GSP with my old Behringer FCB1010 foot controller.

Does anybody knows if it is possible for the FCB1010 to send the expression pedal values when you change presets? I would like it to keep the pedal volume level when I change presets.

I ve read that a firmware update will be released for the GSP so that preset volume will be kepted when you change from one preset to another...

• Members

Here is the preliminary info on the foot controller

Looks good!!!:love:

Tomorrow I'll have my 1101, I hope the foot controller will be available before january.

"Cable include", I like that. Although is a normal CAT5 cable that you can buy anywhere, I think it's easier get the foot controller out of the box and start using it.

Thanks for the information!

EDIT: Any idea of measures?

• Members

Here is the preliminary info on the foot controller

Hello Doug. Very Cool. Looks like a late Christmas present to myself :cool:

Any chance that the new firmware update / release would enable some sort of "Compare" feature...so that you can compare multiple changes you have made to a preset, with the original. I will feel real stupid if this is already standard, and I somehow missed it in the Instruction Manual...but I can't find it anywhere. This is a much needed feature.

Cheers,

John (Deuterium)

• Members

The latest software release will not include a "compare" feature, maybe down the road we can work on that.

The reason we went with a CAT5 cable is it's a very common cable, any "Best Buy" type electronics store will carry them. That way if you're at the gig and you forget your cable you don't have to go hunt down some weird one off cable.

• Members

The latest software release will not include a "compare" feature, maybe down the road we can work on that.

The reason we went with a CAT5 cable is it's a very common cable, any "Best Buy" type electronics store will carry them. That way if you're at the gig and you forget your cable you don't have to go hunt down some weird one off cable.

Looks like Digitech is doing the smart thing with this new foot controller. Looks to be modelled after the highly regarded Johnson J-12 controller. I wondered what the "reserved for future use" input on the back of the GSP1101 was for, and I had hoped that this would be for a future foot controller that a) would require no external power, and b) display the tuner. As a long time user of the GSP 2101 (two Artist Pros with dual s-disks) and Control One, these have always been two of my favourite features of the Control One.

After many years of being faithful to the 2101, I recently took the jump and purchased the GSP1101 after hearing some very impressive sound samples of the preamp section of the GSP1101 on this board (thanks Savaship and John P!). Digitech got this right too. Although it doesn't have all of the unrivaled flexibility of the 2101 (no mixers), the 1101 rocks, and beats the 2101 for ease of use, and beats the preamp section of the 2101 hands down. Oddly enough, it even models some of the preamp section of the 2101, and is quite convincing.

That said, I love the new GSP1101, but there were few things keeping me from selling my faithful old 2101s.

1) I LOVE being able to tune from my Control foot controller. I can't see not being able to do this anymore, especially on stage. I assume this new foot controller will have the tuner display in the foot controller display like the Control One has?

2) As I mentioned, it isn't quite as flexible without the mixers that play a big part in 2101 algorithms. This is particularly noticeable with the absence of control over panning of stereo effects. Although the intelligent harmonizer of the 2101 tracking pales by comparison to the 1101, I was always able to pan harmonies left and right, to give the appearance of two guitar players playing individual harmonies in the stereo field. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I have yet to duplicate this in the 1101 - it seems harmonies (either in pitch shifting or whammy) are stuck in mono. I run my gear in stereo, so this is really missed. Ultimately, my question is this. Can the 1101 do this? If not, would this be possible as part of a future software upgrade? Pretty please??? :idea:

3) Not sure if this is my unit, but my 1101 has annoying loud "POP" after I turn it on and the operating system begins to initialize. A quick remedy is to turn on the 1101 first, then turn on the amplifier it is running through, but If I don't there is a disturbing, and very loud POP that doesn't sound like it's very healthy for my speakers. Does anyone else have this problem?? I have firmware 1.2, will the currently available firmware 1.3 potentially correct this problem?

4) There doesn't appear to be a way to control input gain - some of the pickups I use are high output, and I've noticed some occasional clipping. Particularly when I add a an overdrive/distortion stompbox model to some of the preamp models. Any suggestions? If not, could an input gain control be built into a future firmware release? This is something that Behringer added to a firmware release for their V-amp Pro that effectively solved this problem.

5) Speaking of firmware, I have been unable to upgrade for some reason. I have the editor working through USB no problem, but when I try to run the firmware upgrader, it can't find my unit. I'm using WinXP.

All in all, I've had my new GSP1101 for almost 2 weeks now, and am totally impressed. In time, this unit is set to catch on in big way. While no multi-function unit is perfect, this is close. The realism of the preamp models is unsurpassed - it smokes others I have owned including various PODs, VOX, V-amp Pro. And the effects and routing options are stellar (with the exception of lack of control over stereo panning described above). The sound quality is almost too good. The high resolution provided by the dual AudioDNA chips is a milestone, providing fidelity unmatched in any similar product I've tried or heard.

Wow, sorry for the long rant, but I'm new on this board, and had a lot to say about this new unit. I Love it, and it's growing more on me every day. As a long time Digitech user, I've been used to hearing some musicians bash Digitech gear over the years. I think that the GSP1101 will make quite a few believers and converts out of those folks. Doug, please pass on my regards to the engineers at Digitech. As well as my firmware suggestions! :thu:

Cheers, DJ.

• Members

I was interested in the unit, but when I realized it does not have dedicated pre- and post-EQ (like the Boss GT8 does) I lost interest. I always use EQ for better tone shaping and an expensive unit like this should offer both dedicated pre- and post-EQ options (and I'm not talking just simple Low-Mid-High, but at least something with 5-6 controlable bands).

Archived