Genre of the Week: Electro --> March 1st-14th

stikygum

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Grumphh, what synth did you use for that vocally sound? Sounded good.

Ihm1138, I like the composition. The Metavox didn't sound too intelligible, but was a nice touch in there nonetheless.

I'll have to get caught up and listen to the rest and get my track on here...

• Members

Any web-heads want to build an archive where we can have GoTW, with mp3s of the submissions, and a section for late submissions as well?

I mean I know it's a lot of work, but it would be cool as hell, I'd like to go back and do all the weeks I've missed.

I'll volunteer - I've got the server space and I do that kind of stuff for a living.

• Members

how would the submission process work?

I was thinking it could just be a simple website with member login to keep out the spammers, a link for each week-genre, with artist and track mp3's and an upload section within, so you could just upload your file directly.

I think it'd be cool to have a voting system too just for fun. We'd need some rules though, like no voting until the week is up, so everyone has time to get something in and you have to listen to ALL the songs before you vote.

• Members

I think it'd be cool to have a voting system too just for fun. We'd need some rules though, like no voting until the week is up, so everyone has time to get something in and you have to listen to ALL the songs before you vote.

I guess if that's what others want, but I originally thought this would serve as a place to learn how to write certain genres of music, not as a competition. I think trying to construct a track to beat out others can a lot of times work against people. Not like that's the mindset going in, but it's still a little more added pressure. It can push people to do certain things, but I think overall it would limit people's creativity and willingness to go out on a limb and try something. It might scare some peeps off from attempting. Maybe by having a comments section for each song, people can leave their constructive feedback instead.

• Members

I guess if that's what others want, but I originally thought this would serve as a place to learn how to write certain genres of music, not as a competition. I think trying to construct a track to beat out others can a lot of times work against people. Not like that's the mindset going in, but it's still a little more added pressure. It can push people to do certain things, but I think overall it would limit people's creativity and willingness to go out on a limb and try something. It might scare some peeps off from attempting. Maybe by having a comments section for each song, people can leave their constructive feedback instead.

I thought some healthy competition would be a good thing, it's just for fun indeed, it's not ABOUT the competition. I agree the learning aspect is what it's all about, but if no one else wants it that's fine. A comment section is probably a better idea, I would hate to see someone get discouraged thinking it's a serious competition.

But I am really excited about this and I'm looking foward to seeing what Awake77 comes up with.

• Members

Comments are good. After the House genre, some people hit my up with friend requests. I got to listen to their stuff and feel the need to step up my game a bit. No harm in a little sense of competition to push improvement.

This is a good thing. ;)

• Members
I thought some healthy competition would be a good thing, it's just for fun indeed, it's not ABOUT the competition. I agree the learning aspect is what it's all about, but if no one else wants it that's fine. A comment section is probably a better idea, I would hate to see someone get discouraged thinking it's a serious competition.

But I am really excited about this and I'm looking foward to seeing what Awake77 comes up with.

What do you guys want as a subdomain?

I'm thinking of something really simple with an upload form, and a main page that displays the list of GOTW topics with a subset of users and submissions. Maybe we could slick it up an have an RSS feed with latest track updates, etc.

Hit me with some ideas! It'll be a cool project, I'm looking forward to it :)

• Members
Need to fix your link, Awake. edit: NM, I did it for you.
:D
Listening now...

Cool.
:cool:
Whether it's Electro or not, I don't know but I like it anyway. The voicey-things going on combined witih the whole thing reminded me of
this.

I will take that as a compliment, EP! ;)

Thanks for listening...

• Members

Here's my entry:

though:)

Not electro, closer to my psudo-electro submission I think. I think we're onto some new genre here.

Once you get this site up I might start on a remix of forum submissions for a local dance party. Can you make the MP3s streaming as well as downloadable?

As for comments, I think you could improve the song by adding a big dub flavored delay/verb to the last hit/kick before the final breakdown.

Archived