Genre of the Week: Electro --> March 1st-14th

stikygum

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

jamming with tapes
- your doing it wrong.

Clearly. Tonight, though, I resolve NOT to start WoW and instead make with teh jams. Of some kind. Which I will record.

I hereby promise to post something tonight, no matter how insipid or lame I think it is. BY THE POWERS OF GRAYSKULL!!

• Members
Got home last night and I my earlier enthusiasm for making another Electro track apparently left for the day. So I played WoW.

Yeah.

:facepalm:

That's funny, it happened to me too. I still want to do it, but I ended up playing Yoshi's Island with my daughter. :D

Tonight is probably Left 4 Dead night with some friends, and then tomorrow will be back to Electroland...

• Members

http://share.ovi.com/media/lhm1138.public/lhm1138.10001

Here's something I threw together on my MC909. Used a Metavox for vocoding and some samples from a JV1080 and a certain James Bond soundtrack. Sorry for the repetitive drums, it was probably more fun to make than listen to. Ce la vie. You hear the notorious sustain dropout that everyone slags the 909 for on the pads at the end of the track. Recorded straight to CEP2 from the MC909.

• Members
Clearly. Tonight, though, I resolve NOT to start WoW and instead make with teh jams. Of some kind. Which I will record.

I hereby promise to post something tonight, no matter how insipid or lame I think it is. BY THE POWERS OF GRAYSKULL!!

OK, so... I followed through, but the results are definitely not Electro, so go look in the "Post your music" stickie for the questionable results. :lol:

• Members
http://share.ovi.com/media/lhm1138.public/lhm1138.10001

Here's something I threw together on my MC909. Used a Metavox for vocoding and some samples from a JV1080 and a certain James Bond soundtrack. Sorry for the repetitive drums, it was probably more fun to make than listen to. Ce la vie. You hear the notorious sustain dropout that everyone slags the 909 for on the pads at the end of the track. Recorded straight to CEP2 from the MC909.

Seriously dug a lot of this man, good work. :thu:

• Members

You guys are all so damn good I feel like a total newb.

Here's my first GTW submission "The Hive"

http://www.myspace.com/hexeract

Can't really say it's traditional Electro, but the vibe is there. I might try a more pure electro one.

If I'm too far off the mark let me know.

Please critique. I plan on polishing it up a bit. All input welcome.

• Members

I realize now that my track is Electro Fail, gonna have to do a do-over.

Don't think so, unless you want to put Drexciya in that category as well, which I sure as hell would not!! :thu:

Thanks, EP, I'm glad you enjoyed it! JD-800 all the way baby!

• Members

You guys are all so damn good I feel like a total newb.

Here's my first GTW submission "The Hive"

Can't really say it's traditional Electro, but the vibe is there. I might try a more pure electro one.

If I'm too far off the mark let me know.

Please critique. I plan on polishing it up a bit. All input welcome.

Overall I like it. I would use a different bass voice, maybe something more percussive. I liked the choppy thing, that lent a lot to the Electro.

• Members

The buzzy bass thing that opens the piece and continues throughout. But that's just me.
:wave:
It's good stuff, moar plz!

Yeah well that was the patch that inspired the piece, so I can't see fit to turn my back on it. I'm such an analog whore but I don't really have much analog equipment, so I just figured I'd embrace digital and make the most over the top digital patch I could muster.

Still needs mastering and probably a remix.

• Members
Yeah well that was the patch that inspired the piece, so I can't see fit to turn my back on it. I'm such an analog whore but I don't really have much analog equipment, so I just figured I'd embrace digital and make the most over the top digital patch I could muster.

I cannot fault this. :thu:

• Members

Good! Is that a classic Casio VL Tone rhythm I hear in the background?

Actually, its supposed to be but its actually a Juno 106!

JX-8P Kick drum

JP-8000 snare, maracas

D-550 "anvil"

MKS-50 toms

JD-800 and JD-990 everything else

• Members

i'm assuming you're pretty fond of that track. did you barf when you heard the Missy Elliot track that sampled it?

Hey, as you said, the history of art is the history of horking other artist's toques.

Archived