Digitech GSP 1101

lespaul1964

• Members

So, to recap...as I understand it, I make the physical connections the way you have described, then I set the "Type of Loop" in the Global Functions as "Int/Ext Preamp",,,,and then (I presume) I actually determine the "choice" of Internal or External Preamp by the way I program each preset ??? Would this be correct ?

Yes.

And thanks again for all your help!

No problem. :)

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Beating the dead horse again. Just to be sure.

I have a Jackson SL 1 and play direct to the snake/console through a GNX 2 and a BBE direct box. My concern is that I have dialed in my sounds including, envelope filters for songs like I want to break free by queen, the sweet stratty intro to Coming back to life, roomy delays for stuff like With or without you and Don

• Members

Beating the dead horse again. Just to be sure.

I have a Jackson SL 1 and play direct to the snake/console through a GNX 2 and a BBE direct box. My concern is that I have dialed in my sounds including, envelope filters for songs like I want to break free by queen, the sweet stratty intro to Coming back to life, roomy delays for stuff like With or without you and Don

• Members

Hi LP:

I am not quite certain how your question applies to the GSP1101 ?? You did just write that you are using a GNX 2. And, by implication, it seems like your question has to do with the GNX 2. Or am I missing something ?

The GSP1101 is not the same as the GNX 2, and it does not use the same modeling and EQ algorithms.

My concern is the amount of time it will take me to dial in specific sounds for specific songs with the 1101. After a few years with the GNX 2 I am very satisfied with the sounds. I question how long it will take me to dial in the sounds on totally new technology. Common sense tells me it should be easier on a much better platform, but it is not always the case.

Another question, how do the applications compare the the Line 6/Variax modeling applications? I understand that the Variax converts to digital all the analog sounds and then transforms them to output as the chosen sound. It is very decent technology. In what way is this similar and in what way is this different?? Thanks for the patience and responses.

• Members

My concern is the amount of time it will take me to dial in specific sounds for specific songs with the 1101. After a few years with the GNX 2 I am very satisfied with the sounds. I question how long it will take me to dial in the sounds on totally new technology. Common sense tells me it should be easier on a much better platform, but it is not always the case.

Another question, how do the applications compare the the Line 6/Variax modeling applications? I understand that the Variax converts to digital all the analog sounds and then transforms them to output as the chosen sound. It is very decent technology. In what way is this similar and in what way is this different?? Thanks for the patience and responses.

Hi LP:

Okay, undertood. I was confused by your previous post...as it seemed like you were asking specifically in regards to your GNX 2, and it wasn't clear that you were interested in the new GSP1101.

I think we will have to wait for DPOL (Death Pimp of Love :lol:) to reply back on this matter...as I have not received my GSP1101 yet. DPOL should be able to give you his appreciation of how easy it is to dial your tones on the GSP1101.

However, from reading the User Manual (which I encourage you to download and read), it would appear that this is one of the key strengths of the unit. The Tone and Effects Libraries seem quite innovative, and they look to be an very intuitive way to quickly audtion and tweak various models and effects so that you can nail a particular tone/sound you are looking for. The user interface on this GSP1101 seems very, VERY well thought out. This all means that we will be able to spend more time playing, and less time tweaking :thu:

• Members

man, I go away for a day and you guys get active on the questions. By the way that dork in the Gear Wire video demo is me. I do that every year for the guys at gear wire, I also do the stuff for Craig Anderton and the reviews here at Harmony Central.

All I can say is, "Yah, what Death Pimp said".

As far as programing you should be able to cruise through it. Most of the editable parameters are similar to the variables on the GNX Series. The only reason you can't transfer the presets from GNX units is that this is a new chip (AudioDNA2) and new amp models and effetc models. The whole architecture of the tone has been upgraded. You can though piece a preset together looking at the values within a GNX preset.

• Members

man, I go away for a day and you guys get active on the questions. By the way that dork in the Gear Wire video demo is me. I do that every year for the guys at gear wire, I also do the stuff for Craig Anderton and the reviews here at Harmony Central.

All I can say is, "Yah, what Death Pimp said".

As far as programing you should be able to cruise through it. Most of the editable parameters are similar to the variables on the GNX Series. The only reason you can't transfer the presets from GNX units is that this is a new chip (AudioDNA2) and new amp models and effetc models. The whole architecture of the tone has been upgraded. You can though piece a preset together looking at the values within a GNX preset.

Dougsthang:

I had hoped that you would specifically comment to, and answer my questions/posts regarding the hook up of my external stompbox pedals and my ValveKing 100 preamp, with the GSP1101?

I have sent you two (2) PMs on this matter.

I am just looking for you to confirm that what I hope to accomplish with the GSP1101 is, in fact, one of it's capabilities (..or not). Please refer to my previous posts, above.

-- or -- did you mean to confirm everything when you said..."Yah, what Death Pimp said". Truth be told...I was hoping for a bit more clear, and less cryptic reply to my setup questions.

To wit...please refer to my marked-up diagram (taken from the GSP1101's User Manual), in which I question "is this where I hook up my external stompbox pedals?". See my previous post(s), above.

I would appreciate confirming corroboration from yourself, due to the fact that you are directly involved with DigiTech, and this product in particular.

And for the record...I never called you a "dork", or made any derogartory comments whatsoever, with regards to your video on Gearwire from the Summer NAMM show. I thought you did an admirable job in explaining the new features and capabilities of the GSP1101. Nevertheless, I still have some questions with regards to how I integrate my existing Peavey ValveKing 100 watt amp head, along with my beloved Analog Man stombox pedals.

Cheers,

Deuterium

• Members

No, I was just calling myself a dork.

As for the diagram you could run your pedals there but I would probably run through your pedals first then into the front of the GSP and out the back into the amp. Either way you will be adding some inherant noise from your pedals. Thus by running into the pedals first you could utilize the Noise Gate within the GSP to hide the noise from your pedals.

The first thing I would do is set up the GSP as stated in set up #7. Get a feel for the unit within your rig. Get you ears around the tonal possibilites. Then when you're comfortable plug your pedals into the signal chain. I really don't see a difference plugging in pre or post unit as stated though I would probably go pre. You should think of the GSP as a virtual pedal in the guitar signal path. All the amp models and delays and reverbs will be flowing within the effects loop.

• Members

No, I was just calling myself a dork.

As for the diagram you could run your pedals there but I would probably run through your pedals first then into the front of the GSP and out the back into the amp. Either way you will be adding some inherant noise from your pedals. Thus by running into the pedals first you could utilize the Noise Gate within the GSP to hide the noise from your pedals.

The first thing I would do is set up the GSP as stated in set up #7. Get a feel for the unit within your rig. Get you ears around the tonal possibilites. Then when you're comfortable plug your pedals into the signal chain. I really don't see a difference plugging in pre or post unit as stated though I would probably go pre. You should think of the GSP as a virtual pedal in the guitar signal path. All the amp models and delays and reverbs will be flowing within the effects loop.

Okay, understood.

Thanks for the feedback, Doug. :thu:

• Members

However, from reading the User Manual (which I encourage you to download and read), it would appear that this is one of the key strengths of the unit. The Tone and Effects Libraries seem quite innovative, and they look to be an very intuitive way to quickly audtion and tweak various models and effects so that you can nail a particular tone/sound you are looking for. The user interface on this GSP1101 seems very, VERY well thought out. This all means that we will be able to spend more time playing, and less time tweaking
:thu:

You're damn right about that, GSP1101 is really intuitive and easy to program !

I want to take advantage of this thread to expose a little problem I have with mine. This is the mail I did send to digitech this morning :

Hi,

I just receive my new GSP1101 and I have a strange problem : during 5 minutes starting from the moment I switch on the unit, I get a noise coming from the left channel of the headphones output. This "parasite noise" is doing some TIC...TIC..TIC TIC TIC..TIC.....TIC TIC... I only have this problem with the headphones output and it is not linked with the output level, I mean, if I turn the output level completly off, the noise is still there, with same level... The noise is leaving progressively (lots of "TIC", then less, then after 5 minutes, no more). It's like the unit has to warmup, then the noise disappear...

I'm going to contact my store but I wanted your opinion on this one before.

Thanks for any help.

I was wondering if someone has the same problem here ?

Or maybe can help me to solve it ...

Thanks anyway.

And beside my problem, this unit is above everything I knew, everybody should try this gear, awesome.

• Members

I want to take advantage of this thread to expose a little problem I have with mine. This is the mail I did send to digitech this morning :

Hi,

I just receive my new GSP1101 and I have a strange problem : during 5 minutes starting from the moment I switch on the unit, I get a noise coming from the left channel of the headphones output. This "parasite noise" is doing some TIC...TIC..TIC TIC TIC..TIC.....TIC TIC... I only have this problem with the headphones output and it is not linked with the output level, I mean, if I turn the output level completly off, the noise is still there, with same level... The noise is leaving progressively (lots of "TIC", then less, then after 5 minutes, no more). It's like the unit has to warmup, then the noise disappear...

Thanks for any help.

Thanks anyway.

And beside my problem, this unit is above everything I knew, everybody should try this gear, awesome.

Wow Golguth! Your last sentence pretty much sums it up. I hope DigiTech will be able to get a handle on that temporary noise issue you are experiencing. However, even if they can't, it sounds like something that you will be able to live with (given that it completely goes away after 5 minutes), even though it is a nuisance.

My real test of this unit will be how transparent it sounds, when using the "Preamp Loop". That is,when I have my stompbox pedals hooked up, and I am using my Peavey Valveking's preamp. I am hoping it lives up to it's promise of not messing with my existing tone.

• Members

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

Thanks anyway.

Just checked my unit via the headphone output. I never had even tried that yet. Went through several presets and listened but could not produce the audible ticking. Their was a loud tick when the system first loads a preset after power up but after that dead quite. Sounds like an isolated problem.

We did suss out an issue within the Matchless amp model. Some of the early units produced had what is equivalent to a bad virtual tube within the model. After playing that particular model for 15 minutes or so the sound will degredate. We will have a fix up soon on our website that you'll be able to download via the USB.

• Members

Deuterium : I'm quite sure it will not mess up with your existing tones.

Dougsthang : the loud tick you're hearing on the first loads of a preset is what I'm hearing during 5 minutes, and not on a regular basis...

I'll see with my store, hope they will exchange it fast because, I'm allready addicted to this unit

• Members

We did suss out an issue within the Matchless amp model. Some of the early units produced had what is equivalent to a bad virtual tube within the model. After playing that particular model for 15 minutes or so the sound will degredate. We will have a fix up soon on our website that you'll be able to download via the USB.

Does this problem could have something to do with mine ?

• Members

All of the above. I find myself using more of the effects combined with my Boogie. I am also using the amp models but only for a few presets. I love my boogie but every now and then need a Marshall or a Fender Deluxe or a Matchless, now I have that.

• Members

I can say without a shame that this unit will replace evreything on stage for me, period.

My GSP1101 will arrive tomorrow...so I hope to be able to post back here with a quick review and impressions, assuming I can break myself away.

Getting new gear is like having Christmas all over again ! :cool::)

• Members

I ran thru the manual and it doesn't say anything about efx chain setup. Can you actually edit the signal chain/path or is it a fixed route? I mean, can you put the modulation, delays and reverbs before the amp sim or mix them up?

Also, does anybody knows something more specific about the release of it's midi foot controller?

• Members

When we wrote the presets we put the effects in the logical place in the flow of the signal but you can place any effect either pre or post.

The foot controller will be available in January and will be very road worthy with vacuum switches, a super robust treadle and a nice bright display.

Archived