Tonebender Mark II Professional.....

companyman

• Members

companyman wrote:

Well, the pedal didn't work when I got it home GAH!!!!

Took it to a tech hopefully he can fix it. Is it typical for a Tonebender mark II pro to be battery operation only? Is it possible to convert it to barrel style power?

Most Tonebenders use germanium PNP transistors and are therefore positive ground. It CAN be converted to use external power, but it will have to have its own power supply or you'll have to use a pricey isolated (VooDoo Labs or Cioks) power supply. A 1spot, fuel tank or "DC brick" type power supply won't work on a positve ground pedal. 

All those old fuzz and wah pedals were battery only! DC power jacks weren't common until the 80's. 

• Members

Hope the chips aren't fried...the dude knocked. $20 when we met at the last minute, said the volume was low when he tried it, but we both thought the battery was likely the problem....I tried 3 different batteries nothing....so would I not be able to use my Furman powered boards 9v battery clip cable to run this?

• Members

companyman wrote:

....so would I not be able to use my Furman powered boards 9v battery clip cable to run this?

You can use a 9 v battery clip thing as long as it's the only pedal on that power supply. So for testing the tonebender by itself it's no problem. But if you try to put other (negative ground) pedals in the chain and power them off the same power supply, you'll short-circuit the power supply. 

• Members

Just got my Tonebender back from the tech, it had a bad battery clip. I really think this is a fuzz pedal that I am bonding with, it stacks really well with my TREX Yellow Drive after it, the curve control on the TREX makes for a wide range of sounds. The Tonebender's tone control isn't a treble roll off kinda sounds more like a bias to me.... Anyway I finally found a fuzz I can dig !

• Members

companyman wrote:

Just got my Tonebender back from the tech, it had a bad battery clip. I really think this is a fuzz pedal that I am bonding with, it stacks really well with my TREX Yellow Drive after it, the curve control on the TREX makes for a wide range of sounds. The Tonebender's tone control isn't a treble roll off kinda sounds more like a bias to me.... Anyway I finally found a fuzz I can dig !

Tonebenders did not have a tone control, so Bias control makes more sense, original vintage tonebenders (with the OC81D trannies) having the bias as high as -8.5V and with a Bias control, this can be adjusted up or down by a volt or so.

• Members

That makes sense to my ears Bieke, the knob says tone but sure sounds like bias or maybe volts to me. If I turn the tone all the way to the left the sound gets thinner quieter with more treble. If I turn it to the right it gets fatter louder and bassier. Anyway I knda like fuzz now....well at least this one.

Archived